Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boo yah! We have a rebuilt tranny for auction!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Hey all,

RobW was instrumental in planting the idea of having me rebuild a core while I was in NorCal that we could auction/sell off for the cause. SirAndy quickly offered up his core that had been languishing under Mark's work bench for a long time. Andy, Rob, and a few others that I cant remember, all disassembled and cleaned (the crappy part that takes time) this core and then people like Roger Grubb and others (myself included) donated all of the used parts that we needed. The box is good to go and Evil approved! Let me know what we want to do with it. It is in McMark's shop.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 8 2009, 12:34 AM) *

Hey all,

RobW was instrumental in planting the idea of having me rebuild a core while I was in NorCal that we could auction/sell off for the cause. SirAndy quickly offered up his core that had been languishing under Mark's work bench for a long time. Andy, Rob, and a few others that I cant remember, all disassembled and cleaned (the crappy part that takes time) this core and then people like Roger Grubb and others (myself included) donated all of the used parts that we needed. The box is good to go and Evil approved! Let me know what we want to do with it. It is in McMark's shop.

Dude - that is huge. We need to make sure all that helped get credit for their donations of parts and time - this could be a BIG kick that we needed. I will start the bidding at $500 if you want me to - is it a side shifter - I assume it is.
rick 918-S
WOW! I heard this may happen! Evil you walk the walk man.
tat2dphreak
Dude - that is huge. We need to make sure all that helped get credit for their donations of parts and time - this could be a BIG kick that we needed. I will start the bidding at $500 if you want me to - is it a side shifter - I assume it is.

damn I might have to bid too!

thanks Dr. Evil. this is HUGE! you are the man!

EdwardBlume
Thanks Dr E! Way to go! Based on the parts you were supplying, this is a very solid transmission that will work very well for someone.

Let me know if I can help arrange shipping when the time comes..
Dr Evil
For shipping, I will have instructions smile.gif It is a side shifter, $500 is a fine starting point. Do you feel it will be better to auction on the site, auction on ebay (so the whole world can bid), or sell raffle tickets at $20 a pop?
tat2dphreak
raffle might work... I can see at least 50 raffle tickets being sold, and that would be 1000 right there...

I wouldn't doubt if more than one person buys 5-10 tickets at least... and at that rate 50 tickets would be easy, I would guess...

but I could be wrong... with holidays and all. what do you guys think?

my guess on the auction is the tranny would probably bring 1000, so if we can sell 50 raffle tickets, and forego the auction fees... we'd be coming out ahead.

if auction is the decision, we'd could do it as a silent auction on site, where all bids are PM'd to one person and the highest bid wins ? would be easier than ebay, and I can't see a good way to bid besides the silent auction on the site?
Dr Evil
I like the raffle idea as I think it will get us to the $1000 mark. We can hold off on doing the raffle until we get the $1000 mark and we also keep it all in the family.

I vote raffle with a $1000 reserve smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Just some thoughts..

doing the math.. if there are 50 people out there who want a transmission (plus pay shipping), and are willing to take on 50:1 odds at $20.. then it works.

If there are 20 people out there who want a transmission (plus shipping) and are willing to take on 20:1 odds at $50.. it works too.

Or 33 on $30...
10 on $100 etc.

Maybe we do a poll on how many would bid at various prices.

(The paypal cut sucks on more transactions BTW)

Or, we can open it up at a buy it now price of $1000 for 12 hours and then do the raffle?

Just thoughts..
tat2dphreak
Or, we can open it up at a buy it now price of $1000 for 12 hours and then do the raffle?

I like the raffle idea. if someone wants to pay 1000 on raffle tickets, their odds are very good to win smile.gif

I think a lot of people would buy 1-2 tickets at $20 and then a few would want to spend 100-200 on 5-10 tickets. if you make the raffle too high, it cuts the nickel and dimers off that want to make a contribution for a minimal chance smile.gif maybe $33, but I think $50 would be a top end.

I definitely think if there's a buy it now price of 1000 someone will pay it. probably quickly. but we might be able to raise even more, and let several people have a chance... what can I say? I like to gamble, but it's not my call.
Kansas 914
The simpler the better - if it gets complicated people get confused - confused people don't buy.....

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 8 2009, 04:12 PM) *

I like the raffle idea. if someone wants to pay 1000 on raffle tickets, their odds are very good to win smile.gif

I think a lot of people would buy 1-2 tickets at $20 and then a few would want to spend 100-200 on 5-10 tickets. if you make the raffle too high, it cuts the nickel and dimers off that want to make a contribution for a minimal chance smile.gif maybe $33, but I think $50 would be a top end.

I definitely think if there's a buy it now price of 1000 someone will pay it. probably quickly. but we might be able to raise even more, and let several people have a chance... what can I say? I like to gamble, but it's not my call.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Dec 8 2009, 05:30 PM) *

The simpler the better - if it gets complicated people get confused - confused people don't buy.....

