Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
mel reckling

vin 9142430107

original, unrestored, undriven for 25 years, kept in dry storage.

serious illness forces sale.

very nice car, looking in mid $20s

Lavanaut
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Dec 11 2009, 04:31 PM) *

vin 9142430107

Mel, I'm sorry to hear that you're selling your car, but even more sorry to hear that it's due to illness. sad.gif

Somebody is going to end up with a very special car, indeed.

Reid
Joe Pita
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Dec 11 2009, 04:31 PM) *

vin 9142430107

Hi,
my name is Joe and i am looking for a six .i picked up a six in March
as a roller over my head to much work for me to complete
can you send me more photos and past history.
my email is jphandyman@comcast.net
thanks .

Joe
Mark Henry
Wishing you the best Mel!

Here's a thread that shows a bunch of pic's of Mel's 914/6

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...430107&st=0

IPB Image
sixaddict
sooooo...this IS a game right !

I know I am a dumb ass especially when it comes to computers buttttttttttttt....link doesn't appear to link !

Help me be smarter .

Ciao
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 12 2009, 08:49 PM) *

sooooo...this IS a game right !

I know I am a dumb ass especially when it comes to computers buttttttttttttt....link doesn't appear to link !

Help me be smarter .

Ciao

Works when I left click on it, also works when I right click, but that takes 2 clicks.
Cut and paste to your browser, C&P to google, try a different browser... search for Mel's other posts....

I have google chrome, I.E., firefox and safari just in case. I'm playing with safari at the moment, they all work.
varunan123

Mel

I sent you a PM,let me know.

Raj
cal44
O.K, I need help in understanding this. Is this mans car for sale or not?, many times I don't get whats right in front of me. Also has everyone concluded it is a geniune 914/6 for the year '72.
If all of his is true how much is the car and is it still for sale. Pretend you are writing to a five year old then maybe I'll get it.

Regards
Cairo94507
???? The posting says it is for sale. The VIN would indicate it is a factory six. If I had the money I would buy it. I believe this to be a pretty rare opportunity.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(cal44 @ Dec 13 2009, 05:59 PM) *

O.K, I need help in understanding this. Is this mans car for sale or not?, many times I don't get whats right in front of me. Also has everyone concluded it is a geniune 914/6 for the year '72.
If all of his is true how much is the car and is it still for sale. Pretend you are writing to a five year old then maybe I'll get it.

Regards

The man is very sick, this teen is a real /6 and his baby, a '72 is a rare /6 because not many were made, he's asking best offer over $20K, he'd like $25K

Did I mention he's sick and you shouldn't waste his time if your not serious.
If you're serious this is a real six.
Wannabe 914-6 owner
I remember this gentleman's first announcement that he might be very ill. I would hope that he can get medical treatment to turn the corner and get back to being well. Good luck my friend on the sale and with your health. You are in my thoughts and prayers
mel reckling

Hi folks,

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion.

Thanks so much Mark for posting that link.

Yes, the car is for sale.

Yes, it is a real 72 914/6.

Yes I am very sick and will probably check out very soon. My cancer has spread and the chemo options available are not showing the 'great promise' I had been told. They are now offering me a chance to be part of a clinical trial using the same chemo drugs on a drastically reduced schedule. They have had a lot of nasty side effects, that had I opted for them when originally offered I would be dead for a couple of months already. Unfortunately the option of getting better doesn't seem to be in the cards.

cal44
Thanks Mel.
Porsche Rescue
Some evidence of the rarity of this car from Glen Stazak's Registry. Only 5 of the approx. 260 built listed in the US. Mel's car is 7th from the top. Someone needs to step up so that I can stop thinking about the car!

1972 914/6s
VIN Last Known Date Location

9142430022 9/24/2007 Rehnurg Germany
9142430023 5/28/2004 Aix En Provence France
9142430058 2/27/2000 Sweden
9142430076 3/9/2009 Germany
9142430078 12/15/2008 Sherman Oaks CA USA
9142430095 2/27/2008 Vannes France
9142430107 12/8/2000 North Royalton OH USA
9142430181 12/20/2002 USA
9142430200 9/14/1998 Essex UK
9142430215 4/28/2001 Hagen Germany
9142430240 6/21/2006 Marietta GA USA
9142430257 6/21/2006 Marietta GA USA
9142430259 6/21/2006
rick 918-S
Jeeze Mel, dry.gif If I could do more I would. Here's a icon_bump.gif and a biggrin.gif for you. I have been asking around since you first announced you had a problem. I will continue to spread the word.
david63
Mel, I will contact you as I am seriously considering your car.  This group can help with my questions as well.  If I understand you correctly the car has not been operational for years?  I assume that the engine is not locked up but has not been run so seals, etc may need work and the fuel system/carbs will need to be gone through, etc.  Very interested and have funds in hand.  So sorry about the health issues. 

