Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 Points replacement opinions -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All –
I am looking for some opinions on drop in points replacements for a -6. I am running an MSD 6A, will also be using their coil. I spoke to them on the phone just now and they simply say normal points or any points replacement will work fine – they would not give any reccomendations.

I am using the good old fashioned $60.00 comp-u-fire in the -4 and it has never let me down – but it has always made me a bit nervous based on some previous threads. I am a huge believer in how important a good/cohesive ignition is to a motor. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I would prefer something without an external “box” if possible. Already hiding the MSD box and tach adapter…

beerchug.gif
elmonte
I've been using the Crane optical trigger for 7yrs with the stock CDI with no problems at all

Click to view attachment

Cheers
ClayPerrine
I have a pertronix for my six. Been in since I put the six in the car. Not a single ignition problem.

brant
Scott,

go pertronix
I've been running it for 6 years on the race car with zero failures
i heard all of the horror stories out there and always carry a spare, probably the reason I've never had problems.

your options are:
-points (put them in a zip lock in the glovebox as your spare)
-pertronix (no exterior box to hide, more stock looking... plus I chose them because lighter than an optical conversion)
-optical conversion such as crane
-crank fire ($$$$$)
jt914-6
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 7 2009, 01:35 PM) *

As a side note, I would prefer something without an external “box” if possible.

That leaves out the Crain...It has an external "box".....
elmonte
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Dec 7 2009, 02:54 PM) *

They all need a external box, be it a stock CDI or MSD or the Crane box. The Crane optical trigger will work with all of them.

Cheers
Mark Henry
If the MSD is just using points as a trigger and the full load of a regular ignition system is not going through the points, then normal points may never wear out.
I bet it's the reason MSD said just regular points are fine, they know that's all it needs but are tired of arguing the point.
elmonte
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 7 2009, 05:32 PM) *

If the MSD is just using points as a trigger and the full load of a regular ignition system is not going through the points, then normal points may never wear out.
I bet it's the reason MSD said just regular points are fine, they know that's all it needs but are tired of arguing the point.

This is also true with the stock CDI but the part of the points that rub the cam wears down and changes the dwell over time.That's why i went with the points replacement. If it was in an easier place to work on i would have left the points

Cheers
type2man
I installed a pertronix upgrade on my 6 and it works perfect. Too bad MSD doesnt have a 6 distributor yet. That would be a nice upgrade...
brant
QUOTE(elmonte @ Dec 7 2009, 05:34 PM) *

They all need a external box, be it a stock CDI or MSD or the Crane box. The Crane optical trigger will work with all of them.

Cheers

I believe scott said he has already accepted the fact that the MSD needs 1 box, and that he intends to hide it.....

as far as signal pick ups go the pertronix does not need an additional box... it is fully hidden within the distributor

thus the only answers to his search are:
... points
or... cool.gif pertronix

I too was leary of the pertronix after using an allison optical system for 15 years (allison sold the design to crane)

however after 6 years of full out racing with a pertronix, I am no longer concerned with their quality. You can NOT leave the ignition key on for over 10 seconds with the motor not running... otherwise there are few draw backs to the pertronix. And in full racing scenario, I chose the pertronix over the crane based on weight.
ahdoman
If you go Petronix try to use the version II. According to the manufacturer it is an upgrade; it won't burn out if the ignition is left on and there was something else that I don't remember at this time but it was well worth the extra bucks over the type I.
elmonte
Not trying to sell the Crane by any means, just setting the record straight.

I have the Crane set to work with just what you see in my first post with no

external box. Simple 3 wire hookup , 2 for the points and 1 for switched power.

Sorry for any misunderstandings

cheers
sww914
My Pertronix has been issue free for 9 years, the second one. The first one I wired backwards for a split second and I fried it due to the funky quilt of a wire harness the car had and my own inexperience.
jt914-6
QUOTE(elmonte @ Dec 7 2009, 06:34 PM) *

Cheers

If you think they all need an external box, then you don't know anything about an Ignitor....... shades.gif
ClayPerrine
Both of our 914s have pertronix. Mine is used to trigger the stock CD box. And I don't carry a spare pertronix, but I do have a second CD box mounted next to the first. Betty's has a pertronix in it, and until I accidentally hooked it up backwards, had a Type I pertronix that was about 12 years old in it. Never a problem with it. The replacement for my stupid trick is working fine too.

With the six, the points only get millivolts through them, and so they don't ever really pit. But the rubbing block wears, and the dwell increases. Plus the distributor wear will affect the timing and dwell, and you get point bounce at high RPM ranges. None of that is found with an electronic ignition conversion.

brant
QUOTE(elmonte @ Dec 7 2009, 11:00 PM) *

Not trying to sell the Crane by any means, just setting the record straight.

I have the Crane set to work with just what you see in my first post with no

external box. Simple 3 wire hookup , 2 for the points and 1 for switched power.

Sorry for any misunderstandings

cheers

Not trying to stir the pot.. but Elmonte what converts the signal on your crane from an optical? I thought that ALL optical sensors went from the sender in the distributor to a crane box and then to the coil

brant
elmonte
Here are the instructions for the installation of the crane optical with the
Msd-6 box. It is the same with the stock CDI box

Click to view attachment

The link to pelican part # PEL-sw715-0020

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...t_pg1.htm#item0

Hope this explains everything

Cheers
ericread
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 7 2009, 09:24 PM) *

If you go Petronix try to use the version II. According to the manufacturer it is an upgrade; it won't burn out if the ignition is left on and there was something else that I don't remember at this time but it was well worth the extra bucks over the type I.

Not to disagree, but in speaking directly with PerTronix personnel last year, there was not a type-II unit that was compatible with our 914 engines. Please let me know if I speak incorrectly on this subject.

My take on this is that if you enjoy putzing with points, then by all means, use points. I prefer to set the dist, grease it on a quarterly basis and let it run. So the PerTronix unit has worked very well for me.

Eric
Scott S
Thanks a million all. I am definitely going the pertronix route. If I can afford it, I will pick up two just for piece of mind.

Thanks!!
mskala
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 8 2009, 08:40 AM) *

... and you get point bounce at high RPM ranges. None of that is found with an electronic ignition conversion.

I can confirm the points bounce, I found that out many years ago when trying to
measure RPM electronically.
jt914-6
I was wrong in my earlier post about the Crain having a exterior box. The one I had on my six years ago did. The newest ones from Crain do not and I stand corrected..... pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.