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 8 2009, 04:12 PM) *

Raffle it! I bet we do good. If someone can afford a raffle ticket then shipping won't be such a big expense. Much more attractive to many ticket buyers.

I think a $1000.00 plus shipping would limit the offers this time of year.
Dr Evil
Definitely raffle. I did this when Jame (lapuwali) passed in order to make some money for his spouse for the cost of the funeral. I made $700, IIRC. We were smaller then. I think a $1000 cap is doable and once people know that we will not consider drawing until we have sold $1000 worth of tickets than they will be more inclined to buy them.

Consider this, the average amount of people at one of my clinics is 20-30. If 1/2-1/3 of those that attended my clinics bought tickets we would be golden. If the box doesnt make it to $1000, then we ebay it.

PP fees are $0 when you have them send the money to you as a personal gift wink.gif I agree, no fees. Checks only if it were the opposite.

Also, I can convert it to a tail shifter if that is what is needed by the winner. Shipping is about $85 via Greyhound coast to coast. No biggie. The box will come with my warranty of 6mo or 6Kmi. Free tech support and discounted maintenance/upgrade if they need/want it.
EdwardBlume
It sounds like we have a plan then! Let's roll! Thanks again!
EdwardBlume
Ok. Let's do this.

Dr Evil, would you be OK to put together a Transmission Raffle post?

$20 is a fair amount, nice and round, easy to multiply.

Winner pays shipping. You can use the same paypal account: edwardblume@gmail.com

I'll keep track of the people and assign numbers for the draw.

Should we post the people who have entered the raffle?

The draw can be here at my house with my 5 year old, or maybe Mary could pull it, but I can video it (Rick's suggestion).

I can be reached today on my cell if there are any questions. 408 888 7757

Thanks again, this is really a big deal.
tat2dphreak
The draw can be here at my house with my 5 year old, or maybe Mary could pull it, but I can video it (Rick's suggestion).

that would be cool! smile.gif
Dr Evil
I can do up the post smile.gif
Kansas 914
Should we consider a 5 tickets for $80 to drive the one and two ticket buyers up to $80? Rob, would this diminsh the value or lessen the return - I will leave you to the statistical anaylsis....

I have seen this on the 2 Corvette give-away raffle every year.
Dr Evil
I just sweetened the deal A LOT!!!! I am including free labor and used parts for this box.....FOR LIFE!

I dont know why I didnt think of this before. It will be the only tranny that I have done this on. I can maintain 1 box for life (other than my own). smile.gif I am giddy.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 10 2009, 11:13 AM) *

I just sweetened the deal A LOT!!!! I am including free labor and used parts for this box.....FOR LIFE!

I dont know why I didnt think of this before. It will be the only tranny that I have done this on. I can maintain 1 box for life (other than my own). smile.gif I am giddy.

That is a sweet deal - That makes it very valuable. I want it!! You might think of that as an option when you rebuild them - for another $500 lifetime limited warranty (other than blah blah blah).
tat2dphreak
oh, DAMN! that is a SWEET deal.

I think 5 for 80 would be a good deal. the people that budgeted 200 would probably still spend 200... but the people who only budgeted 40 or 60 might splurge on the 80... another option what say we say people who donate $100 to the raffle, get a t-shirt/entry fee too? or those can be secondary items drawn in the raffle. I'm trying to think of small items that people might want to spend an extra raffle ticket price on, that won't really drive up the cost, much.

btw, I'm going to have to buy some of these, myself too
Dr Evil
It is done, I used Mike's idea about the 5 for $80. thumb3d.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102047
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Dec 10 2009, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 10 2009, 11:13 AM) *

That is a sweet deal - That makes it very valuable. I want it!! You might think of that as an option when you rebuild them - for another $500 lifetime limited warranty (other than blah blah blah).

No way. I cant handle more than one wink.gif I give that option for free normally any how. If something I built goes poof I stand behind it no matter what. smile.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 10 2009, 12:21 PM) *

oh, DAMN! that is a SWEET deal.

I think 5 for 80 would be a good deal. the people that budgeted 200 would probably still spend 200... but the people who only budgeted 40 or 60 might splurge on the 80... another option what say we say people who donate $100 to the raffle, get a t-shirt/entry fee too? or those can be secondary items drawn in the raffle. I'm trying to think of small items that people might want to spend an extra raffle ticket price on, that won't really drive up the cost, much.

btw, I'm going to have to buy some of these, myself too

I was thinking about that. I dont know how we are doing in the donations part, but we can definitely include a t-shirt for the winner at the least. We can always add MORE biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
Rob,

Is there a way to discern who is paying for what? Maybe they need to insert notes?

Hopefully this will be a huge problem becuase lots of donations -
EdwardBlume
Most people add comments on what it is and if there is any doubt I will follow up by email. Maybe I should just handle it that way.

Sounds like I've got some work to do tonight.