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Some evidence of the rarity of this car from Glen Stazak's Registry.  Only 5 of the approx. 260 built listed in the US. Mel's car is 7th from the top. Someone needs to step up so that I can stop thinking about the car!       1972  914/6s VIN Last Known Date Location 9142430022 9/24/2007  Rehnurg Germany   9142430023 5/28/2004 Aix En Provence  France   9142430058 2/27/2000   Sweden   9142430076 3/9/2009   Germany   9142430078 12/15/2008 Sherman Oaks CA USA   9142430095 2/27/2008 Vannes  France   9142430107 12/8/2000 North Royalton OH USA   9142430181 12/20/2002   USA   9142430200 9/14/1998  Essex UK   9142430215 4/28/2001 Hagen  Germany   9142430240 6/21/2006 Marietta GA USA   9142430257 6/21/2006 Marietta GA USA   9142430259 6/21/2006
david63
Geez... I just went back and read the post with the pictures and I see where Mel spoke about driving the car and how the headlights with the yellow lenses worked (and where he said he blew by a Supra... cool). So ignore my concerns about the car being none operational for years. Sorry.

I know I have not posted or been active so forgive me. I have followed the site for a while but did not have a 914. I am a long time Porschephile. Love 914's. Have owned several including a wild 914-6 GT conversion (always buy someone elses finished project - ask me how I know). I just sold a Cayman S (no I am not insane). I want something that I can tinker with, something that will potentially hold its value a bit, and is not civilized and soft (maybe I am insane...) Look forward to visiting with Mel about his car. Stay tuned.
Porsche Rescue
I don't think we know for sure that his description of "yellow lenses", etc are not from 25 years ago. It could have been sitting for a long time. But you said you wanted to tinker!
This is going to be a fun and valuable car for someone.
Frankly, I think if it were on thesamba.com or ebay it would be on its way to Europe right now. Probably for way more money than someone here will pay.
david63
I agree with you (I am suprised the car is not already gone). I am serious about purchasing a car; however, long distance purchasing is always somewhat unnerving. I feel torn about the PPI thing. In the past long distance Porsche purchases have always included a PPI. I have had someone with PCA or a site like this look at the car for me and give me feedback on their findings as well.

On a car like this one I think we can assume that the car is going to need some work. My vision would be to do as little as possible to get the car running well. I would not want to re-paint the car etc as part of the value of the car would be in leaving it unrestored; however, if the car is very rusty or needs lots of work the value of the car would have to be adjusted accordingly. After I visit with Mel this evening I may be searching for a little help to obtain a third party opinion of the cars condition.

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 02:26 PM) *

I don't think we know for sure that his description of "yellow lenses", etc are not from 25 years ago. It could have been sitting for a long time. But you said you wanted to tinker!
Frankly, I think if it were on thesamba.com or ebay it would be on its way to Europe right now. Probably for way more money than someone here will pay.

Cire
QUOTE(david63 @ Dec 14 2009, 01:51 PM) *

I agree with you (I am suprised the car is not already gone). I am serious about purchasing a car; however, long distance purchasing is always somewhat unnerving. I feel torn about the PPI thing. In the past long distance Porsche purchases have always included a PPI. I have had someone with PCA or a site like this look at the car for me and give me feedback on their findings as well.

On a car like this one I think we can assume that the car is going to need some work. My vision would be to do as little as possible to get the car running well. I would not want to re-paint the car etc as part of the value of the car would be in leaving it unrestored; however, if the car is very rusty or needs lots of work the value of the car would have to be adjusted accordingly. After I visit with Mel this evening I may be searching for a little help to obtain a third party opinion of the cars condition.

