Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 v8 conversion with pantera transaxle by ZF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Chris Hamilton
This is the project that I've pieced together and really really want to build, but I already have a 4-cylinder car 914 and a 912 I'm working on, so there is simply no room or budget to build this beast. If I don't get any offers I'm going to build this thing and drive it myself, but it makes sense to put this out here to see if someone with more time and space can build this.

This kit is most of the parts you need to make a very powerful and fun 914 v8 without having to deal with weak and poorly shifting Porsche transmissions. The ZF 5DS-25 transmission was used in the DeTomaso Pantera, the Mongusta, the Maserati Bora, the BMW M1, and upside-down in the Ford GT-40.

This is a very strong transmission ( good for 500-1000hp ), and I feel is a much better choice in a 914 than a Porsche 915/930 and G50 transmissions. It was designed to be used in a Mid-Engine car with an American V8. It does not require any clunky cable shifters or rare custom clutch components.

This kit includes:

-ZF 5DS-25-2 Gearbox from a DeTomaso Pantera
This transmission was rebuilt in 2005 by Pantera Performance in Colorado and has only been driven a few thousand miles since. This transmission is in excellent condition. Transmission includes rebuild receipt with list of parts replaced. Transmission also includes gear ratio chart.

-Bellhousing adapter by Kennedy Engineering for Pantera gearbox with smallblock Chevy engine.
-914 Speedomter calibrated for 275/50R15 tires.
-Speedometer cable for 914 speedometer and pantera gearbox
-Hydraulic clutch steel braided cable
-New McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing
-McLeod single plate metallic clutch and pressure plate
-McLeod Dual disc clutch/pressure plate/ flywheel for smallblock chevy
-Wilwood clutch pedal with master cylinder for hydraulic clutch
-Shifter and shift linkage for 914 with pantera gearbox with Momo shift knob
-Smallblock chevy motor mount for 914-4
-Pantera transmission mount

-V8 tachometer from Autometer
-Mechanical water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge

-Aluminum SC Front axle beam
-Porsche turbo 930 front struts
-Brand new replacement bilstein strut inserts for 930 struts
-19mm 914 master cylinder

-Custom reinforced 914 trailing arms. Trailing arms include needle bearing pivots from elephant racing, 911 rear brakes with calipers and drilled rotors. Flanges are 5-lug with long wheel studs and have adapters for 993/996 CV joints.
-993/996 CV joints axles with adapters for Pantera gearbox

-Ron Davis racing / Renegade racing radiator with thermally controlled electric fans.
-Moroso fill tank
-Meziere WP336 electric water pump

I am asking $11500 for this kit.

You can contact me at chris@hamiltonracing.net

Pictures:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
charliew
I drove my friends 75 pantera in 75 or 76, he still has it. I didn't think it shifted any better than a 915 in the porsche. He has another pantera that needs a tranny. If you ever want to separate the tranny he might be interested. PM me.
Charlie
Chris Hamilton
Sounds like the maybe his wasn't set up right? Hard to say 30+ years later.

I can however say with certainty that I've driven 914s with 901, 915 and 930 gearboxes, and this is hands down better shifting. With the way this linkage is set up it will shift like a brand new car.

edit: I should explain. You can see the shift linkage on the right of the third picture. It is located by the heim joint slid onto it which attaches by the custom bracket to the bellhousing. This locates the shifter precisely and the internal gates in the shift box on the side of the transmission make the shifting very positive.
strawman
Would you be willing to sell the 200# springs separately? I presume they're 2.5" ID and 10" to 12" tall...

Geoff
Davis, CA
Chris Hamilton
Sorry, the GC200 springs are actually 440#/inch. I'm not sure how they came up with that model number...
Chris Hamilton
I'm also willing to include the 914 body this kit came out of with steel flares and california registration.
Chris Hamilton
This kit is still for sale.
Chris Hamilton
Price drop to $12,000.

I want to turbocharge my 912.

Also wanted to note I looked up the part number on the CV joints, they are from 993/996.
Chris Hamilton
Sold bilstein shocks, coilovers, springs
Sold torsion bars
sold sparco steering wheel

rest of kit now $11,500

Willing to trade for
RSR/911 carbon bodywork,
RSR steering rack,
haltech fuel injection parts,
racepak,
GT25 turbo,
or other stuff I need to turbo my 912.
yellowporky
Will you sell the radiator assembly and if so how much. I am local.
chris@buonhuasi.com or 925-330-2025
Thanks,
Chris
Chris Hamilton
PM Sent

I'd be willing to take $800 for the radiator, thermal fans, and aluminum plate assy.
Chris Hamilton
Will include this car with the parts, mounts ready to bolt right in, etc

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=112771
RUNNINGWOLF
Radiator still available?
kevin311
Do you still have the steering wheel and hub that are on the car in your post above?
If so how much?
Thanks
Kevin
Dr Evil
Price for ZF tranz?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.