Thanks,
Rob
Dr Evil
So, how are the ticket sales doing?
EdwardBlume
Here we are as of Fri AM:

Transmission Raffle $140 Total

Kevin Conway kevdog90808@yahoo.com $20
Kevin Conway $20
Original Customs markd@mac.com $20
Mike Koozmin magazine@914magazine.net $20
John Faure jfaure@cfl.rr.com $20
Richard Caruso rcaruso8@verizon.net $20
Philip Blumenthal philip.blumenthal.2000@alum.bu.edu $20

I'll kick in over the weekend to give it a boost.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 10 2009, 06:41 PM) *

Most people add comments on what it is and if there is any doubt I will follow up by email. Maybe I should just handle it that way.

Sounds like I've got some work to do tonight.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

Philip Blumenthal forgot to add a note - but I see you were way ahead of the game and had his name down already.

Thanks!
Dr Evil
Richard Caruso is nycchef wink.gif
Dr Evil
Looking good for today already.

If they accidentally send you the money as a regular transfer, I suggest refusing it and adding instructions for how to do it without the fee.
Dr Evil
Dude! I just noticed the banner for the rebuilt tranny. Who did that? Awesome.
tat2dphreak
had to be Andy I guess... type.gif I thought it was really cool! smilie_pokal.gif
type.gif
EdwardBlume
It was / is super cool. We're at 42%.
EdwardBlume
Transmission Raffle $416.50 Total
Fees
1 Kevin Conway kevdog90808@yahoo.com $20 $20.00
2 Kevin Conway $20 $20.00
3 Original Customs markd@mac.com $20 $20.00
4 Mike Koozmin magazine@914magazine.net $20 $20.00
5 John Faure jfaure@cfl.rr.com $20 $20.00
6 Richard Caruso rcaruso8@verizon.net $20 $20.00
7 Philip Blumenthal philip.blumenthal.2000@alum.bu.edu $20 $20.00
8 Zach Nail rnall@loyola.edu $20 $20.00
9 Ken Majewski kkmajewski@myactv.net $20 $20.00
10 Dave Lyons davekody@theglobal.net $20 $20.00
11 Dave Lyons $20 $20.00
12 Dave Lyons $20 $20.00
13 Dave Lyons $20 $20.00
14 Dave Lyons Bonus
15 Robert Mitchell bobhasissues@cs.com $20 $20.00
16 Rob Sime robsime@att.net $20 -0.88 $19.12
17 Ken Park ken.park@bwsc.net $20 $20.00
18 Ramgopal Mettu mettu@ecs.umass.edu $20 -2.62 $17.38
19 Ramgopal Mettu $20 $20.00
20 Ramgopal Mettu $20 $20.00
21 Ramgopal Mettu $20 $20.00
22 Ramgopal Mettu $20 $20.00
23 Bonus
tat2dphreak
can I send my event fee and raffle tix on one paypal? or would 2 transactions be easier for you?
EdwardBlume
48% via Paypal
Dr Evil
I am a bit pissed about those who payed with fees. dry.gif We told them. I say PM them and let them know that they are short. Its the principle.

McMark did the banner. I thanked him smile.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 11 2009, 06:18 PM) *

can I send my event fee and raffle tix on one paypal? or would 2 transactions be easier for you?

I didn't want to miss the boat, so I went ahead and sent it all in one bucket.
EdwardBlume
Sorry, I missed that in all the excitement... Buddy (2.5 yr old) is terrorizing my 6 year old...

Got your generous donation Wayne. Raffle, T-shirt / build - all in. Are you signing up for the event then ? ($35 donor) If so, fill out the registration form with Mike Moorman.

Friggen' awesome banner... perhaps when this is all over, that will read Dr. Evil Transmissions! Shame to use it so little...

At 68% we are rolling on the raffle!

At 75% all in (est shirt costs), we're almost there...

Keep it up!

Thanks Again!
Dr Evil
smile.gif

I cant use the banner. I am going on sabbatical soon wink.gif
tat2dphreak
I'm signing up for the event, in the hopes I caan go, but not booking hotel and everything until I'm sure.
EdwardBlume
72%....

Don't fret so far over the payment vs gifters. I opened the paypal account with $10, and fees have only burned $10.07 as of this AM, with only 2 people not gifting on the raffle.

Should I do a "recognition" post for the people in the raffle so far???
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 12 2009, 06:47 AM) *

I'm signing up for the event, in the hopes I caan go, but not booking hotel and everything until I'm sure.

That's cool. If you can go, it will be time well spent.
Dr Evil
I can smell the cows already. barf.gif

Any word on hotels and costs?
EdwardBlume
100% on the raffle.

97 % on the goal to $1500.

tat2dphreak
100% on the raffle.

woot! I can't believe how fast that was.

are we cutting off raffle sales or keeping them open for extra?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *

100% on the raffle.

woot! I can't believe how fast that was.

are we cutting off raffle sales or keeping them open for extra?

Keeping it open for now. We should put a conf call together to firm next steps..
Dr Evil
Ya'll decide when to end the raffle and draw the ticket. My section is done wink.gif
tat2dphreak
huge thanks Dr Evil. we couldn't have pulled this off without you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.