Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: easy electrical question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I'm trying to attach a cd changer (w-fm modulator) to the stock radio on my 73. The two wires I need to attach are,

1. wire from the changer to the ignition terminal, so that it gets power when the car is turned on

2. wire to a terminal that always has power going to it...

where do I find these terminals? what would you all recommend? I am thinking that I shouldn't just splice into the existing electrial connection to the radio, but I haven't done this kind of thing before so I'm not really sure where to attach these wires! Help!
TheCabinetmaker
Attach the wire that needs to be on the ignition circuit to the back of the fuse block where the radio hooks up. The Always on wire, can attach to a fuse that is always on. If you have a new style stereo (one with a digital clock), it already has those connections that you can splice into.
TheCabinetmaker
BTW, always turn the changer off before killing the ignition.
Isn't the wire that attaches to the radio always on? I can turn the radio on without having a key in the ignition?
Malmz
QUOTE(7391420 @ Mar 20 2004, 09:24 AM)
Isn't the wire that attaches to the radio always on? I can turn the radio on without having a key in the ignition?

It shouldn't be. Somebody probably swapped it so they could listen to the radio with the car off since a 914 doesn't have an ACC position.

sm
TheCabinetmaker
Malmz is correct. The radio should connect to a switched fuse.

Malmz, your avatar sucks as bad as hung does laugh.gif
ok,

I just pulled off the fuse pannel, so given that the yellow wire coming off the radio is plugged into a socket that allows it to run all the time, should I use this one for the "always on" and if so, where on the fuse pannel should I connect the other wire ?

-Adam
Malmz
QUOTE(7391420 @ Mar 20 2004, 09:54 AM)
ok,

I just pulled off the fuse pannel, so given that the yellow wire coming off the radio is plugged into a socket that allows it to run all the time, should I use this one for the "always on" and if so, where on the fuse pannel should I connect the other wire ?

-Adam

Sure.

Make sure the changer has a good clean ground somewhere too.

sm
Malmz
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 20 2004, 09:37 AM)
Malmz, your avatar sucks as bad as hung does laugh.gif

What!?! no love for the Hung?

I'm impartial to him right now since one of my clients has his merchandising rights and I'm building a website... wink.gif

sm
Thanks for the help,

I will hook up the always on wire to the terminal where the radio is connected, and then find another terminal for the other one, I am assuming that I can just pick an empty terminal and attach to it?
TheCabinetmaker
Adam,Yep, that should do it. make sure the key is off when plugging in the wire.

Malmz. ok, but don't expect to get any of my money! barf.gif
Once again the club comes through!

I finished the install, tidy'ed up all the wires, and fireed her up and it works really well.

FYI-I used a pioneer 6 disk changer with an fm modulator, with remote. I have the origional Blaupunkt, I think it is the Frankfurt, and new pioneer speakers. The sound is surprisingly good, not new car good but considering a 30yr old radio, it works very well.

If anyone is interested in pics I'll post them
McMark
Who isn't interested in pics.

It's a GIVEN!!!
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

And finally....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Malmz
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Mar 20 2004, 03:47 PM)
Who isn't interested in pics.

It's a GIVEN!!!
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

And finally....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

You asked for it! lol3.gif lol3.gif lol3.gif

Oh, you meant the stereo.......................
Here's the Pics

Thanks again!

-Adam
oops,

I cant figure out how to post multiple...here's another try,
one more
front trunk mount
wires tidy'd up
TheCabinetmaker
Your welcome Adam. I mounted mine on the bulkhead. Still need to tidy up the rats nest of wires. Hmmm, maybe a good project for today. No 914's in the shop this weekend cept mine. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.