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 02:26 PM) *

Fly out and see it if you are going to purchase it. I personaly bought a car out of state, had someone from a 914 site go and look at it, test drive it and kick the tires for me. Thumb up, green light all the way I was told. I got there and it was a train wreck. The engine blew up less than 2 hours from the sellers house. Yeah... Tought situation.... FLY OUT AND SEE IT. My 2 cents...

Eric
mel reckling

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 12:26 PM) *

I guess I did mispeak about the lights. The filaments are yellow/amber, not the lenses.
david63
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Dec 14 2009, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Dec 14 2009, 12:26 PM) *

I guess I did mispeak about the lights. The filaments are yellow/amber, not the lenses.

You did not mis-speak, I quoted you wrong. I think you stated the color of the lights was yellow. Sorry about that. I left you a voice mail and look forward to visiting with you on the phone. I can talk a lot better than I can type.
david63
Just had a great visit with Mel. I was able to sort out a couple of issues. He believes the car to be pretty rust free. He indicated the wiring had not been molested and wanted to make sure that I understand that the car has not moved in 25 years. It is not going to be a case of blowing the dust off, putting air and gas in the car and driving off.

The car will need a restoration of some magnitude depending on what you want to do with the car. I agree with other experts in that I think the car deserves to be brought up to a safe driving condition (brakes redone, fuel system re-done, reseal the engine or rebuild if necessary, change transaxle fluids, replace clutch assembly, ensure all lights, gauges, etc are good) and enjoy the car in a preservation class. If the decision is made to re-paint the car than all bets are off and the value will suffer unless a no-expense spared restoration is done. I will tell you that Mel thinks the car needs a re-spray due to discoloration on the hood.

I need to have someone in the Cleveland area that is a 914 expert look at the car and see about the rust issues (yes behind the rockers, behind the seats up against the firewall, hellhole, etc.). I assured Mel that I would not drag things out. The car is special; however, economics may make it more expensive than originally expected. I have done one complete build up from a chassis and found out very quickly that my estimate was about 40% low. Still thinking.... If there is anyone in the Cleveland area that would be willing to look at the car for me please PM me and I will get you in touch with Mel. I want to respect his time and condition and he knows that I am trying to arrange for someone to come and look at his car for me. Thanks.
Mark Henry
Could a member in Ohio do Mel a huge favor and go do a PPI with photo's on his car?

I've had a few people ask me about this car. I personally don't know Mel or his car. I'm just trying to help a member who is very ill.

My personial advice, if you are serious about the car, is to pay someone to do a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) or fly out and inspect it yourself. I'd say it looks solid but needs going through to make it perfect. This is a French (European spec) 914/6 that Mel imported, which will add to it's value. This is a car you would restore only to it's original glory and never modify. A 1972 French market 914/6 is fairly rare and my opinion is that real sixes will in 10+ years be fetching real close to 356 prices.
tpines
Hi Mel,
I am so sorry to hear about your cancer but I did want to let you know that I saw on the news awhile ago about the benefits of drinking Pomagranate Juice for people with cancer. In the study, it stopped the spread of cancer and even cured others. I even told my 86 year old friend with prostate cancer and he began to drink it and is now cancer free. I will keep you in my prayers and God bless...

Clark.
Gigamight
I am in the Akron area, not very far at all from Mel. I definitely don't have the funds to purchase, but I would be willing to go and check the car out and be an unbiased party for someone who is truly interested. I am sorta new to the scene, so would need to know exactly what you want inspected.

In any case, best to you Mel, and good luck with the sale. If my wife weren't taking everything I own in the divorce right now, I would love to make a 914/6 a resident in my garage, but alas, as things are now, she would own it in a couple months.
david63
After taking all factors into account (long distance purchase, cost to transport car, estimated cost to re-fresh car) the economics do not work for me so I will not be purchasing the car. Mel best wishes and good luck with the car. My prayers are with you.
zymurgist
idea.gif I think I could sell some stock and I might be able to make a deal work... if I can come up with a place to store this car until I can clear some space in my garage. (Maryland / NoVa guys, any suggestions?)

