Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic Valance Rivets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I recently purchased some plastic rivets from one of our members (aka tod914). GREAT PRODUCT! Please follow Tods directions and use mine as a non santioned alternative, only. When I was re-installing my threshold trim I "forced" the plastic stems and in doing so basically ruined some rivets. Even though Tod suggested I order extras, I did not order enough extras! This is where the Mother of Invention kicks in. Necessity!!!!!!! I didn't have enough to finish. What to do? I couldn't possibly tell tod I had ruined the extras, much less wait another 3 days for replacements. So I look down at the aluminum rivet stems laying on the ground(read trash,these are the pieces left over from metal pop rivets). I held one up next to a plastic one and bingo. Same diameter. So I lighly tap one of these appx. 8mm into a plastic rivet body ,cut it with side cutter and tap the remaining piece in till flush. Once I noticed how well this worked I found that I did not need to trim the rivets, either. Really! All 4 legs can remain on the rivet and it seats so tight you wont believe it. BTW, I used aircraft grade pop rivets to secure my original metal valance where it attaches on top (the 6 rivets that are covered up) because the two pieces had small gaps in places and I wanted to pull them together. I noticed that the holes on the valance appeared countersunk (whether original or not) so I used these countersunk rivets that I had on hand. If your interested, the AN part number is CS4-4. Their dirt cheap. Aircraft Spruce sells them buy the pound. I wouldn't use any steel stemed rivets as they will rust. Anyway, I hadn't picked up my trash yet and that's why I had the stems right under my nose. I don't think this shit up.
davep
Good tip.
tod914
The key to the little plastic guys is to snap the pin off first then insert it. Went through a few myself trying to figure out the best way to get them to work. Glad your project is done. If you need a few more let me know, and I'll drop them in an envelope for you. Any shots of what the aircraft ones look like? Seems the metal ones were used on quite a few of the original rocker panels.
76-914
Is there an echo in here? LOL. Sent you a PM. I put 6 of them in an envelope tonite. Now, when I get to the mailbox... is another thing. They are 120' countersink, 4/32"dia x 4/32"length or grip range. See those 4's in the numbers below. It's aircraft speak. All A/C hardware is measured in x number of /32nd's) I mispoke earlier when I stated they were aluminum stem. They (the CS4-4)are steel stem and these are what I used. The same rivet is available with an aluminum stem. I'm sure they would be strong enough. I think the # is AACQ-4-4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.