Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Dash Face Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
I'm going to eliminate the glove box and the radio. My first thought is to get a flat piece of thin steel (like Porsche used behind the center piece of the dash) that extends from the steering wheel all the way over to the right side where the face ends, and cover that entire piece with the basket weave vinyl. Is that a decent way to execute this? If so, is it correct that it will "sandwich" between the dash top and the knee cap piece, as well as being glued? If so, can i slide it under the dash top or does it need to be removed?

Click to view attachment

Spoke
With the bottom dash removed, these pieces are easily installed using double-sided tape to hold the metal to the dash. Not sure how to attach the metal plate over the radio and glovebox holes.

Why no glovebox? I would assume the radio will go somewhere else or replaced by an iPod.
kenshapiro2002
Might eliminate the glovebox just for "cleanliness". I thought about an iPod, but might just go with no tunes...just the engine sounds. How does the ventilation control unit come out?

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 14 2009, 02:55 PM) *

With the bottom dash removed, these pieces are easily installed using double-sided tape to hold the metal to the dash. Not sure how to attach the metal plate over the radio and glovebox holes.

Why no glovebox? I would assume the radio will go somewhere else or replaced by an iPod.

Jeffs9146
Since you are taking everything out, I would put a sub box up there!!! idea.gif
kenshapiro2002
I might if I knew what that was.

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 14 2009, 03:35 PM) *

Since you are taking everything out, I would put a sub box up there!!! idea.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 14 2009, 12:06 PM) *

How does the ventilation control unit come out?

10mm nut on the backside, slides out the front. Bunch-O-Wires-N-Cables attached to it as well ...
kenshapiro2002
Thanks.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 03:41 PM) *

10mm nut on the backside, slides out the front. Bunch-O-Wires-N-Cables attached to it as well ...

kenshapiro2002
Just decided to leave it..makes life simpler, and I figure I need a place to throw tickets without them blowing away. The glove box itself is in pretty good shape other than a coupla holes in the rear on the bottom...forty years of abrasion I guess. Think I may just rough it up...clean it up, and fiberglass over the outside to reinforce it. Not sure what I'll do on the inside to clean it up...maybe glass over it as well, or "carpet" it with some kinda of felt.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 14 2009, 02:55 PM) *

tat2dphreak
trust me, leave the vent controls, to me they were a PITA to get out, and even worse to get back in smile.gif
kenshapiro2002
They are surrounded by freakin' electrical tape on the face of the dash. I want to replace it with the basket weave vinyl. How do I get the metal piece out to cover it without removing the controls?

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 14 2009, 05:28 PM) *

trust me, leave the vent controls, to me they were a PITA to get out, and even worse to get back in smile.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 14 2009, 02:44 PM) *

How do I get the metal piece out to cover it without removing the controls?

Short answer: You don't ...

You need to loosen the controls (Remember that 10mm nut?) and slide the controls out. You can get it out far enough without removing the cables etc.. as they're a pain in the rectum to put back on there.

The chrome strip is held in by 4 tabs that you have to press down and then carefully pry on the chrome to remove it.

smash.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Gracias...tomorrow's job.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 14 2009, 02:44 PM) *

How do I get the metal piece out to cover it without removing the controls?

Short answer: You don't ...

You need to loosen the controls (Remember that 10mm nut?) and slide the controls out. You can get it out far enough without removing the cables etc.. as they're a pain in the rectum to put back on there.

The chrome strip is held in by 4 tabs that you have to press down and then carefully pry on the chrome to remove it.

smash.gif Andy

kenshapiro2002
Either different on a 1970, mine's missing, or I'm blind. Couldn't find any retaining nut at all. In fact, can't find any way the unit is held in place unless it's merely pressed in there and held in place by the dash itself. The chrome trim strip simply had four horizontal tabs that inserted into corresponding slots in the ventilation unit itself. Anyway...no problem getting it out. Just finished using the angle grinder with a wire wheel to clean up the dash and the metal plates that will get recovered. Out to buy trim adhesive and double sided tape. Damn I'm productive! Retirement rocks!

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 14 2009, 03:41 PM) *

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 15 2009, 10:09 AM) *

Either different on a 1970, mine's missing, or I'm blind. Couldn't find any retaining nut at all. In fact, can't find any way the unit is held in place unless it's merely pressed in there and held in place by the dash itself.

Look harder ... rolleyes.gif

There's a tab on the backside that is bolted to a stud on the front firewall using a 10mm nut. (10mm being the wrench size, not the thread size) ...
smash.gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
I see (said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw)...on the firewall...I was looking all over the dash back for it and just assumed... chair.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 15 2009, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 15 2009, 10:09 AM) *

Either different on a 1970, mine's missing, or I'm blind. Couldn't find any retaining nut at all. In fact, can't find any way the unit is held in place unless it's merely pressed in there and held in place by the dash itself.

Look harder ... rolleyes.gif

There's a tab on the backside that is bolted to a stud on the front firewall using a 10mm nut. (10mm being the wrench size, not the thread size) ...
smash.gif Andy

kenshapiro2002
Finished product. Damn...I do good work!

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Looks good! thumb3d.gif
kenshapiro2002
Much better "live"...can never figure out what camera settings work best for a black interior under fluorescent lights...

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 17 2009, 08:32 PM) *

Looks good! thumb3d.gif

Jeffs9146

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 14 2009, 03:35 PM)

Since you are taking everything out, I would put a sub box up there!!!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have been out of town!

A sub is a Subwoofer for a stereo if you decide to add one!
kenshapiro2002
I'd like to be able to just hook an iPod up...no radio...no CD player. What do I need...just an amplifier?

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 18 2009, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 14 2009, 03:35 PM)

Since you are taking everything out, I would put a sub box up there!!!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have been out of town!

A sub is a Subwoofer for a stereo if you decide to add one!

tat2dphreak
I'd like to be able to just hook an iPod up...no radio...no CD player. What do I need...just an amplifier?

yep, you can do that...
RCA outputs for the ipod to RCA in on the Amp will work.

imo tho, I have a alpine CDA-105 in my DD, I'll buy another for the 914... ipod controls on the dash is much nicer. I hate blaupunkt stuff... there I said it, it sucks.
kenshapiro2002
I didn't want to clutter up the dash...just plug an iPod in somewhere like between the seats...have everything else hidden.
tat2dphreak
it works smile.gif but I hate trying to mess with the little screen while driving
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.