Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thank you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm not naming names, but I just wanted to openly thank the people here who have entrusted me with their cars.

3 months ago I was up against an ugly, unstable wall. I watched 5 shops in my area shut down, one of the 2 shops I was doing work for slowed to the point I had no reason to continue going there, and he is now down to only himself ( from 3 ). The other shop, the italian cars, I went back with as my only work. He eventually slowed to the point he couldn't pay me, and still owes me quite a bit of money. I was at a point of no-return and felt my only option was to open my own shop, in what is being called the worst economy in 20+ years. I had ONE car, Mike's, and a couple of local quick jobs ( suspension pans and a quick, cheap paint job) to start out with. I put my ass on the line big time, borrowed a fair sum on a credit card since no bank would give me a loan, spent the first month moving, building an office and a bathroom, and trying to scratch up some money to stay afloat. 2 months later I actually have 4 jobs to count on, and a couple others in the wait. I know there is a still a long way to go before I will feel totally confident that this was the right move, but were it not for those of you who stepped up so far, I would not have made it this far.

So anyway,

thank you to the ones I have now

thank you to the next few

and thank you to any in the future beerchug.gif

Back to my normal ass-hattery now rolleyes.gif
beech4rd
Well done. I am trying to keep a small business with 5 employees afloat in this miserable excuse for an economy and I'm very happy for you. It's really tough out there.

Chris
GeorgeRud
After running my own business for over 30 years, my advice is to keep it simple, keep your overhead low, and treat your customers like you would like to be treated. It's a tough time right now, but you have to keep your spirits up and we'll all get through this.
johnnie5
I'm down to one guy, and myself. 2009 has been tuff for sure. I have high hopes for 2010... what else can I have! It does feel good to get some jobs when you haven't had a few for a bit though!

Hang in there. beer.gif
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif That is how Millionare's get started.. And at least you know in your heart you gave it all.. beer3.gif Cheers.. Good Show win lose or draw..
johnnie5
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 12 2009, 07:56 PM) *

After running my own business for over 30 years, my advice is to keep it simple, keep your overhead low, and treat your customers like you would like to be treated. It's a tough time right now, but you have to keep your spirits up and we'll all get through this.

agree.gif What he said...
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 12 2009, 07:47 PM) *

Post some pics of your work! smash.gif

It's called free advertising ...
beerchug.gif biggrin.gif Andy
Lou W
Very Cool Scotty, wish you continued success, my Mortgage business crashed 2 years ago and I don't see it coming back for at least another couple of years (no, I didn't do any of the stupid loans), now self employed as a General Contractor, only one person most of the time, it's scary making big changes at this time in my life, but, I'll get through it.
It's great to have a good group of people here to have fun with. I think even with life's uncertainties we all are pretty fortunate.

beerchug.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 12 2009, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 12 2009, 07:47 PM) *

Post some pics of your work! smash.gif

It's called free advertising ...
beerchug.gif biggrin.gif Andy

Well if the supreme commander extraordinair insists laugh.gif This is the lateset suc........errrrr the latest customers car.
scotty b
couple from the behind
rick 918-S
Scotty,

BTDT! Every week you make your nut is a victory. Just remember, business is not about a good paint job or a straight panel. Business is about making money. The only "Good Job" is one you made money on. The hardest thing to do when you start a new business is to learn to say no. When you get up in the morning look in the mirror and practice saying no. This may not make sense now but someday you will know exactly what I mean.
Dr Evil
Ha! He already failed the "say no" test with me wink.gif

For more pics of Scotty's work, click the link in my sig. He is doing me a favor for a great price and I can not think of anyone else that I would want working on my replacement car. I finally get to have it correct biggrin.gif
Spoke
Good luck Scotty. Keep up the good work. You do fantastic work. As Sir Andy said, post some pics. I love seeing your work. Really enjoy seeing the work you're doing for the good Doc.
oldschool

Scott I hear you man, I had to make a move 2 years ago That I wish maybe I never made,With the writers strike and not being able to refinance my home,put me in pretty hard place. O did in mention the fact that I invested and put my freelance work on hold,to help start a media Co. that at the end after we where up and running and ready to move into a turn key recording studio I was ask to split.
(there regretting it) Any way tough times don't last tough people do.
Know I'm doing way better then when I was white the Corp.
And getting ready to move in a new studio,with 2 other business in the works. hang in there man.
btw let me help you out man ,lets print-up some cool t-shirts for you ....on me.
blessing.
craig downs
Best of luck and success Scotty. You do awesome work and good advice. I hope and pray that it works out for you.
Mark Henry
Take Rick's advice. I've shut down partly from the slow down, but also partly because of cheap asses (bug guy's) taking advantage of my good nature.

Right now I have at least $8K+ of outstanding invoices and 2 cars getting basically free storage. I know those two guy's have good jobs, but all I get is whining and empty promises. They will be really whining in the spring because it's going to be pay me now, sell your car or I put a lien on it.

