Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Cap Experiences?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Pretty sure Zach said he had one. Zach? Anyway, looking to have a better looking dash without spending huge bucks. American Dash Caps always advertises one on eBay for $77. Anybody use one? Are they noticeably different from a rebuilt one like Camp 914 sells? Ever see one that eliminates the ash tray ? Pretty sure I've seen that option on "real" dash replacements but nor sure if anybody offers it in a cap.
rfuerst911sc
I purchased and installed a Coverlay brand dash cap in May of this year. I thought the fit was perfect the only thing I ended up " fixing " was I had to shim the ash tray mount to move the ash tray down to clear the cover. I don't have any good pictures but between the new dash vinyl/foam and the Coverlay the dash looks great. No it won't get past the concours crowd but I'm not interested in that.
VaccaRabite
Yep, I have one. Come see it first hand, Ken. I am about to hit my Christmas Break (one of the many benefits of working for a university) and intent to spend a lot of quality time in my garage knocking out my winter project list. It does have the ashtray cut out, and I am not sure what I am going to do about that, given that I don't have an ash tray in my car. I am going to have to find something to put there.

Anyway. I got mine from Ebay a few years ago. Until you touch it, you can not tell that it is a cap. But, it does not pass the touch test. it is hard and plastic. I never glued it in, so one day it might rattle or squeak. but given the my entire car rattles and squeaks, I probably would not notice. maybe it is doing so now. Which would be impressive, given as how the car is at home and I am at work. But perhaps the dash cap has a mind of its own, and rattles and squeaks when it thinks no one is looking, much like a pre-teen discovering masturbation.

Happy monday!
Zach
kenshapiro2002
I feel the same way...no need to get past 914 concours guys, but does it look "right" to...I dunno...some harsh critics at an "all car" show that don't know a 914 from a '65 Chevelle?

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 14 2009, 09:21 AM) *

I purchased and installed a Coverlay brand dash cap in May of this year. I thought the fit was perfect the only thing I ended up " fixing " was I had to shim the ash tray mount to move the ash tray down to clear the cover. I don't have any good pictures but between the new dash vinyl/foam and the Coverlay the dash looks great. No it won't get past the concours crowd but I'm not interested in that.

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 14 2009, 06:32 AM) *

I feel the same way...no need to get past 914 concours guys, but does it look "right" to...I dunno...some harsh critics at an "all car" show that don't know a 914 from a '65 Chevelle?

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 14 2009, 09:21 AM) *

In my opinion it does look right but of course that is subjective. There's no doubt it is one of the cheapest ways to correct a cracked dash. I agree that it " feels " like plastic because it is but visually it looks great. Because of brutal Florida sun I may add a carpet topper to protect the new vinyl and the Coverlay.
kenshapiro2002
Thanks guys!
jsayre914
i got one too, but i glued mine, too much fast driving with the top off kinda scared me with the light weight cap waiting to attack. I love it, it also has the ashtray cutout, i have never opend the ashtray yet.
xperu
I installed one on my car until I found an un-cracked one. The only problem I had with it was the upper pad area over the gages was warped downward a little "Kind of common" I had a difficult time making glue stick to the proper contour; I couldn’t tell you if there is more the one manufacture, but there is some price differences between them, mine seemed to be good quality for around $85 + shipping. The cove really it looked pretty good and unless you knew it was a cover you could not tell by looking. It is defiantly a cheaper way to go. Mike
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 14 2009, 09:30 AM) *

It does have the ashtray cut out, and I am not sure what I am going to do about that, given that I don't have an ash tray in my car. I am going to have to find something to put there.

Gauges, perhaps? Some people put gauges in the ash tray slot... it keeps one from having to install a console for extra gauges (I'm in the "no console" camp).
StratPlayer
I got one from porsche palace when they were selling them on ebay. Best dash cap out there, no glue is required. Its held in place buy the A pillars. Had it installed in my car now for 4 yrs still looks a good as new, better fit than the others.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 14 2009, 06:30 AM) *

I got mine from Ebay a few years ago. Until you touch it, you can not tell that it is a cap. But, it does not pass the touch test. it is hard and plastic. I never glued it in, so one day it might rattle or squeak. but given the my entire car rattles and squeaks, I probably would not notice. maybe it is doing so now. Which would be impressive, given as how the car is at home and I am at work. But perhaps the dash cap has a mind of its own, and rattles and squeaks when it thinks no one is looking, much like a pre-teen discovering masturbation.

You need to lay off the coffee ... av-943.gif
Spoke
I never glued it in

Same here. When I picked the car up at the PO's house, he brought the cap out the garage and we just placed it on the dash for the ride home. About a year later I remembered that I never glued it in place. 6 years later and it's still not glued in place and looks ok.
kenshapiro2002

How about an ashtray?

Yep, I have one. Come see it first hand, Ken. I am about to hit my Christmas Break (one of the many benefits of working for a university) and intent to spend a lot of quality time in my garage knocking out my winter project list. It does have the ashtray cut out, and I am not sure what I am going to do about that, given that I don't have an ash tray in my car. I am going to have to find something to put there.

Anyway. I got mine from Ebay a few years ago. Until you touch it, you can not tell that it is a cap. But, it does not pass the touch test. it is hard and plastic. I never glued it in, so one day it might rattle or squeak. but given the my entire car rattles and squeaks, I probably would not notice. maybe it is doing so now. Which would be impressive, given as how the car is at home and I am at work. But perhaps the dash cap has a mind of its own, and rattles and squeaks when it thinks no one is looking, much like a pre-teen discovering masturbation.

Happy monday!
Zach

tod914
The few that I seen looked nice. Unless you really looked hard, you wouldn't notice. Dash cover is another option.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/coverk...cover_start.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.