The problem with me, as always, is in the logistics. I'm going to Florida on Friday for 2 weeks and I would not be able to go to Ohio to check it out myself until January. So any help in getting a knowledgeable PPI would be appreciated.
JonH
With Mel's approval, I would be happy to help anyone here. I live around the corner from Mel but don't personally know him. As much as I would love the car it's not in the cards for me right now, but I do know my way around a 914. I also know a couple of good mechanics that might be able to do a PPI as well. If Mel or anyone here would like to contact me send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Jon

johnlush
Mel, I'm very interested. Very sorry to see the circumstances of your sale. Please email or PM me at your convenience and we can discuss. -John
krk
Mel,

Interested in the car. PM/email sent.

kim.

(tough situation, btw, and best of luck with it -- I'm quite sure it's not a pony ride)
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 15 2009, 03:33 AM) *

Could a member in Ohio do Mel a huge favor and go do a PPI with photo's on his car?

A 1972 French market 914/6 is fairly rare and my opinion is that real sixes will in 10+ years be fetching real close to 356 prices.

First, good luck with your health concern. As to the fetching real close to 356 prices..very true-IF one was willing to let it go.

Reason, I was offer a REAL GT back in 82 ( asking was 25k)... I came home and advise the wife.
Her comment was - we can buy it, BUT I know you will never sell it. So appreciation is out of the question here.. Looking back, yes I should have bought it, but then I might be paying her via a divorce settlement by now sad.gif

Good luck to any one that picks it up...yes it will cost you a ton of $$ to restore it.
My .02cents
krk
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 19 2009, 07:18 AM) *

A 1972 French market 914/6 is fairly rare and my opinion is that real sixes will in 10+ years be fetching real close to 356 prices.

First, good luck with your health concern. As to the fetching real close to 356 prices..very true-IF one was willing to let it go.

Reason, I was offer a REAL GT back in 82 ( asking was 25k)... I came home and advise the wife.
Her comment was - we can buy it, BUT I know you will never sell it. So appreciation is out of the question here.. Looking back, yes I should have bought it, but then I might be paying her via a divorce settlement by now sad.gif

Good luck to any one that picks it up...yes it will cost you a ton of $$ to restore it.
My .02cents

I actually agree with this, and I'm approaching the idea with some trepidation but some excitement as well.

I've not heard any response to my PM/email -- hoping that doesn't mean scary news(!) -- but I'm quite attracted to this restoration project, and I'm sure only my kids would see any return value from it laugh.gif

I don't suppose anyone has direct contact info for Mel? Or, if he needs it, act as an intermediary for him? (feel free to contact me via PM)

kim.
Jose Pitta
QUOTE(krk @ Dec 21 2009, 12:14 PM) *

My .02cents

I actually agree with this, and I'm approaching the idea with some trepidation but some excitement as well.

I've not heard any response to my PM/email -- hoping that doesn't mean scary news(!) -- but I'm quite attracted to this restoration project, and I'm sure only my kids would see any return value from it laugh.gif

I don't suppose anyone has direct contact info for Mel? Or, if he needs it, act as an intermediary for him? (feel free to contact me via PM)

kim.

hi every one Mel is one lucky guy to have all of you helping him.
I have ben in contact with Mel . i will be the new owner of the 72 914-6.
sould have it home in sunny Livermore Cal mid next month.
and first thing is take new photos for all of you to see.

Joe
Porsche Rescue
Congratulations. Looking forward to pics and more about the car. No more lurking, you are now one of us.
carr914
Jose/Joe welcome.png and to the -6 Community - Congrats

Mel, You remain in my thoughts & Prayers

Happy Holidays
T.C.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 22 2009, 03:44 AM) *

Jose/Joe welcome.png and to the -6 Community - Congrats

Mel, You remain in my thoughts & Prayers

Happy Holidays
T.C.

agree.gif The force be with you Mel!
EdwardBlume
Joe,

Congrats! I'm just up the street here in Pleasanton. Let me know if you need a trailer, or help rolling it home.

Rob
krk
QUOTE(Jose Pitta @ Dec 21 2009, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(krk @ Dec 21 2009, 12:14 PM) *

My .02cents

kim.

hi every one Mel is one lucky guy to have all of you helping him.
I have ben in contact with Mel . i will be the new owner of the 72 914-6.
sould have it home in sunny Livermore Cal mid next month.
and first thing is take new photos for all of you to see.

Joe

Joe, best of luck with the new addition -- look forward to seeing it out at a bay area meet of some sort! And of course, Mel, continued best of luck!

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.