Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Tube Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I've got a 71 and I'm converting to sideshift. I'm getting ready to repair the clutch tube and I mocked up the engine bar to see that the clutch tube matches up with the hole in the engine bar.

Mine didn't seem to match up well. The tube coming out of the firewall was slightly pointing upward and seems like it's not pointing towards the hole in the engine bar.

In the classic clutch tube repair thread, there are 2 pics of firewalls where one tube exits high with respect to the bottom of the firewall like mine, and the other exits low by the bottom of the firewall. Pics from the thread are below.

Is there a difference between tail- and side-shift clutch tube arrangement?

Going side-shift, should I mount the clutch tube lower like the bottom picture?

High exit from firewall like my 71.

Click to view attachment

Low exit from firewall.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think they're all the same. It's probably just car to car differences (unless some previous owner was 'fixing' things). I have a 70 and a 73, and they both appear to be the same.
Spoke
Thanks George,

I know the 914 when manufactured had a lot of hand-work done for fitment, but this seems like it would have been a stamp and the hole location should be standard.

I decided to go with the lower mounting. I'll use the lower hole on the replacement piece.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.