Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ran my first autocross....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Okay, sorry for the deceptive title. It wasn't my first autocross, but it was the first in the wet. And it was AWESOME! The course work sucked, but the driving more than made up for it. Plus, the 914 really came into it's own out there. They don't call rain 'The Great Equalizer' for nothing.
It was flooding one corner of the lot so bad that we had to move part of the course in (Practice event. No timing/ranking issues). Just looking at what was buried out there, I saw a good 3 feet of standing water! I'm running competitive runs tomorrow, and I'm anxious to see how I stack up in that group. I think I was top 15 or so today.
Mark D.
BMXerror
Couple pics I thought you guys might enjoy from Saturday. BTW, I picked up my first class win on Sunday running in CST. boldblue.gif Tons o' Fun! driving.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark D.
dlo914
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats! This gives me motivation to hurry n finish up our Porscharu project!
BMXerror
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Dec 17 2009, 02:06 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Congrats! This gives me motivation to hurry n finish up our Porscharu project!

Will you come out and run with us when you do? biggrin.gif
Mark D.
championgt1
That is a massive amount of water to run a autocross in. blink.gif
MoveQik
That is awesome. I did a Bondurant driving school in the rain. The autocross session was a bust for all the fools that insisted flooring it coming out of the turns. We were in Mustang GT's. No problem pointing the wrong direction in those cars!
ME733
popcorn[1].gif Autocrossing in the RAIN will teach you more about CAR CONTROL than 3-4 "in the dry" events. Thats why you learned more... than you may realize at this time. By all means, as a begining driver take every opportunity to race in the rain. Your driving skills will improve expotentally. ps..way to go! popcorn[1].gif murray
carr914
I Love Racing in the rain. And because so many people hate it, I always finish well. Yor attention level has to be up a couple of notchs, especially with other cars around you.

I cropped your picture for you. Congrats on the Win smilie_pokal.gif .

T.C.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Pretty cool. I think you should have posted a course worker in that first pict.... unsure.gif
carr914
Here is a TiltShift version

Click to view attachment

More Teeners in the Wet Stuff

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And just make sure your car dries out good or it will end up like this mad.gif

Click to view attachment
dlo914
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Dec 17 2009, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Dec 17 2009, 02:06 AM) *

Mark D.

For sure! Gotta make use of the set of RT-615's we picked up for our 14'! Give us like less than 6 months and should have our car running and well sorted out. Right now we're about to mock up the engine into the car and from there we just need to get on the wiring, brakes, and cooling system.
BMXerror
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Dec 18 2009, 07:07 AM) *

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Dec 17 2009, 06:41 PM) *

Mark D.

For sure! Gotta make use of the set of RT-615's we picked up for our 14'! Give us like less than 6 months and should have our car running and well sorted out. Right now we're about to mock up the engine into the car and from there we just need to get on the wiring, brakes, and cooling system.

Bitchin. The full 2010 schedule is posted at www.solo2.com. You'll probably stomp me pretty quick with that thing, but it'll be good to have some help representin' for the 'ugly Porsches'. biggrin.gif
Thanks TC. I have hi-res versions that I'll probably play with too. The pictures you posted are awesome. Especially the third one.
Rob, I WAS that corner worker in the prior run group. I was essentially soaked from head to toe all day. Also, the cone that I'm passing in that photo was in about 2 inches of standing water. So the wake from a car going by would move it out of it's box EVERY TIME, whether he touched it or not. Working course was brutal, but the driving was well worth it.
Murray, I know I learned a lot. It's kinda funny, because due to some dry skid pad testing a couple months back, I knew that the tires had more to give. So I went into the weekend thinking that I should work on pushing my preconceived notion of where the limit was. Well, running in the rain on Saturday really helped me practice testing the limit. I took that and applied it in the semi-dry on Sunday and it paid off. Great way to end the year.
Tons of pics on at these two links.
Saturday:
http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2009-auto...dec-2-remember/
Sunday:
http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2009-auto...dec-champ-race/
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.