Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS Tires and Wheels. Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
TurboSub
Help!
I just purchased some Fuchs and will be selling the tires and wheels in this picture but I don't know what they are or how much to ask for them?
Help please?
Also, please go to:

http://www.ImageEvent.com/JeffHanning1/74914
for a better look at them.
Thanks,
Jeff
ConeDodger
Jeff,
Those are generally refered to as Western Wheels. They are heavy and frankly not worth much. One nice thing about them is they increase your track by 1/2" so some of the stockish autocrossers like them.

If 2.0 liter Fuchs in unrestored condition are worth $100 each these are probably about $100 -$150 for all four. Those tires will make them prohibitive to ship anywhere as well. You might hang on to them and try trading for something you need at a swap meet this spring.
Tom_T
agree.gif
That's about what I've seen them for at TheSamba.com, etc. too is $100-150 & maybe $200 with all 4 center caps & 16 lugs in good condition.

...& you might have luck posting them at the Samba classifieds, as well here, to hit both the 914/912 4-lug crowd & the VW crowd.

BTW, Porsche is still selling the OEM Fuchs/Mahle/Pedrini lugs, but they're around $17-20+/- each.

Nice Alaska Blue (?) 914 & cute kids! ...mine are both too old to be cute anymore! dry.gif
914Sixer
I could not sell the last set I had. Ended up selling them for scrap aluminum.
ConeDodger
Jeff,
A little history lesson may be in order I heard this from Harvey Weidman who is along with his brother Al, probably the world's leading expert on Porsche wheels. Back in the '70's the dealerships did not have a great "margin" which means the amount that they made on each car sold. For that reason, they would do things to pump that margin. Rust proofing (that worked well dry.gif ), mud flaps, alloy wheels, window tinting, aftermarket radios, etc were all methods that they used to pump their margin. Harvey tells me that the 914's would come in with factory 2 liter Fuchs wheels and they would take them off, put on Western Wheels and upcharge the customer for "alloy wheels". If your car is an appearance group car, you can almost be sure that was the case with yours.

By the way, I love that color and your 914 is in great shape. Cute kids too!
bdstone914
I have a set of Porsche alloy lug nuts if you need them.

The other comments are pretty much right on as to the value of the wheels. I have sold those on ebay too.

I cheap place to get tires removed is Walmart. They charge $3 per wheel. It is $2 more if they have to dispose of the tire. It is the same price if you have them mount the removed tire on another wheel but I would not trust them with a nice set of Fuchs.

Bruce
Wolfgang
I had a set on my '72 914 back in '73. They are also called Dan Gurney wheels from the VW Inch Pincher racing fame. They can be polished to look like chrome plus they are quite strong. I don't recall increased track though - just hard to balance since the lug smooth shank lug nuts let the wheel move slightly. Mine had 4 sheet metal screws holding the center cap on (came that way new). I too glued on the Stuttgart Porsche crests. IMHO They look great on a VW Bug, 411/412 or dune buggy.
TurboSub
Thanks for the all the great info. Just as I suspected. I have nothing of value.
When I bought the restored Fuchs I told my wife I'd be able to sell my old rims and tires for about the same amount. Oops! java script:emoticon(':stooges:',%20'smid_51')
I guess I just won't mention that one.
Well, if anyone wants them, cheap, let me know.

Jeff
559-217-1792
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TurboSub @ Dec 15 2009, 07:25 AM) *

Thanks for the all the great info. Just as I suspected. I have nothing of value.
When I bought the restored Fuchs I told my wife I'd be able to sell my old rims and tires for about the same amount. Oops! java script:emoticon(':stooges:',%20'smid_51')
I guess I just won't mention that one.
Well, if anyone wants them, cheap, let me know.

Jeff
559-217-1792

Seriously Jeff, It isn't that you have nothing of value here. You are just in the wrong market place. VW guys DO like them. go The Samba and put them in the classifieds. Start at $200 OBO.

Frankly, I think factory steel wheels are more desirable to 914 guys. Just like you, those wheels are what we are trying to get rid of.
carr914
I also like to ship wheels with tires on them. you can put together with the faces together with a piece of cardboard in the middle and Duct tape them together. Then ship them Greyhound.

T.C.
sixnotfour
the guy that started em
http://www.jackmcafee.com/7.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.