Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacement wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
I am in the process of re-wiring all of Papa Smurf...well at least most of him. And I need to make sure I have the right gauge wire before I get started. I've already ripped out most of the non-essential wires, and want to replace a lot of the wires I already have, and insert a bunch of weather-pack connectors to make working on it much easier.

so, here's basically what's left:

Ignition
brake lights
gauges
fuel pump
accessories (cool suit, radio, etc)
signal wires (oil temp, oil pressure, tach)

Can I use 14 gauge wire on most of these, except the main power/ignition? What should I use for that?

thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 9 2009, 11:16 AM) *

what gauge wire where?

If i'm not mistaken, the Haynes wiring diagrams (or the current flow diagrams) have the wire gauge printed on them.

bye1.gif Andy
davesprinkle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 9 2009, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Dec 9 2009, 11:16 AM) *

what gauge wire where?

If i'm not mistaken, the Haynes wiring diagrams (or the current flow diagrams) have the wire gauge printed on them.

bye1.gif Andy

Yes, they do. However, the diagrams call out area in square mm, which is the European convention, rather than wire gage, which is the US convention. You'll need to find a chart to convert between the two.
neil30076
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 9 2009, 11:33 AM) *

Yes, they do. However, the diagrams call out area in square mm, which is the European convention, rather than wire gage, which is the US convention. You'll need to find a chart to convert between the two.

This page http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-cross-section.htm has all the cross section to AWG conversions down towards the end of the page.
naro914
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Dec 9 2009, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 9 2009, 11:33 AM) *

This page http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-cross-section.htm has all the cross section to AWG conversions down towards the end of the page.

Neil,
wow this is great. Gotta bookmark this page.
OK, so if I'm reading this right, if the wire on the Hayes manual says 1.0, that translates to a 17 gauge, I should be fine with 16 gauge wire there.
Mike Bellis
Thin wires get hot faster. I would use the 14 gauge. it should be good for 20 amps at 12 volts. use 16 only for the gauges.
r_towle
on papa you should use 10 gauge to prevent it from spontainiously combusting when you park it next to huey

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.