Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem during needle bearing install...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ss6
Got a set of Mueller's nifty suspension bearings, pressed the bearing tube into the trailing arm (BF threaded rod and a LOT of elbow grease), proceeded to test fit the bearings. Fits fine on the outboard end, but the inboard end won't accept the bearing.

Measured the tube ID, and found a slight oval, ie 1.318 - 1.338. The bearing OD that has to fit in there is 1.330.

So will the bearing tolerate this or am I going to have to go find a machine shop???
Doug Leggins
The oval condition seems to be common. I talked to Mike before installing my bearings. I took the approach of machining/sanding the OD of the sleeve prior to installing it. I think that if you do not sand the OD then you will have to sand the ID to get the bearing to fit properly.

If you use too much force to try to insert it, the bearing can/will come apart.

I used a 1" drum sanding attachment in a drill to get the sanding done that I needed. The 1" drum was recommended.

Mike lists his cell number on his site. I used it a few times just to make sure I was doing things right.
ChrisFoley
That's why I ream the trailing arms before installing the delrin bushings. The trailing arms are all out of round at the inner end.
Sorry I'm no help to you John. smash.gif
fiid
One of my tubes was mushroomed from beating it in ( smash.gif ). I just used a drum sander with the dremel until the bearing fit easily.

My advice with the bearing kit is:

DON'T FORCE IT.

Don't hit anything to hard, - just keep sanding till it fits snug, and only tap lightly with a plastic hammer. Anything else and you are out of round. Same thing with the sleeves that go over the A-Arms - heat them gently and consistently (oven is best) and then slide them on - if you have to beat them on - they are probably going to be out of round. Out of round = bad.
J P Stein
I'm with Chris.....tho I haven't got a reamer.
Round up the swing arm ID before installing the tube.

I used a die grinder and ....various abrasive attachments. The biggest problem is at the outer ID due to the welding in close proximity. The tube then goes in with a couple shots with a 60 OZ persuader smash.gif ....& hardwood block & grease.
I got these IDs close enuff that the bearings dropped into the tube. Primered the ODs of the brgs & IDs of the tube and installed wet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.