Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Meister's rep?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FAT DANNY
They're right down the street from me and look like a good place, but I'd like to hear from someone who has used them. Were their quotes and time-frames accurate? I need minor stuff now, and am looking at upgrades in March.
championgt1
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(FAT DANNY @ Dec 13 2009, 10:02 PM) *

They're right down the street from me and look like a good place, but I'd like to hear from someone who has used them. Were their quotes and time-frames accurate? I need minor stuff now, and am looking at upgrades in March.

If I send you a grenade will you go down there and pull the pin and throw it in the door for me?

PM sixnotfour on this site and you will get good honest value for your money.
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Dec 13 2009, 10:05 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

hello jack, what's the verdict
Dr Evil
welcome.png

Type in their name in the search function and see what wonderful badness you can find smile.gif
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2009, 10:11 PM) *

:wttc:

Type in their name in the search function and see what wonderful badness you can find :)

Wow, that was quick; thanks guys.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2009, 10:11 PM) *
Type in their name in the search function and see what wonderful badness you can find smile.gif

agree.gif

Makes for a nice reading ...
biggrin.gif Andy
championgt1
QUOTE(FAT DANNY @ Dec 13 2009, 10:10 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I have heard a few people on here refer to them as Motor Scheister. lol-2.gif

Oh, and welcome.png
messix
i know a guy up here that sent a motor down to them for a rebuild..... it runs far worse that it did when it was worn out.
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Dec 13 2009, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(FAT DANNY @ Dec 13 2009, 10:10 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I have heard a few people on here refer to them as Motor Scheister. lol-2.gif

Oh, and welcome.png

LOL I'm glad I found this site.
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 13 2009, 10:35 PM) *

i know a guy up here that sent a motor down to them for a rebuild..... it runs far worse that it did when it was worn out.

That's what I was afraid of, thanks for the Info.
This is the most active forum I've ever been in, pretty cool...
NORD

now are you glad you asked?

People here are alot of help just ask

welcome.png driving.gif
hot_shoe914
I have no first hand knowledge of this place and everything I have ever heard has been bad except one. I have a very good friend that uses them for almost all of his 911 work and he loves them. His cars run awesome also but heck, go with the majority and toss a grenade in the door.
Dr Evil
Danny, what is it that you want? We can help steer you in a direction (maybe a right one smile.gif ).
carr914
welcome.png

If you have a few hours, you can go over to Pelican, there must be 50 threads about the Scheisters.

T.C.
J P Stein
I've had my hot little hands on a MM motor.....the carnage was impressive.
6freak
RUN FOREST RUN
ClayPerrine
To quote King Arthur...

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 14 2009, 08:53 AM) *

To quote King Arthur...

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Isn't that a song from Slade as well?
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 13 2009, 11:25 PM) *

Danny, what is it that you want? We can help steer you in a direction (maybe a right one smile.gif ).

Hey Doc, thanks for the response. I'm not sure what I want the end result to be yet, but this is my daily driver. My last car took a dump and my options were to buy a new car, or something cool. I figured that instead of making a monthly payment, I could use those funds for repairs/upgrades. Right now the car runs good. It's a '73 dual carb 2.0 that's basically stock. The mechanical stuff that I need repaired now are the shifter (sloppy short-throw, I hope it's not the tranny) and the brakes. The e-brake will not hold the car and the master feels spongy. The clutch also slips when I mash the pedal at a low RPM. I need good local repair shop that knows these cars. Would you recommend a Porsche/Volkswagen dealership?
In the future I'd like a turbo for the 2.0 and some bigger calipers & Porshce master. My biggest concern now is finding a good shop that I can trust. I'm not good at mechanical stuff, except when it comes to breaking it.

Thx. Danny
championgt1
Look for a good local independent shop. A Porsche/VW dealership is going to know NOTHING about these cars. Ask around here for a good shop. Guys in your area will steer you in the right direction.
flipb
One technique I've found:

Go to google maps. Zoom down to your locale. Then search for "aircooled" or "air-cooled".

Should turn up some shops that specialize in old VW/Porsche engines.

Of course, you're better off getting a recommendation from someone - so post any candidate shops on here and see what other members have to say.
Rob-O 1167
By the way, you CANNOT turbo charge the 914!

Jeesh, how many times do we have to go through this?

wink.gif
jmill
I wouldn't recommend a turbo on a DD especially if your not going to do your own work. Lots of tweaking involved.

Check out the 2270 DD from Jake. http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.p...3&Itemid=73
tat2dphreak
isn't original Customs in so. Cal?
their 2056 is a great deal for a longblock!