My new career also has real lousy pay, but it has immense job satisfaction.

carr914
Scotty, I wish you were closer, I could get you addition jobs.

Good Luck

T.C.
ChrisFoley
I've been waiting over three months for a local shop to complete a restoration paint job for me. Another shop took more than 2 months to do a back half job. Surface work only, no fabrication. I don't' know how they are too busy to do these projects in a timely manner but I'm discouraged about using any of the paint shops around here.
As a result I have had to give busy-work to my employees since we don't have much other work right now. Once we get the resto car back at least one of them will be busy for a few weeks.
watsonrx13
Congratulations Scotty, keep up the great work... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
Ian Stott
Scotty I went through a large financial adjustment a couple years ago and wouldn't wish that on anyone. (Managed to keep my teener but couldn't spend any money on it!!) I think you have done the right thing in setting yourself up as you have, having much more control is better and you will have more peace of mind. I am trying hard to help a young man here in Moncton keep his auto upholstery business afloat, bottom line, great work is always your best advertising and people will seek you out. All the best wishes to you.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
rick 918-S
To explain my A hole advise a little further, When you transition from being a worker bee it's hard to think about the job in terms of making money. As a tec your just used to thinking about the job in terms of "doing good work" Hence, a good job to a bodyman is a really nice car everyone give you compliments on. To a businessman a good job is one that makes a fair profit and your banker compiments you on. Anyone asking Scotty to put out is best everyday should have no problem with helping make is job mean "A good Job" in the professional sense. You have now transitioned from a bodyman to a business man. Time to reinvent yourself as all us old bodymen need to do.
scotty b
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Mark I hate to hear what you are dealing with. I know it is hard to be the hard ass and put leins on customers cars, that automatically makes you the asshole. I have already passed on a roadster job because I had a bad vibe from the owner so I asked my Porsche friends about the guy. turns out every one of them said to walk away from him. He has a rep of talking shit about the people he has dealt with to a point HE has the bad rep. It's a shame becauwe he not only has that roadster but also a bent window cab he wanted me to do sad.gif

Chris, that seems to be the game with the majority of body shops I have been around. Particulalry if they do collision work. The resto job will always sit , because the collision job is much better money. I know I could easily get a job in a collision shop and walk home with 75,000 + as a painter, but I just am not happy in that line of work. No personal satisfaction in patching up a Toyota. My goal is to have 4 cars at a time, rotating each on a weekly basis. That way the customers car gets worked on, they have a number they can budget for and I maintain cashflow. That's the plan at least, seems to make sense confused24.gif

I notice on the forums I frequnet, and people I talk to in person, there seems to be a slow transition BACK to small, private businesses by the individuals who are losing their jobs. Maybe old school America can return......maybe.................
TJB/914
Scotty b,

Congratulations, you will be successful, because you do quality work. Word of mouth spread around by 914-world will fill your shop.

How about posting your shop name, address, & phone # so everyone can put you on file. type.gif

Going into business reminds me of myself. I started my business in 1987 when the company I worked for went bankrupt & I was out of a job in 1-week. My wife was a homemaker & I had (2) kids starting college. Failure was not an option!!!
Today, when I look back it was the begining of my current career as a Mfg. Sales Rep. in the Power & Utility industry.

Tom
r_towle
we should talk. pm your number.

I may ship you one of my cars.

Rich
jd74914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 13 2009, 09:58 PM) *

How about posting your shop name, address, & phone # so everyone can put you on file. type.gif

agree.gif

A friend of mine moved from CT to NC and is looking for someone to do some minor body work and paint his '65 (IIRC) Buick Wildcat. If you aren't comfortable posting contact information could you shoot me a PM so I can pass it along.

Congrats on getting your own shop off the ground and good luck! smile.gif
Dr Evil
I cant wait until I have time to swing by and "help" you out some wink.gif beerchug.gif
number6
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 13 2009, 06:58 PM) *

Word of mouth spread around by 914-world will fill your shop.

That's the sort of scenario that would scare the bejeebers out of most bodyshop owners! laugh.gif

I wish you all the best, Scotty. There's definitely a void in the niche you're filling. I wish there was someone like you in my area.

Rick is a wise man with his words of advice - I wish someone had shared the same wisdom with me when I first travelled down the entrepreneurial road!

Keep your overhead low. Treat your customers well. Treat your employees even better. Pay yourself. Have a real contingency plan...and a contingency plan to the contingency plan. Sell benefits, not features. Read <Purple Cow> (because traditional marketing no longer works!). Focus your time and energy on your areas of brilliance, where you get energy, produce extraordinary results, and make money. Hire someone complementary to you to be your office manager/personal assistant, to take care of all the things you should not be doing (though keep an eye on the finances!). Never pick up the phone when you are not in the right mood. And if you must turn away a customer, try to point him in the right direction. And remember: Every obstacle is an opportunity in disguise! This mindset will help you see solutions when challenges present themselves - and they will! These are the core lessons that have served me well over the years - perhaps they can serve you, too.

