Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacers (adaptor) legality
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
dw914er
Anyone know what the legality is of spacers, specifically the ones hte bolt to the stock studs, like the eibach, project kics, and H&R spacers, at track and auto-x. I'm running 25mm spacer adaptors for my Desmonds, and Andy brought it up that they might not be allowed at most race events, but that extended studs with just the spacers were fine. Anyone know for sure? I tried searching, and didn't really come up with anything, just normal spacer questions.

IPB Image

If it is illegal to use, I can always take em off before an event, but I havn't been to a race since I got these wheels, so didn't know..but I posted this into the rsx forum as well, and they can't find any rules against the spacers except anything over a change of 5mm from oem takes me out of stock classes (which my race header does anyways)

BTW: this if for my rsx. the Porsche doesn't need spacers for my stock setup.

Thanks, Ben
dw914er
SCCA SoloII rules:

(Stock category, other classes may have further restrictions, but I don't think they do..)
Quote:
13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed
(including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset
more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The
resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
Wheel spacers are permitted, provided the resultant combination
complies with the offset requirements of this section. Wheel studs,
lug nuts, and/or bolt length may be changed.

From here, it's obvious my deviation isn't stock class, but, I know people run larger spacers anyways.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif to dw914er ....you are hunting a specification in a technical requirement reguarding SPACERS of a specific type and are they legal or not. YOU MAY NOT find a simple answer or requirement. If you intend to use your car in a track event at racing speeds you should prepair and use equipment that is KNOWN to be reliable/safe. If you assume that a technical inspector is going to check EVERY PART you use , or that there is a requirement or specification for every part you COULD use you are mistaken. If you use stuff that is stupid or unsafe and the tech people will not let you on the track who loses.? you lose , time, entry fees, and the crap you bought...YOUR example ...those wheel studs are secured into ALUMINUM....show me a porsche aluminum wheel spacer with studs.,. that is what they are.. look it boils down to this , no tech inspector can possably catch every nonsensical ''improvement''a car owner could make. just look around and see what the experienced guys use and ask their advise. technical inspectors are trying to catch the stuff that will bust your ass. But YOU have to be a participant in the process., If for no other reason than self preservation....... popcorn[1].gif
dw914er
as far as I know of these are safe and reliable. No shimmy, quality built, etc. If it's a matter of do I think they'll survive, I think they'll survive (as well as my forged rims), but if there is a specific rule, where that im taking a legitimate chance I can't race, then I have no problem to taking them off. Just wanted to know if there was a specific rule. I don't think the auto-x circuit I've raced with would have an issue, but I was planning on a buttenwillow or streets event next year. Helps push it out, since the motor mods puts me as a huge underdog in my class. Which is fine as well, fun to beat faster cars.
pcar916
QUOTE(dw914er @ Dec 9 2009, 09:16 PM) *

as far as I know of these are safe and reliable. No shimmy, quality built, etc. If it's a matter of do I think they'll survive, I think they'll survive (as well as my forged rims), but if there is a specific rule, where that im taking a legitimate chance I can't race, then I have no problem to taking them off. Just wanted to know if there was a specific rule. I don't think the auto-x circuit I've raced with would have an issue, but I was planning on a buttenwillow or streets event next year. Helps push it out, since the motor mods puts me as a huge underdog in my class. Which is fine as well, fun to beat faster cars.

It's been many years since I've asked this question, but I'm certain the tech's won't let you on a track with adapters if they know they're on your car. Even at an AX, race rubber on a fast car and a fast course will work the heck out of your studs and what they're attached to.

Porsche front hubs are aluminum, but they are also massive, not thin like an adapter plate. Be safe, get long studs and space away!

Good luck at the track.
underthetire
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Dec 10 2009, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Dec 9 2009, 09:16 PM) *

It's been many years since I've asked this question, but I'm certain the tech's won't let you on a track with adapters if they know they're on your car. Even at an AX, race rubber on a fast car and a fast course will work the heck out of your studs and what they're attached to.

Porsche front hubs are aluminum, but they are also massive, not thin like an adapter plate. Be safe, get long studs and space away!

Good luck at the track.

But the front hubs from Porsche are cast. These are billet. I have set from 6061 alum, and they are strong as hell. Stronger than some of those cheap wheels you can get at wheel works. Since they really are not adapting anything, they are just a spacer. confused24.gif
zymurgist
I guess the stock wheels are a no-go? What about a set of Type-S wheels? Aren't they larger?
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 10 2009, 08:16 AM) *

But the front hubs from Porsche are cast. These are billet. I have set from 6061 alum, and they are strong as hell. Stronger than some of those cheap wheels you can get at wheel works. Since they really are not adapting anything, they are just a spacer. confused24.gif

We can debate the strength of the material all day, but that won't change the fact that i had a set of those that were TÜV approved and looked plenty strong yet PCA did not allow me to run those for either any of their AX events or track events.
Other organizations, like PRC or POC have similar rules.

Any kind of adapter is a big no-no.
Long studs with spacers are OK.

The easiest thing to do is to contact whoever you plan to run with on the track and ASK them before you show up for the tech inspection ...
shades.gif Andy
dw914er
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2009, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Dec 10 2009, 08:16 AM) *

We can debate the strength of the material all day, but that won't change the fact that i had a set of those that were TÜV approved and looked plenty strong yet PCA did not allow me to run those for either any of their AX events or track events.
Other organizations, like PRC or POC have similar rules.

Any kind of adapter is a big no-no.
Long studs with spacers are OK.

The easiest thing to do is to contact whoever you plan to run with on the track and ASK them before you show up for the tech inspection ...
shades.gif Andy

Thats a good idea Andy. I can't find a specific rule for any event though (seems like this might be a porsche rule though), but calling would work. If not, 21mm and 19mm, jack, and problem solved. BTW, these are NOT on a Porsche. Ken, the Desmonds are rare forged rims in the 05-06 spec sizes (17x7+45) with 225 tires. Since my finders are rolled, I made it + 20, and it fills it in pretty flush.

Point was this
IPB Image

to this (crappy photo)
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.