Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 1.7 914 progress stereo install and the images
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blazerchad
IPB Image

So I bought the car... spied it in a driveway if anyone remembers my initial questions when I bought this car, had been sitting, over 8 years or so, had all its records...

images in a web form if interested...

chadboutin.com/914

pics are from a phone... just wanted to take some snaps after talking to owner... no for sale sign in it.. I just friend of a friend'ed the whole thing..

IPB Image
IPB Image

so i bought it, pushed it to a buddies house... di the tune-up, clean up, fuel hose replace, rebuilt the stock alt, new voltage reg, all new bulbs, dialetric grease on everything, cleaned all grounds... replaced the blinker/hi beam (the china one, 24 dollars!) horn still works... fixed door switches, interior light (another hella knockoff figured out how to get them to stay in!)

got to about this point in eugene working with Bruce at ww autoworks..

IPB Image

fixed this downtown portland... freezing cold... my shifter just went completely loose... scary...

IPB Image

got pissed one day in eugene (stuck there selling a house) tore my bumber, fogs, and those whole shooting match off, re-epoxied bolts in the nose rubber, dried it for two days, painted it with vinyl paint reinstalled, cleaned all fog grounds and connections, replaced bumper bolts (broke one of course) and bingo... fogs!

IPB Image

hard to see in the last image, but i resprayed my broken headlight shrouds after another epoxy filled afternoon and black plastic paint...
So Im stuck in eugene, doing all the little things to facilitate a real estate transaction.. Im basically stuck and on call. I wanted a stereo, in my stock porsche, without losing the stock am/fm I found in a junkyard.

IPB Image

So I went to 4 stereo stores.. hit the internet, looked at all the aftermarket stuff, got a quote. 850 for 2 speakers, 8 inch sub/enclosure, amp and deck. I say nay.

bought 2 4x6 sonys from walmart, 37 bucks,

IPB Image

bought a rockford 8 inch sub, and researched its enclosure size, took out my center console, the rug and pressboard number... used it as a basic template, buddy gave me some 1/2 wood, stripped an armchair's black vinyl from a dumpster and made this..
speaker, 65 bucks..
IPB Image

If you look closely, I installed under dash led tube lights.. hidden behind the lip of the dash, lights up sub when pass or driver door open, same for driver side, lights up fuse panel when door opens. cant see unless you put your head on the carpet.

isimple connection 45 bucks, ipod holder a marriage of a 9 dollar 12v heater from harbor freight and the plastic packaging from the new itouch from wal mart.. 190 bucks
IPB Image

volume control from the soundstream eq, 79 bucks (itouch volume locks out at dock connection)
IPB Image
ghetto cup holder salvaged from split center console, got tired of not being able to drive... coffee sucks in a 914... i had two issues with this, it was deteriorating and basically seeping a fine oil... maybe soaked in brake fluid is what im guessing.. dried it, cut it, bored it out, drove a starbucks cup cut in two through, vinyl spray...
IPB Image

many hours of scouring this site... many thanks to a and p in portland and ww autowerks in eugene... I even owe somebody on this forum 10 bucks for shipping a 1.7 dist. to me.. thanks man! i havent even installed it yet, i am researching your emails next...

Thanks to this forum and all who have made the same mistakes I have.. the 2 weeks of electrical was madness... but I wasnt going to instal andy power drain devices till i knew i had an abundance of power and grounds..

The stereo works, choose music from itouch, volume control/bass output and eq from eq, really gets loud, i made sure and used the isimple to connect audio to eq then two two channels in the amp, bridged the sub 4 ohm from a 90 dollar wal mart 600...

Spoke
Looks nice. Good work getting the car on the road.

I noticed the steering wheel was factory leather covered and now you have a wrap on it. Was the leather in bad shape?
blazerchad
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 7 2009, 01:40 PM) *

I noticed the steering wheel was factory leather covered and now you have a wrap on it. Was the leather in bad shape?

the leather wasnt great... that cover was a brooks auto parts wrap that i felt was moderately period...

blazerchad
IPB Image

a front shot after bumper and fog fix-up. The bumper had been impacted pretty good, squashed the plate holder, was able to pound it out, re shape the plate holder, took the lower valance off and rattle can resprayed... turned out to be quite a project, the front nose rubber was in sad shape... 2 bolts left holding it on...
blazerchad
IPB Image

IPB Image

a few from the second look at the 914.. p.o. almost fully in second shot..

first shot is a day after purchase after cleaning out all plumbing, cleaning fuel injectors...
markb
Very inventive! Lookin' good so far. Cleaning all those grounds makes a huge difference, doesn't it?
I can tell it's a 72 from the heater lever. One year only, and if you decide to replace it, give me a call (mine disappeared when I stripped the car down).
oldschool
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Dec 7 2009, 03:11 PM) *
a few from the second look at the 914.. p.o. almost fully in second shot..

first shot is a day after purchase after cleaning out all plumbing, cleaning fuel injectors...

