Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why does my engine squeak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
Couple of weeks ago, I gave the old girl a tune-up. Oil-change, valve adjustment, fresh points, plugs, etc. No problems.

But this past week, I began to hear a new noise -- a squeak. Not the standard whistling, clattering Type IV noise, but a squeak. It seems most prominent at idle. I removed the fan belt with no change, so I know it's not the alternator.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Solo914
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 12 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Couple of weeks ago, I gave the old girl a tune-up. Oil-change, valve adjustment, fresh points, plugs, etc. No problems.

But this past week, I began to hear a new noise -- a squeak. Not the standard whistling, clattering Type IV noise, but a squeak. It seems most prominent at idle. I removed the fan belt with no change, so I know it's not the alternator.

Constant Whine?
Squeak squeak squeak?
Howl?

Kyle
Drums66
You mention a tune-up !!

maybe distributor idea.gif??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 12 2009, 12:49 PM) *

vacuum leak Dave?
blazerchad
strange.. just recently, i noticed a same sort of noise.. checked belt and vacuum...

strange little chirp...

davesprinkle
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Dec 12 2009, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 12 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Constant Whine?
Squeak squeak squeak?
Howl?

Kyle

I know these terms are subjective and difficult to convey, but not really a whine and not a howl. Similar in pitch to a squeaky hinge on your screen door. But constant, not intermittent.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 12 2009, 12:38 PM) *

You mention a tune-up !!

I just took off the cap and rotor. The felt wick was dry inside the shaft. I added a few drops of motor oil. Still squeaky. Maybe I should pull the distributor and bench check?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 12 2009, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 12 2009, 12:49 PM) *

vacuum leak Dave?

I can't rule that out, George, but I don't THINK so. The car doesn't run any differently. It idles OK, and has good throttle response. I'd expect a vacuum leak to sound more like a whistle anyway? Hoses are all new, rubber elbow is new, good oring on the oil filler.
Todd Enlund
It's not that alternator again, is it?
sean_v8_914
use a pc of fat hose as a scope. place one end up to your ear and probe near the dizzy with the other end. search till you can tell us teh general vicinity of the noises point of origin. dry sounding squeeks or chirps are typically mechanical interferences. is the sound rythmic to the engines rpm?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Dec 12 2009, 01:12 PM) *

It's not that alternator again, is it?

That's the first thing I thought of, Todd, but no joy. Running without the alternator belt has no effect on the squeaky-squeak.
swood
These little LJet buggers are finicky. Maybe just needs a little more attention or some food. biggrin.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 12 2009, 01:13 PM) *

use a pc of fat hose as a scope. place one end up to your ear and probe near the dizzy with the other end. search till you can tell us teh general vicinity of the noises point of origin. dry sounding squeeks or chirps are typically mechanical interferences. is the sound rythmic to the engines rpm?

I'll try the hose trick, Sean. The sound is constant, no periodicity.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(swood @ Dec 12 2009, 01:18 PM) *

These little LJet buggers are finicky. Maybe just needs a little more attention or some food. biggrin.gif

That's hilarious. Need more kibbles.
Eric_Shea
That's hilarious

Indeed. New meaning for the acronym HP.

Did you remember to put the oil back in? (OK... going back to being useless elsewhere... big box coming your way though)
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Dec 12 2009, 12:38 PM) *

You mention a tune-up !!

And Drums is the winner! (With a second-place finish to Sean.) The points cam inside the distribulator was dry. It had worn down the phenolic rubbing block on the points. In the last 2 weeks, the points gap had changed from .016" to .012".

I wiped a light coating of grease on the points cam, reset the gap, and no more squeaky-squeaky.

Thanks, everybody.
charliew
Points used to come with a little plastic bag of grease that you were supposed to wipe on the front side of the point rubbing block so it would stay lubed. If you just put lube on the cam it will wipe off but a little will still get on the block so that is better than nothing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.