Here's wishing you all the best!

-duc
VaccaRabite
Dood, you need to be closer. I'd put you to work on the truck, since I never have time to touch it.

Zach
rick 918-S
QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 13 2009, 11:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Dec 13 2009, 06:58 PM) *

Word of mouth spread around by 914-world will fill your shop.

That's the sort of scenario that would scare the bejeebers out of most bodyshop owners! laugh.gif

I wish you all the best, Scotty. There's definitely a void in the niche you're filling. I wish there was someone like you in my area.

Rick is a wise man with his words of advice - I wish someone had shared the same wisdom with me when I first travelled down the entrepreneurial road!

Keep your overhead low. Treat your customers well. Treat your employees even better. Pay yourself. Have a real contingency plan...and a contingency plan to the contingency plan. Sell benefits, not features. Read <Purple Cow> (because traditional marketing no longer works!). Focus your time and energy on your areas of brilliance, where you get energy, produce extraordinary results, and make money. Hire someone complementary to you to be your office manager/personal assistant, to take care of all the things you should not be doing (though keep an eye on the finances!). Never pick up the phone when you are not in the right mood. And if you must turn away a customer, try to point him in the right direction. And remember: Every obstacle is an opportunity in disguise! This mindset will help you see solutions when challenges present themselves - and they will! These are the core lessons that have served me well over the years - perhaps they can serve you, too.

Here's wishing you all the best!

-duc

I agree with alot of this. A couple cautions and a couple personal stories. I had 6 full time guys working for me plus an office manager.

Never let any office help near your check book. This cost me dearly.

Start a P.O. system, Number every job, never deviate from this. I lost thousands of dollars to a very slick con man I had working in my office. He was working on opening his own shop. He ordered parts and shop supplies and walked them out the back door for about a year before Sandy caught the discrepency.

The guy would order parts and make purchases and hide the bills when the mail came until they were like 90 over. Sandy would call me asking what the purchase was 90+ days ago... screwy.gif After an ass chewing session she would pay the bill.

I gave him a second chance and he brought his dads car in the shop over the weekend, fixed a key scratch down both sides I'm sure he did himself, and collected the check and cashed it. I normally wouldn't care but the check was made out to my shop. I would get nailed for the taxes!

I when fired him I went to his house and collected about 1500.00 in shop supplies. The guy had balls enough to try to collect un-employment insurance... shades.gif ya right.

Every guy I had had serious baggage. Be a nice guy but never cross the employee/employer relationship. It sounds harsh but employees are tools. Only rent the use of a tool when you can't possible handle any more work yourself.

Resist hiring guys and paying them cash. you will open up a can of whoopass on your self you will never forget.

Remember you just crossed a threshold here from being the best of the best in bodymen to a new business owner. Time to re-invent yourself.

Good luck.
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2009, 08:09 PM) *

Rich

poke.gif You know you can't afford me lol-2.gif

As for my shop info, I have a guy that started working on a website last night so when that is done I will talk to Andy about getting a banner here. Until then, if you want to contact me feel free to send me a pm or e-mail and I will give you my number. smile.gif Jim I would loveto do your buddies Wildcat. I have a weakness for Buicks, especially ones with nailheads in them. I have a 401 from a wildcat for my 53 Chevy pickup aktion035.gif

Zach..........ship it slap.gif BTW I found one about 7 miles from the shop, sitting in the guys back yard with a faded for sale sign in the windshield, and fresh for sale signs growing all around it. Need a parts truck ??
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 16 2009, 08:08 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 13 2009, 08:09 PM) *

Rich

poke.gif You know you can't afford me lol-2.gif

KMA.gif
plymouth37
I have seen your work and it is fantastic, Best of luck on your venture.
I wish you were closer, the Anklebiter could use a nice coat of paint in a year or two...
jimkelly
4 jobs and a few waiting in line.

sounds like you are off to a good start : )

all the best on your new venture!

one day, i hope to drop off a 914 or two with you.

i gotta sell some homes first!

oh yeah - last week i smashed my 1999 accord - a little scratched up : (
pete-stevers
congrats Scotty!!
It was ten years ago i walked out of the grocery store and started my own shop.
I have had it very good and then just about lost it all, daunting to some but i love it a heck of a lot better than punching clocks!
People will always present the biggest challenge be it staff or customers.
some will become friends, others fireside horror storries.
looking back i think simpler is better, and less, sometimes is more.
but i wish you all the best! And do your damdest to enjoy the ride!
Dr Evil
It is probably worth it to ship a car to Scotty even if he is not close. The cost would likely be negligible in the long run and the work would be top notch. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.