Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbonucci
When I turn my lights on, they seem to not be in sync when going up so they both go up and down untill they sync up and finally stay on. Same thing when turning off. (They do this for a good 30-50 seconds at least.)

So I just put all new fuses, cleaned all the wiring and grounds to the headlights, nothing worked. confused24.gif

Anyone have an idea? I can take a video of this if you think that will help.
914_teener
Could be a bad relay....that is a prelim. quess only

There is a classic thread on syncing up the headlights I believe.

wbonucci
Yeah i just picked up two new relays from some guy who had a wrecked 914, he said they work perfect, but still a ton of winking going on.
SGB
It has to be that one or both is so far out of adjustment that it spins far enough to activate the closing process. I would pull the relay from the one that goes DOWN first, and then see if the other one stays up. (I'm trying to isolate one from the other). If you can guess which one has the problem and tinker with the adjustment....

Welcome!! beerchug.gif
detoxcowboy
Alright I found it for you. Remeber Google is your friend, I learned more from Google than I learned from asking for random help..

Here is your link...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...dlamp_motor.htm
SirAndy
This might help!

http://www.914world.com/specs/headlight_adjustment.php

bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 9 2009, 03:38 PM) *

Remeber Google is your friend, I learned more from Google than I learned from asking for random help..

Did Google also tell you about our very own "914 Info" section? And the "Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum"?

rolleyes.gif Andy
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2009, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 9 2009, 03:38 PM) *

Remeber Google is your friend, I learned more from Google than I learned from asking for random help..

Did Google also tell you about our very own "914 Info" section? And the "Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum"?

rolleyes.gif Andy

Not what I meant.
SirAndy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 10 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Not what I meant.

Don't get me wrong, there's tons of great resources out there and Google is a good tool.
I'm just baffled that so many people tend to look everywhere else except here.

A lot of time and effort has gone into some of those classic threads and tech articles ...
beerchug.gif Andy
SGB
Andy- would a tech article pop up in a search, or just an item in the Lapuwali classic threads?

I've used the "Tech articles" but rarely venture into the Classic thread forum...
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2009, 03:49 PM) *

Not what I meant.

Don't get me wrong, there's tons of great resources out there and Google is a good tool.

A lot of time and effort has gone into some of those classic threads and tech articles ...
beerchug.gif Andy

Your headlight thread saved me alot of frustration and trial and error, Truth is I did not know until very recently there was more to this site than the garage and classifieds.. Vendors section? are you kidding me I found stuff there I was keeping an eye out for months, Color charts, tire calc,.. etc.. DIY good times..
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 10 2009, 05:20 PM) *

Andy- would a tech article pop up in a search, or just an item in the Lapuwali classic threads?

I've used the "Tech articles" but rarely venture into the Classic thread forum...

I just now figured out the Classic Threads, I alwasy searched for them manually until I got bored.. WHat is Lawpulli or whatever, after seeing that word I read no further. I am not a hawiann 914er
flipb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2009, 06:49 PM) *

Not what I meant.

beerchug.gif Andy

FYI, if you use Google and type in site:www.914world.com [followed by your search term/string], it works pretty well... some might say better than the site's built-in search. huh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 11 2009, 05:55 PM) *

WHat is Lawpulli or whatever

Named after the late James Montebello. His username here was "Lapuwali" and he was the moderator of the "Classic Threads" forum ...

shades.gif Andy
detoxcowboy
Learning everyday. I could have saved some $$ and some battles getting informed ..
horizontally-opposed
+1 on the thanks.

This thread was SUPER helpful as I delved back into the 914 tonight and was having headlight issues — and the Lapuwali thread taught me everything I needed to know to synch the headlights and get them to sit down correctly.

SirAndy, long time no see — and a question, if I may:

The headlights don't seem to come up enough, looking visibly downcast (albeit slightly). I've adjusted the stops several times but it seems more like a motor thing than a "stop" thing. Everything lines up nicely otherwise.

Even so, when I push the headlight switch to the "off" position, I can watch the headlights pop a little further up ever so slightly before going down and stopping where they're supposed to (where I set them to). When I pull the switch back to "on," the headlights dip ever so slightly before coming up....

Normal? Don't worry about it until I try adjusting the light height?

Thanks! beerchug.gif

pete
Dave_Darling
The arm from the headlight linkage is on the motor just a little wrong. Raise the lights, then pull the relays. Undo the nut that holds the linkage arm onto the motor, and move the headlight to its "all the way up" position. Put the arm back onto the motor, install the nut. Test to see if they go up a little more or not. If so, re-do until they move correctly.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 11 2010, 12:42 PM) *

The arm from the headlight linkage is on the motor just a little wrong. Raise the lights, then pull the relays. Undo the nut that holds the linkage arm onto the motor, and move the headlight to its "all the way up" position. Put the arm back onto the motor, install the nut. Test to see if they go up a little more or not. If so, re-do until they move correctly.

agree.gif

I like to cycle the motors a couple of times with the arm disconnected to make sure they both are in the full up position, then reattach the arm.

Make sure you brake lose the stop screw first and turn it *IN* to make sure the stop does not inhibit the movement while adjusting. The stop is *not* used to stop the motor, it's only set after you are completely done adjusting everything else to prevent the light from "jiggling" while driving.

shades.gif Andy
914_teener
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 11 2010, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 11 2010, 12:42 PM) *

agree.gif

I like to cycle the motors a couple of times with the arm disconnected to make sure they both are in the full up position, then reattach the arm.

Make sure you brake lose the stop screw first and turn it *IN* to make sure the stop does not inhibit the movement while adjusting. The stop is *not* used to stop the motor, it's only set after you are completely done adjusting everything else to prevent the light from "jiggling" while driving.

shades.gif Andy

I had a very similar issue. Turned out to be the relay pins were too small....they were new. I miked them and found they were about .020 small. I took a Starrett feeler gauge and carefully pried out the slits in the prongs so they were a tight fit.

No more sync problems.

My two bits.

Rob
horizontally-opposed
Dave and Andy,

That's gotta be what it is. Will go to it tonight or this weekend.

Many thanks, guys!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.