Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outdoor Winter Storage Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am in the process of packing my non-daily driver cars away for the winter. I am left with one car that does not have a place to hibernate- my 914. Unfortunately, I am out of garage space. I really do not want to pay someone to keep my car in storage.

My 914 is 100% rust free and I would like to keep it that way. Are there any cheap options for keeping a car outside while also protecting it from the elements. I would assume that a cover would do the trick. I have seen "car pockets" but all the ones that I have seen say for indoor only. Any ideas?
Mike Bellis
Get a big tarp from Home Depot and some PVC plastic pipe and fittings. for under 50 bucks you can make a small car port to cover your car. the PVC frame will keep the tarp off the car.
iamchappy
http://www.carcapsule.com/

I would use one of these if i had to leave it out.
The other option would be one of those tarped carports.
flipb
If you end up going with a cover, Covercraft Stormproof seems to get good reviews but they're awfully expensive. I bought one but I haven't really tested it yet - just had it on in the carport. Autopartswarehouse.com has it for $241 - search part number C37CVC2SP98PR2568 it should come up.

VaccaRabite
The above will work so long as you do not get significant snow over the winter. If you do, the structure will one day fail. It is a great California solution, but probably not a good Ohio solution.

Plastic on the ground to block ground water coming up. A sturdy tarp over the car (that goes UNDER the plastic so water does not sheet inside and get trapped on the plastic.)

If you are doing this on grass, expect not to have any more grass when you bring the car out of storage.

Zach
VaccaRabite
And don't forget the moth balls, or you will have mice.

Zach
6freak
Clean out your garage poke.gif ...Downey dryer sheet(use the whole box and put it everywhere) works good for the mouse thing and your car will smell good come spring

Good luck
ConeDodger
I think that car capsule requires 12V power for inflation but there is another called carbag I think. You drive in and zip it shut around the car. No experience with it, but it sounds good in theory.
Cevan
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 13 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Get a big tarp from Home Depot and some PVC plastic pipe and fittings. for under 50 bucks you can make a small car port to cover your car. the PVC frame will keep the tarp off the car.

I think it snows in Ohio. That would crush that PVC pipe in a heartbeat.
Cevan
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 13 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Wet snow would crush that setup in a heartbeat.
tornik550
Ohio weather sucks. A little snow here and there, sometimes a lot. Lots of rain and sleet.

I have a somewhat tough situation because I had to pick which cars would be inside for the winter. I've got a few porsches. Although my 914 is my favorite, it is also the least valuable so its sleeping outside.

I am thinking about getting one of these things.
http://www.discountramps.com/car-pocket.htm
they say that it is for indoor only. I have read some posts where people said they used it outdoors and it worked fine. I think that I will put the car in the car pocket and then put an all-weather car cover over top of the car pocket. I suppose that the car pocket would protect it from the elements and the car cover would protect the car pocket from the elements.
Elliot Cannon
Drive it out here and leave it for the winter. I'll drive it back to Ohio for ya.
tornik550
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 13 2009, 09:40 PM) *

Drive it out here and leave it for the winter. I'll drive it back to Ohio for ya.

Cause of this crap weather, there are not too many rust free 914's out here- thats why I had mine shipped from where you are!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.