Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Car Blanket?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I was looking at Northern Tools electric auto heat stuff.
Interior santa_smiley.gif Electric Auto Blanket on 12 volt 2amps for $25
Anyone using one of these and how's the power pull on the cigarette lighter plug?
jt914-6
Bill...I don't know how warm it would get with 2 amps, but better than nothing. I'm using a "back seat heater". It is connected directly to the battery (in front trunk) and uses 25 amps and has a 30 amp fuse. It does a decent job as I've got headers on the six. Also have a higher output alt. than stock and a new jell cell battery.
Also, I'm using heat from the front oil cooler. It is enclosed with a squirrel cage fan mounted to it. A hose from the fan is hooked to a "T" and goes to where the stock heater hoses connect. It takes a while to get the oil warmed up, but when you do it works. Ron (pcar916) is doing the about the same with his and is getting about 110 degree heat to the windshield....

http://www.skingcompany.com/detail.asp?product_id=3000c
wayne1234
Those little electric heaters dont do much I tried one on a old snow plow truck that I had. less than a small hair dryer on low
jt914-6
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Dec 6 2009, 11:16 PM) *

Those little electric heaters dont do much I tried one on a old snow plow truck that I had. less than a small hair dryer on low

When it's cold, and you're cold anything is better than nothing. It doesn't take much heat to warm up a 914 cockpit compaired to a snow plow's larger area inside.
shoguneagle
I kinda like the use of electric to get any heat started; I am building a oil heat source coming from the engine outlet and before the front oil cooler thermostat valve for long term driving heating and defrosting needs. I know oil and water will heat at about the same rate, and take time to reach some temperature level. Everything is tied to the existing heater/defroster/fresh air system located in the car.

I am running aftermarket headers on a 3.2 Carrera engine.

My initial investigation shows I should not have any problem once the oil reaches operating temperature except I may have too much cooling capacity. Living in the High Country of Arizona (7,000 ft) this may be the case, but I have built the conversion to handle the desert heats (around Phoenix, Mojave, Texas, and New Mexico). This I may have to adjust later after road tests. Right now I need any information regarding any oil heating systems people are using; and, information on the short startup heating cycle.

Pardon me if this background informaton is considered "robbing the thread" but since oil heating was mentioned here. Feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail.

I would be interested if anyone has information on oil heat source such as temperature ranges, times to reach temperature, etc. The information regarding the electrical sources is important to me since I would like to use it until the oil heat source comes up to some operating level.

Steve Hurt
ottox914
I tried the small electric heater thing, and while it did provide something sort of like heat, it didn't impress me. Currently using the heated blanket thing, and I'm not sure if I'm staying warm due to the heat in the blanket, or just because I'm wrapped up in a blanket. Best heat was with the SSI heat exchangers, but with the turbo exhaust system, that option is out. Been thinking of adding an in seat heater to the drivers seat, but don't know how well the race seat would take to being ripped apart and put back together again. Best solution would be a warm truck and trailer to get the car to some of the earlier/colder autocross events, but that isn't going to happen. So my options remain: bundle up and blanket up, or take the wife's TT.
kfish914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Dec 7 2009, 12:07 AM) *

Bill...I don't know how warm it would get with 2 amps, but better than nothing. I'm using a "back seat heater". It is connected directly to the battery (in front trunk) and uses 25 amps and has a 30 amp fuse. It does a decent job as I've got headers on the six. Also have a higher output alt. than stock and a new jell cell battery.
Also, I'm using heat from the front oil cooler. It is enclosed with a squirrel cage fan mounted to it. A hose from the fan is hooked to a "T" and goes to where the stock heater hoses connect. It takes a while to get the oil warmed up, but when you do it works. Ron (pcar916) is doing the about the same with his and is getting about 110 degree heat to the windshield....

http://www.skingcompany.com/detail.asp?product_id=3000c

Can you post pictures of your oil cooler/heater set up. I have been trying to think of an idea for my six conversion.
thanks
jt914-6
Can you post pictures of your oil cooler/heater set up. I have been trying to think of an idea for my six conversion.
thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a couple....inlet of fan mounted to cooler enclosure....two speed fan....exhaust hose to PVC "T" from Lowe's.......hose to stock heater hose inlets....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
kfish914
Thanks, I will have to figure a different route for the hose. I am planning on keeping the gas tank were it is. good idea.
shelby/914
I was just looking through yesterdays mail and saw a Brookstone catalog. They had a seat cover with a built in 12volt heating system for $79. I'm tempted to get one for my wifes old Expedition. Love the ones in my BMW, especially since it was 8 degrees here last night.
914werke
Just PU a Snuggie biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
BMW motorcycles have heated vests and pants that plug into the outlets on the bike. The bike easily handles it and it allows one to ride in cold weather. You would not have to reinvent the wheel, but they are not cheap.
jd74914
You know, my car doesn't have the greatest heat and bundling up has always worked for me. For me the scary part is the lack of good defrost/defogging.

I'm going to have to check out that heated motorcycle vest. That could be interesting. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
The times I have driven my car ~30 I just bundled up a little and it was not a big deal. Actually (and this is due to the thin sound proofing I am sure) but I could feel a little heat radiating from the engine bay into the cabin.

The only things that ended up getting cold on my 45 mile drive to and from work in the cold were my feet. But that is due to the fact that I have yet to plug up all the holes into the cabin from the old HVAC that I removed.

On the inside of the windshield I have a good coating of Rain-X anti-fog compound. It works really well, but on cold humid nights I did have to wipe the windshield down - so I also keep a roll of paper towel behind my seat.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.