Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about a new dash layout!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
This is my design for a new dash layout. The idea is that it should be possible to see the guages through a momo wheel.
Aaron Cox
i dunt see it.... wink.gif
fiid
png?
fiid
Obviously I havent added lamp spaces for all the warning lights yet - will get to that.

Anyone interested in something similar??? Got any feedback??? Got a machine that could knock a few out??? What's the interest level???

The outside pods are for VDO 2 1/16" guages - I am going to have Fuel and Water Temp guage, with Tach and Speedo in the center. I have a VDO tach remounted to fit in an enclosure the same size as the speedo - don't know if they have an off-the-shelf tach in that size - might be better.

Fiid.
fiid
This is my 1000th post!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
djm914-6
Don't need a CNC for glassfibre or carbonfibre!

Make a mold and pour your own!
lapuwali
One hardly needs CNC machinery to make something like this. With some patience, a hand drill, a file, and a nibbling tool, this could be made from a sheet of Al or steel quite easily. I've made decent simple dashes out of 2mm Al using nothing but hand tools.

Look at www.egauges.com to get an idea of what VDO gauges are available and how much they cost. One issue is I'm unsure if an aftermarket 2 1/16" gauge is available from VDO or anyone else that matches the stock fuel level sender. egauges doesn't list one, and I've not seen one on any other online store.

Have you tried making a paper or cardboard template to try out the visibility of this dash with a smaller wheel? My knee jerk reaction is you'll be able to see the tach and speedo fine, but you won't be able to see the fuel or temp gauges. Either the wheel or your hands will block the view.
fiid
Yeah - I realize I don't actually need CNC for this - but I was wondering if anyone else was interested, and if so - then maybe it would be worth doing a run of them

I don't have the tools to cut one out (I don't even have the tools you mention :-) ) and a CNC laser cutter was the first thing to come to mind (least effort)
fiid
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Mar 20 2004, 05:23 PM)
Don't need a CNC for glassfibre or carbonfibre!

Make a mold and pour your own!

Nope, but you do need a kevlar layer in there for safety reasons. TAP Plastics in SF told me that THEY could hardly cut the kevlar stuff. I'm pretty sure something like 2mm aluminium is the way to go!
lapuwali
Kevlar for safety reasons? Dunno where you heard that Kevlar nonsense, but it's just that. The dash is hardly a structural part (other than supporting the weight of the gauges, which is pretty small), and even structural parts can and are regularly made from fiberglass with no Kevlar. A fiberglass part would probably be the better choice if you wanted to make several, although making the mold would be just about as difficult (and require as many tools) as making one copy from flat Al sheet. Fiberglass work is messy and smelly.

As for the tools, a nibbler is about $20. A file is about $10. We're not talking bank breaking money here. A run on a CNC machine would cost a LOT more.

IMHO, find your gauges and make the first copy out of corrugated cardboard with a pair of scissors and an Xacto knife. You'll be able to check everything and get the wring done and operational before cutting any metal or making any molds.

If you do find a 2" VDO gauge that matches the stock sender, let me know.
Joe Bob
You might want to consider differnt gauges....here the new CHT volmeter gauge I just had made....

IPB Image

IPB Image
75boxster
Can't take credit for cluster other than the conversion to
the digital gauges and the addition of the low oil pressure
and low fuel idot lights.

IPB Image
MattR
You can buy black fiberglass in sheet. To cut it just print out your design an cut it out with a dremel tool and clean up with a sanding block. Just make SURE to wear eye, mouth, and skin protection (gloves). You will probably also want a long sleeve shirt. That stuff gets in your skin and stuff almost worse then carbon fiber.
jonwatts
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 20 2004, 07:19 PM)
You might want to consider differnt gauges....here the new CHT volmeter gauge I just had made....

Them look like aircraft gauges.
dinomium
I have never dealt with these guys, but they do have a different take on the displays..
http://www.9xauto.com/914.html
Chris914n6
Molded ABS is cheap and pretty easy if you can make a wood buck. Or go thick and only bend the bottom under.

Chris
fiid
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Mar 20 2004, 07:13 PM)
Kevlar for safety reasons? Dunno where you heard that Kevlar nonsense, but it's just that. The dash is hardly a structural part (other than supporting the weight of the gauges, which is pretty small), and even structural parts can and are regularly made from fiberglass with no Kevlar. A fiberglass part would probably be the better choice if you wanted to make several, although making the mold would be just about as difficult (and require as many tools) as making one copy from flat Al sheet. Fiberglass work is messy and smelly.

As for the tools, a nibbler is about $20. A file is about $10. We're not talking bank breaking money here. A run on a CNC machine would cost a LOT more.

IMHO, find your gauges and make the first copy out of corrugated cardboard with a pair of scissors and an Xacto knife. You'll be able to check everything and get the wring done and operational before cutting any metal or making any molds.

If you do find a 2" VDO gauge that matches the stock sender, let me know.

Uh no - wrong end of the stick. You don't want fibreglass in the cabin because when it breaks it splinters. In a collision situation - you don't want them picking shard of the guage cluster out of your head. Same reason they don't use wood in car interiors anymore.

Nibbler looks cool - I'l get one and see how it goes. I do know how much a file costs - and in fact I have several.
Engman
Looks like a cad drawing - send it to me and I will see if I can get you one.

M
tod914
There use to be a 911 style dash cap that adapted to the 914. Look very nice from the 2 cars I seen it in. Maybe check into that.
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(75boxster @ Mar 20 2004, 11:25 PM)
Can't take credit for cluster other than the conversion to
the digital gauges and the addition of the low oil pressure
and low fuel idot lights.

IPB Image

MAN THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL!
Where did you get them? Also are they a pain to hookup?

Thanks! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
You don't want fibreglass in the cabin because when it breaks it splinters

IMHO, if you get involved in a crash bad enough to cause any damage to the dash and gauge cluster, just imagine what kind of impact it would have to be.......you'll be picking metal out of your body before any of the 'glass fibers sad.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 22 2004, 09:25 AM)
IMHO

URAHOMO?

Yeah we discussed this here when Andy got his c/f 911 dash, people said the same thing. I'd like to play with the materials to see how much flex is acheived before it fails.
ppickerell
Fiid,
I can easily cut them on my laser. You could then have them anodized if you wish. Many cool colrs available in anodize finish.
mightyohm
What about that frontpanelexpress company that Megasquirt talks about in the assembly instructions?

You could draw the whole panel in their software and get a price quote. It would be interesting to see how much it would cost. I think they offer anodizing and everything.
Scott S
Those guages are avaialble all day long in JC Whitney and Jegs catalogs. They are pretty inexpensive too ($39 - $59)
rhilgers
Use at least one more bolt than you think you need wink.gif

"A 38-year-old man was killed when his pickup hit a ditch at 60 mph, with the cause of death later determined to be that the truck's radio had been jarred loose during the crash sequence and hit him on the head (Timberlake, N.C., January)."

-Rich

REF:http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Mar/03112004/nation_w/146766.asp
Mark Henry
I think mikez's gauge is from Westach

http://www.westach.com/

Real nice stuff...how about 4 gauges in one...cool
cool_shades.gif
fiid
WestTach has a reasonable looking fuel guage - I wonder if it will work okay with our stock senders? It might be possible to add some resistors to make it work right....
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 22 2004, 06:33 AM)
There use to be a 911 style dash cap that adapted to the 914. Look very nice from the 2 cars I seen it in. Maybe check into that.

you mean like that?
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.