Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling the Grommet for the Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm trying to pull the rubber "grommet" under the tank that holds the two hardlines where they go through the firewall. It doesn't want to budge but I haven't really unloaded on it yet for fear of either ripping it or not getting it back in. Is there a trick and is it difficult to get it back in?

Kev
jim_hoyland
popcorn[1].gif I'm getting ready to do this too....
Gint
They're easier to remove after the lines are pulled out of the grommets. If you take a large blade screwdriver and carefully push the grommet from the outside circumference in towards the center, they will usually bend and from there you can pry them out. If they are really dried up they'll crack and split no matter what you do. But in my experience those grommets usually come out OK.
VaccaRabite
Pull the lines out of the grommet first. That will make it a TON easier to move. You can also use some dish soap (liquid) as lubricant. Work it in with a q-tip.

If you are going to stainless lines, I found it was MUCH easier to open up the hole were the bigger tube is going to go with a drill press, otherwise it is a total bitch to get the tube back in place, especially if it is pre-flared.

Is your grommet the big rubber block, or the smaller individual grommets? Mine was the big rubber block, and it was pretty sturdy. I don't know about the smaller ones.

Zach

kconway
Big rubber block.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif I will be doing this project /job soon. does anyone know if the rubber gromet/ gromets...front and rear....are available NEW?.....great question, and answers thanks guys...... popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ME733 @ Dec 7 2009, 03:47 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif I will be doing this project /job soon. does anyone know if the rubber gromet/ gromets...front and rear....are available NEW?.....great question, and answers thanks guys...... popcorn[1].gif

There was a thread about just that a week ago or so. I provided parts numbers and i believe the original poster was able to order them from Porsche ...

shades.gif Andy
andys
If I remember correctly, it was easier to push it out from inside the car than to pry it from the outside. For installing any kind of rubber grommet, hose, etc, hands-down the best thing I have found is K-Y Jelly.....snyde remarks sure to follow :-)

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.