Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacers or Adapters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goodwood73
Hello all,
I need some help with a question I've had looking at various pictures of your cars and wheel setups. I see some people with spacers (slip over the lugs) and some people running adapters (bolt the adapter to the hub and bolt the wheel to the adapter). Now I'm only talking about true five lug cars and not some 4 to 5 lug adapter. I am going to need 1"+ spacer or adapter to fit my new wheels (17 x7) on my narrow body and wanted your input.

Is there a limit to how much spacer you can use? Longer lugs are needed I know.

Will tracks allow the use of adapters since they can not see the actual lugs sticking out?

Does anyone have any experience with either failing? Comming loose? The five 14mm studs seem pretty beefy.

Last question, What is the track width difference between a 914 and a 911 suspension?

Thanks beerchug.gif
Paul
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...for a TRACK CAR... I think you should follow PORSCHES lead here. USE SPACERS.,,,it should be obvious why. Do not rely on a tech inspector, to point out , obvious mistakes you make in assembling a race car...............from experience. popcorn[1].gif
carr914
Spacers Only. If you need longer studs, they are available in different lengths - I have some 100mms in the Classifieds

T.C.
6freak
[quote name=
, What is the track width difference between a 914 and a 911 suspension?

Thanks beerchug.gif
Paul
[/quote]
I think 30mm? its not much.....its sorta off topic the 914-6`s are narrower and shorter then a boxster but have a longer & wider wheel base
underthetire
QUOTE(goodwood73 @ Dec 8 2009, 05:34 AM) *

Hello all,
I need some help with a question I've had looking at various pictures of your cars and wheel setups. I see some people with spacers (slip over the lugs) and some people running adapters (bolt the adapter to the hub and bolt the wheel to the adapter). Now I'm only talking about true five lug cars and not some 4 to 5 lug adapter. I am going to need 1"+ spacer or adapter to fit my new wheels (17 x7) on my narrow body and wanted your input.

Is there a limit to how much spacer you can use? Longer lugs are needed I know.

Will tracks allow the use of adapters since they can not see the actual lugs sticking out?

Does anyone have any experience with either failing? Comming loose? The five 14mm studs seem pretty beefy.

Last question, What is the track width difference between a 914 and a 911 suspension?

Thanks beerchug.gif
Paul

I have the 1 1/4 adapter spacers. They work just fine. Gives more options down the road for different wheel set ups since you don't need to change studs. Just mount them then check them a week or so later to make sure everything is tight. I don't use my car on the track though, but for the occasional off ramp high g move they have not given me any problem.
SirAndy
QUOTE(goodwood73 @ Dec 8 2009, 05:34 AM) *

Most racing organizations do not allow the bolt on adapters.

I run 100mm studs with spacers. Those have worked fine for me for years, but lately, i've been chasing a front end vibration.
Not sure if that's related to the spacers tho.

bye1.gif Andy
goodwood73
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll go with the long lugs and make my own slip-on spacers.
Paul
jd74914
Paul,

Those headers are crazy! drooley.gif Do you have any more pictures?

Jim
pcar916
QUOTE(goodwood73 @ Dec 9 2009, 06:28 AM) *

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll go with the long lugs and make my own slip-on spacers.
Paul

You'll have to make (or buy) several sets if you have wheels with different offsets i.e. your rain tires vs the dry's. And the car may not be exactly the same on the right side as the left.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.