So is it running? what did you do to clean out the fuel? and brakes
blazerchad
its running, been my daily ever since i woke it up. had to put 5 tanks of fuel through it, 2 injector cleaning rituals. had to swap two out right off...

Once I got the injectors sorted i started the vac hose diagnosis then timing. It took 4 days of tinkering, driving, tinkering... in the process put a new 1.7 brain, dizzy from bruce at ww autoworks (my advance plate bearing race was broken) got it timed and zoom... off she went. hasnt burned a bit of oil yet, tires will ave to be replaced due to a flat spot from storage...

Brakes are good, i think i have finally figured out the heads up flashing, the infernal flashing signal at key on position, can mean e brake (flashes slower) engaged, master cyl (flashes faster)... I noticed a passenger rear wheal leak from the front of the caliper, took the wheel off and looks as if over the years there has been a leak that coated the inside of the rim... maybe I can get that flashing to stop... hmmm....
Gint
Cool. Nice looking 914 too. Grats! smilie_pokal.gif

There is a reset switch on most of the master cylinders. I don't remember the details of early vs. late, etc... See if yours has one and push it to reset it. Then check to see if the light is still flashing. If so then you likely have a brake system issue somewhere. At the very least you should flush the brake fluid until it's clean and fresh. I'd probably do a full brake service if the car has been sitting at long time.

Oh, and is those tires are old and dry rotted you'd be better off with really cheap replacements. But you probably already know that.
oldschool
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Dec 8 2009, 12:01 AM) *

its running, been my daily ever since i woke it up. had to put 5 tanks of fuel through it, 2 injector cleaning rituals. had to swap two out right off...

Once I got the injectors sorted i started the vac hose diagnosis then timing. It took 4 days of tinkering, driving, tinkering... in the process put a new 1.7 brain, dizzy from bruce at ww autoworks (my advance plate bearing race was broken) got it timed and zoom... off she went. hasnt burned a bit of oil yet, tires will ave to be replaced due to a flat spot from storage...

Brakes are good, i think i have finally figured out the heads up flashing, the infernal flashing signal at key on position, can mean e brake (flashes slower) engaged, master cyl (flashes faster)... I noticed a passenger rear wheal leak from the front of the caliper, took the wheel off and looks as if over the years there has been a leak that coated the inside of the rim... maybe I can get that flashing to stop... hmmm....

Did you just run the car with out flushing the gas?
oldschool
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Dec 7 2009, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 7 2009, 01:40 PM) *

the leather wasnt great... that cover was a brooks auto parts wrap that i felt was moderately period...

So How did you work out the ipod set-up
blazerchad
i did have the tires inspected, they showed me the spot that needed attention, flat spots in the tires... the age and tire condition is fine just has a vibration at a certain speed... tire guy told me dont spend any money balancing or rotating... just look for new tires when im ready...

as for fuel, i did clean it out, not much fuel in it, p.o. tried to evacuate fuel at an earlier point.

Brakes i had checked out after i found the leak.. its a small leak, needs to be rebuilt im assuming.

looked at the master and tried to reset, but no avail.

did a ton of research right here about heads up flashing...
blazerchad
ipod setup.

walmart

8 gig itouch (mac)
4x6 dual cone speakers (sony)
600 watt amp (dual)

stereo store

rockford 8" sub
eq with volume control and sub control
itouch conncection (for iphone and itouch)
2 sets of rca 10' cords

connectivity

built the sub enclosure with the stock compartment as a template,
ran the ipod to the eq input, two outputs to 4 channel amp, 2 channels run the 4x6's 2 channels run the sub bridged.

eq adjusts volume and sub input,

took stock radio speaker outs and ran those into cd input of eq, now i have radio, just dont turn the volume up at the radio!!!
oldschool
QUOTE(blazerchad @ Dec 8 2009, 10:38 AM) *

ipod setup.

walmart

8 gig itouch (mac)
4x6 dual cone speakers (sony)
600 watt amp (dual)

stereo store

rockford 8" sub
eq with volume control and sub control
itouch conncection (for iphone and itouch)
2 sets of rca 10' cords

connectivity

built the sub enclosure with the stock compartment as a template,
ran the ipod to the eq input, two outputs to 4 channel amp, 2 channels run the 4x6's 2 channels run the sub bridged.

eq adjusts volume and sub input,

took stock radio speaker outs and ran those into cd input of eq, now i have radio, just dont turn the volume up at the radio!!!

very cool thanks
blazerchad
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 7 2009, 03:31 PM) *

Very inventive! Lookin' good so far. Cleaning all those grounds makes a huge difference, doesn't it?
I can tell it's a 72 from the heater lever. One year only, and if you decide to replace it, give me a call (mine disappeared when I stripped the car down).

so this lever is a one year only? dang... well, i guess if i ever go to a console, i would have to replace that lever anyway...
blazerchad
some more progress...

changed the sub box to a plug for disconnection...

added an amp gauge...

IPB Image

IPB Image

ripped my black seats so i had some peanut butter colored... much better shape...

IPB Image

this took some time...

IPB Image

IPB Image

more to come...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.