Jake's Kits are a good deal and will really walk you through the build process with the included video, I'll bet Danny could pull that off

I wouldn't recommend a turbo 914 unless you can really afford to have jake do it all for you. and I'm not sure he'd even want to steer you to a turbo for a DD. probably a nice 2270

I would start with a budget, and build a nice -4 around that, or, if your budget is in the 5 figures, you can probably do a 6 conversion... but for a nice DD, a 2270 or 2056 will be very nice.

Dr Evil
Original Customs is in Sonoma/Napa in Nor Cal. the 2056 is a great engine.
tat2dphreak
ok, I fail at California geography wink.gif
yeahmag
Do you just need a motor built or are you looking for more?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 15 2009, 10:03 AM) *

ok, I fail at California geography wink.gif

And Spellography ... It's Kalifornia ... rolleyes.gif
zymurgist
You guys and your Teutonic Governator... wink.gif
tat2dphreak
It's Kalifornia

great movie, :hijack:
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(FAT DANNY @ Dec 13 2009, 10:02 PM) *

If you use them for "minor stuff" now, I can pretty much GUARANTEE you'll NEED upgrades/major repairs soon.

The Cap'n
jmill
I was going to recommend Stricktly Foreign. I see now that they're in Or. WTF.gif

Didn't they used to be in LA? I bought a couple of engines from them in the 80's.
FAT DANNY
Hey fellas, thanks for the input. I was searching for this post for a while, but hot chicks kept interfering. I intend to keep this as a daily-driver so the power-train will remain stock, (I got excited when I watched a 2.0 turbo on you-tube.) Now I just need a good local shop for tuning, brakes, a shifter adjustment, clutch job, etc. I just wanna drive; I get no satisfaction from wrenchin. As far as budget goes, I bought this car cause I didn't want a new car (that I could afford.) 50K+ doesn't work for me.

Thanks again for the tips; I'm gonna try "air-cooled" searches.

PS: nice hotties happy11.gif
GeorgeRud
Depending on your location, try getting in touch with Otto's in Venice Beach, Ca. John has been working on these cars for years now, and though he can be "interesting", he certainly could lead you in the right direction to get your car sorted out.
Gudhjem
Robert at Dutch Treat in Redondo/Manhattan Beach is great. Specializes in Porsches. I used him for all my 911 work when I lived in Manhattan Beach, and we used to talk 914s all the time.
FAT DANNY
Thaaaaaaaaank you misters!!! biggrin.gif
burton73
You need some one that is good and that is honest. The guys here can tell you what is wrong with your car as they know these cars like there are there kids. Even if you do not turn the wrenches it will be great to know what is going on. Some day you may turn a wrench. These cars are great to work on and there are books that show you what to do.

What town do you live in or near? You say Southern Cal.

Bob
welcome.png
ottox914
YES YOU CAN turbo a 914. If you have lots of time, tools, and a wife who is an angel to put up with all the pain and suffering. Not a project to pay someone else to do, unless you are made of money, and not one to do on your daily driver. Fix the known issues- clutch, brakes, and enjoy your 2.0. Its a great motor. Maybe do a stock-ish re-build on that, a better cam will wake it up, have the heads refreshed by Len from Hoffman automotive, and you'll have a crazy fun daily driver.

See my links below for details of the turbo adventure.
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 28 2009, 08:33 PM) *

You need some one that is good and that is honest. The guys here can tell you what is wrong with your car as they know these cars like there are there kids. Even if you do not turn the wrenches it will be great to know what is going on. Some day you may turn a wrench. These cars are great to work on and there are books that show you what to do.

What town do you live in or near? You say Southern Cal.

Bob
welcome.png

I live in Huntington Park; 3 miles south of the 10FWY, and right between the 710 and 110FWYS.
FAT DANNY
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Dec 30 2009, 06:41 AM) *

YES YOU CAN turbo a 914. If you have lots of time, tools, and a wife who is an angel to put up with all the pain and suffering. Not a project to pay someone else to do, unless you are made of money, and not one to do on your daily driver. Fix the known issues- clutch, brakes, and enjoy your 2.0. Its a great motor. Maybe do a stock-ish re-build on that, a better cam will wake it up, have the heads refreshed by Len from Hoffman automotive, and you'll have a crazy fun daily driver.

See my links below for details of the turbo adventure.

Yeah, I've opted to keep it stock because it runs great. I'd like to keep it as a daily-driver. More power would be great, but I can't justify the cost in the near future. Once I get the issues repaired, I'll be a happy fat kid and move on to cosmetics. Thanks for the reply fellas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.