Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any one know what this is for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
handyher
I am swapping engines and the tin on the one i am putting in has this strange thing attached to it (see pic) can anyone tell me if this is porsche or vw? thanks

rene
majkos
Renee! wub.gif
Can you make the pic. smaller?
Maybe a REAL cheap Turbo! Ha-ha-ha-!
ejm
That's for intake air preheating that was used on VW's to keep throttle bodies from icing.
partsman
What's the donor engine? I almost want to say that you probably have a 912e engine, because I seem to remember something like that on the film

Eric
TheCabinetmaker
Lets try for a smaller pic. hope this works
majkos
A 912 in a 914!? ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm pretty sure the Bus engines had them also. I run across these pieces from time to time.

B
ArtechnikA
lawn chair. rare tropical option.
handyher
thanks for making pic smaller haven't learned how to do that yet.

donor engine came from, a 72 914 with engine code of W stamped on it.

just curious thanks guys.
TheCabinetmaker
W is from a 70-72 1.7L If I recall
SLITS
The car prolly came from Siberia - that's where they would need the air pre-heater AND that's exactly what it is.
Dave_Darling
Evidently the bits were present on the 1972 914s. I'm not sure if they were ever hooked up, though. There should be a thermostatic control on the air cleaner as well, with a lever and weight arrangement hanging off of it.

--DD
handyher
thanks for the info. extra stuff dave darling mentioned was not there as po but a stinky ford progressive carb on it. so tomorrow donor engine goes in and hopefully no other problems will occur.

R clap56.gif
McMark
Make sure to block off the hole if you're not hooking it up to something. I left the bottom piece on my tin and cut a small rectange of sheet metal to cover the hole and it had two mount holes for the cheese head screws to hold it in place.
Bleyseng
My 72 bus with a 1700 type 4 had that to preheat the air to the dual solexs.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.