Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction and a question...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ElCid2000
OK, here goes. I'm Michael from Charleston, SC and I need another project vehicle. I'm considering a 914 because is it a vehicle that my mother has lusted over since 75' or 76'. I can clearly remember us driving up to Spartanburg to look at one that a guy had for sale in his front yard and the look of joy on my moms face when she got back from the test drive. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be he was unwilling to negotiate and she was still in nursing school, my dad was a rookie cop and me being three years old a Porsche just wasn't in the cards.

Since then, my mom has owned MG's a bugeye Sprite and Miatas in a vain attempt to forget that orange 914. Here is where I step in.

I've rebuilt several old series Land Rovers so the rebuilding process isn't totally foreign to me and hey I've got a garage and tools. For this project, I'm considering the pay more up front for a nicer vehicle (5-6k range) and replace / repair what needs it vs. the buy cheep and redo everything option.

Now for my question, is there anyone in the Charleston area (Columbia to Beaufort to Myrtle Beach) that would be willing to let me check out their 914? I'll even buy lunch and beer! I'm looking to start after the turn of the new year and finish up (can you ever really finish working on a car) and give it to her next Christmas.

Thanks for your time,
Michael
tat2dphreak
For this project, I'm considering the pay more up front for a nicer vehicle (5-6k range) and replace / repair what needs it vs. the buy cheep and redo everything option.

welcome.png
smart man. with 914s, buying the best one up front is the best option and will save you quite literally THOUSANDS in hours and parts...

I hope you find someone close(I'm sure you will) and I cannot recommend enough that you get someone who knows the car to help you with a pre-purchase inspection, especcially on the East coast. you might even find it worth your time and money to find a rust-free Cali car and have it shipped. you could likely find it difficult to find a completely rust free car on the east coast for the price of a cali car + shipping.

best of luck, and we will happily be here to help along the way smile.gif

grouperalley
Welcome. i like Dr B. johnson"s THE 914 A RESTORER"S GUIDE TO AUTHENTICTY also if you can treck to Atlanta George at Auto Atlanta has some beautiful 914's in his collection. Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.