Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help diagnosing Tranny leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
My 75 914 was in staorage for quite a long time and now that it is out of tstorage the valves are now properly adjusted the carbs have been cleaned and in sync and it runs beautifully. I do have some clutch chatter and I have a leak coming from somewhere in the front of the tranny. I know I will have to replace my clutch disc which I have no problem doing and am wondering which seal is normally the culprit and if you have ideas could you please pass them along to me. It is hard to tell if it is Transmisssion gear oil or moto oil.
dangrouche
you have to smell the oil; tranny oil is stronger and stinky smell when compared to motor oil. tranny oil is also thicker than SAE20-50 or SAE30. touch a drop between two fingers and sniff. The only seal back there for the tranny is the input shaft, which I believe is higher than the input shaft seal and hard to remove unless the input shaft is removed (tranny apart). i have never had a leaky input shaft seal. your likely candidate would be your flywheel crankshaft seal, about 3 inches in diameter. you will need to change the O ring , the felt washer as well when you are in there. these are the bare minimium items to change when the tranny and motor is undocked. go to the pelican board for technical writeup for a clutch change.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Dec 7 2009, 09:11 AM) *

you have to smell the oil; tranny oil is stronger and stinky smell when compared to motor oil. tranny oil is also thicker than SAE20-50 or SAE30. touch a drop between two fingers and sniff. The only seal back there for the tranny is the input shaft, which I believe is higher than the input shaft seal and hard to remove unless the input shaft is removed (tranny apart). i have never had a leaky input shaft seal. your likely candidate would be your flywheel crankshaft seal, about 3 inches in diameter. you will need to change the O ring , the felt washer as well when you are in there. these are the bare minimium items to change when the tranny and motor is undocked. go to the pelican board for technical writeup for a clutch change.

the 901 seal is easy to remove the early 72 73 915 is the one where the shaft has to be removed!
jaxdream
Ifen you do pull the trany , check your clutch fork piviot that is sometimes a leaky point as the hole for the stud goes through into the gear housing where the oil could come from, just an FYI thing, good luck.

Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.