Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help on charcoal filter placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver74insocal
hi guys!!
i am a proud new owner of a silver 74 914 1.8. i bought the car not running and the stock FI in pieces in the trunk. i am trying to put it all together but cant figure whether the charcoal canister goes in the front or the engine compartment. :blink:anybody got a pic or some help thanks. also wanted to know if anyones going to the pomona show tomorrow? cant wait to see some teeners!! thanks guys< Dave piratenanner.gif
JeffBowlsby
1974 was a transition year for the charcoal filter style and location, but it was always in the engine bay for the 1.8L cars, although in two different locations.

See the two diagrams here at this link:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

biggrin.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 5 2009, 10:10 PM) *

1974 was a transition year for the charcoal filter style and location, but it was always in the engine bay for the 1.8L cars, although in two different locations.

See the two diagrams here at this link:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

biggrin.gif

tanks a bunch!!
Dave_Darling
If there are two plastic lines along the driver's side longitudinal (that show up in the left-front corner of the engine bay), the cannister goes on top of the fuel tank. If those are not there, but there is a small metal pipe coming out of the center tunnel by the fuel hoses, then the cannister goes in the engine bay.

--DD
underthetire
I know the correct answer..........

In the garbage can ! welcome.png
Rand
Yeh... ditch it. You need it for concourse judging or something? If not, take the opportunity to clean things up. Not like it's doing anything anymore.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 6 2009, 12:19 PM) *

Yeh... ditch it. You need it for concourse judging or something? If not, take the opportunity to clean things up. Not like it's doing anything anymore.

so it's not needed at all for the stock FI? im not trying for concourse just trying to get it on the road for now. Thanks for the responses guys
ClayPerrine
Do NOT ditch the charcoal canister.

If you do, you will end up smelling gas inside your car, and you will make more pollution. Frankly, it is a small amount of weight, it takes absolutely NO horsepower from the engine, and it helps the environment. Please hook it back up.

Now, to answer your question...

On a 74 1.8L, the charcoal canister mounted either on the battery tray or the back wall of the engine compartment. One of the big lines comes off the fan and connects to the side of the canister that has the small line fitting. The other big line attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner housing. The small line hooks to the plastic line by the fuel lines.

underthetire
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 6 2009, 12:25 PM) *

so it's not needed at all for the stock FI? im not trying for concourse just trying to get it on the road for now. Thanks for the responses guys

Has nothing to do with the FI. Lots of people here have deleted it. Few things worse than a canister of un-known condition comming apart and plugging everythin up. I'm all for non-horsepower robbing emmisions control, but after almost 40 years, i doubt the charcoal is even active anymore.
Rand
Ditch it with intelligence. It is a piece of useless crap. Removing it does NOT mean you will smell gas inside your car. If you can't figure that out on your own, then yes, hook it back up. Use some common sense to deal with the vapor lines. It doesn't function any more, so you decide whether you want to keep it or not.
JeffBowlsby
The charcoal can be replaced inexpensively, on the plastic canisters (later style). Just pop off the end cap.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 6 2009, 12:47 PM) *

Do NOT ditch the charcoal canister.

If you do, you will end up smelling gas inside your car, and you will make more pollution. Frankly, it is a small amount of weight, it takes absolutely NO horsepower from the engine, and it helps the environment. Please hook it back up.

Now, to answer your question...

On a 74 1.8L, the charcoal canister mounted either on the battery tray or the back wall of the engine compartment. One of the big lines comes off the fan and connects to the side of the canister that has the small line fitting. The other big line attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner housing. The small line hooks to the plastic line by the fuel lines.

thanks, i will try and find evidence of the original spot as it was removed when i bought the car.

i also noticed not a single pic of a 74 1.8 engine bay in the forums..wondering if this was not a popular model that year or perhaps they arent good candidates for restore...just thinking out loud blink.gif thanks again for the info guys
Rand

No, it's not needed. It's a completely useless lump of coal that no longer has the ability to do what it originally did.

You could replace it with a new lump and it would make Ralph Nader happy. At its best it was an environmentalist pleaser.

Yeah, it's important we filter the gas fumes through some piece of add on shit. Genius. Like our old cars need that.

Flame me.

It is absolutely not needed and has ZERO impact on engine performance.
Drums66
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 6 2009, 07:48 PM) *

No, it's not needed. It's a completely useless lump

It is absolutely not needed and has ZERO impact on engine performance.

wrightee
I also noticed not a single pic of a 74 1.8 engine bay in the forums..wondering if this was not a popular model that year or perhaps they arent good candidates for restore...just thinking out loud blink.gif thanks again for the info guys
Here is my '75 1.8 engine photo. You'll note that the canister is mounted on the rain sheild...I do not know if this was the original placement, or if a PO moved it, but it does seem to be in the way...and I can't easily access the bolts on the strap to remove it.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.