Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steveherman
Looking at the Hot-Spark.com page.
A parts place here is a distributor of their products.
He stopped selling the Pertronix and all other electronic ignition kits... EXCEPT THE HOT-SPARK.
He had a batch of bad Pertronix and the manufacturer would not do anything warranty wise. So he moved on to these.
In three years has had one bad one and the warranty service he said was fantastic.

So i am trying to decide whick one to get...

The vacuum-advance or centrifugal-advance?

Pros and cons of each?
Dr. Roger
The last page summarizes it up pretty good.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech...dification.html

steveherman
I have a stock 2.0 FI.
And this page is talking about potiacs and modified cars modified carbs.
I am asking about porsches and unmodified 2.0 liters.
detoxcowboy
Crane Fireball 700.. Works Excellent w/ non-modified 2.0 w/ factory vaccum advance. But cost about $100 more the the $49.99 Hot-Spark but I thinks its worth it.

Personal I would not change the factory advance desighn from vacumm to mechanincal unless you have to do so to get the most out of your intentions. But what I think the first reply is it is a question of where and what your going to do with the car.. If your keeping it more or less stock for the streets than that answers its own question but if your going to do further modification than its really your personal call.
Dr. Roger
Ummm, are you buying an entire distributor or just the ignition spark trigger mechanism.

If it's just the trigger, then you are not making the decision to go either mechanical or vacuum. That Hall Effect switch goes inside your stock distributor and the stock distributor will continue to advance and retard as it did from the factory.

EDIT: Whoops, now I see at the lower area of the page, the distributors. In that case just match the specs of a stock 914 dizzy to one of these. the .009 dizzy's curve specs differ from a stock injected 914 if I remember correctly.
SLITS
First off, vacuum advance is only active under deacceleration and part throttle. You have to have vacuum for it to work. On acceleration, you don't really have a lot of vacuum. Vacuum advance is primarily for gas mileage and emissions.

On acceleration, all advance is mechanical.
Mark Henry
He says stock 2.0 FI

The D-jet dizzy has another set of points that trigger the injectors, so NO these dizzys will not work.

You could use one of the ignition points kits.
steveherman
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 13 2009, 09:23 PM) *

He says stock 2.0 FI

The D-jet dizzy has another set of points that trigger the injectors, so NO these dizzys will not work.

will this work?
is it a stock replacement?
http://www.Hot-Spark.com/1-Hot-Spark-Bosch-SVDA034.htm
type2man
I bought a points replacement from hotspark on ebay for my 914/6 and he answered all my questions with helpful links of pictures of what I need and I had the item in my hand 3 days after payment. Car fired right up and ran perfect. No complaints here.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(steveherman @ Dec 13 2009, 10:39 PM) *

He says stock 2.0 FI

will this work?

NO.

Distributor is a genuine Bosch 0 231 170 034 - a Bosch OEM version of the federal model VW 043-905-205 distributor that came stock from the factory on the 1974 VW Beetle with 1600 engine, 34PICT carburetor and manual transmission. Perfect for use with the 34PICT carburetor.

The 2.0 dizzy is sort of like a double dizzy. It has one set of points for the ignitiion and a whole other set to trigger the fuel injection. So no.

Yes it will work on carbs, but it's basicly a 009 and on the T4 you might have a better luck stuffing your dizzy hole full of dog stromberg.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(steveherman @ Dec 13 2009, 10:39 PM) *

He says stock 2.0 FI

will this work?

NO.

Distributor is a genuine Bosch 0 231 170 034 - a Bosch OEM version of the federal model VW 043-905-205 distributor that came stock from the factory on the 1974 VW Beetle with 1600 engine, 34PICT carburetor and manual transmission. Perfect for use with the 34PICT carburetor.

The 2.0 dizzy is sort of like a double dizzy. It has one set of points for the ignitiion and a whole other set to trigger the fuel injection. So no.

Yes it will work on carbs, but it's basicly a 009 and on the T4 you might have a better luck stuffing your dizzy hole full of dog stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.