Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glove Box Rebuilding Suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
It was in good shape other than two holes in the rear lower corners where "stuff", i guessed, rubbed their way through after 40 years of moving around. My solution there was to apply duct tape to the inside, and fill the holes from the outside with a concoction of shredded cardboard (used a surform tool) mixed with carpenter's glue.

Here's where I want your ideas...what can I apply to the inside to cover the repairs, and restore a decent appearance. Paint? upholster with felt or something? Some kinda spray on flocking?
MDG
Not sure how well the spray-on flocking would adhere to what's already on there. Perlon may work - might be too thick. A lot of hobby and craft stores carry that mouse hair stuff that's similar to what they line the glove boxes with. Spray glue and some (a lot) of patience and it might work.

mike
kenshapiro2002
What's Perlon?

QUOTE(MDG @ Dec 16 2009, 09:44 AM) *

Not sure how well the spray-on flocking would adhere to what's already on there. Perlon may work - might be too thick. A lot of hobby and craft stores carry that mouse hair stuff that's similar to what they line the glove boxes with. Spray glue and some (a lot) of patience and it might work.

mike

MDG
the fuzzy stuff on the inside of the roof; the trunk tire board is covered in it too
Gint
Oooowww.... a flocking thread. Giddyup!

Pretty good question actually. Looking forward to seeing the responses.
jaxdream
I'd say a glued on felt linning wouldn't be too bad looking , if you want to go through the trouble of aquiring a very good box , wax it up with mold release wax , get some fiberglass supplies , mock up a mother mold , then make a mold from the mother mold , put them up for sale . Might be able to recoupe the costs fo the materials involved , or just do it for yourself. Fiberglass is not that hard to work with , just ichy!! My $.02.......

Jaxdream
r_towle
I would go with Flock.

Go to a hobby store that sells alot of trains...they have it cheap and by the bag. Use elmers glue, paint the inside with the glue and pour the flock in there. Shake it around to it covers all the glue.
It will be flocking awesome.

RIch
kenshapiro2002
Thanks...hope you get flocked tonight. Happy Chriskwanznukah.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 16 2009, 11:59 AM) *

I would go with Flock.

Go to a hobby store that sells alot of trains...they have it cheap and by the bag. Use elmers glue, paint the inside with the glue and pour the flock in there. Shake it around to it covers all the glue.
It will be flocking awesome.

RIch

kenshapiro2002
AA sells them for a mere $150.00 Guess I could make back the materials money! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Dec 16 2009, 11:38 AM) *

I'd say a glued on felt linning wouldn't be too bad looking , if you want to go through the trouble of aquiring a very good box , wax it up with mold release wax , get some fiberglass supplies , mock up a mother mold , then make a mold from the mother mold , put them up for sale . Might be able to recoupe the costs fo the materials involved , or just do it for yourself. Fiberglass is not that hard to work with , just ichy!! My $.02.......

Jaxdream

bandjoey
How about a good condition box for $20 and shipping?
Katmanken
Flock!

To do a good flocking job, ya need the flocking gun to put down the flocking stuff...

Seriously, a bag and flock is ugly with flock glued down haphazardly.... think fiberglass mat appearance and feel...

Now a flocking gun sprays the flock out in an airstream and the little flockers actually line up in the airflow and land end first in the sticky paint... think soft fuzzy petable flocking....

Get the flocking gun! ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
kenshapiro2002
Thanks, but I'm actually enjoying this mini project.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 16 2009, 01:45 PM) *

How about a good condition box for $20 and shipping?

kenshapiro2002
Washed up the inside real well...let it dry, and sprayed it with flat black Krylon. It looks great!
zymurgist
QUOTE(kwales @ Dec 16 2009, 02:17 PM) *

Now a flocking gun sprays the flock out in an airstream and the little flockers actually line up in the airflow and land end first in the sticky paint... think soft fuzzy petable flocking....

Get the flocking gun! ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Doesn't that tool work using static electricity to make the little flockers stand up straight?
watsonrx13
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 04:17 PM) *

Washed up the inside real well...let it dry, and sprayed it with flat black Krylon. It looks great!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
kenshapiro2002
I'll try but doubt it will look right.

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 04:17 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

kenshapiro2002
Click to view attachment
burton73
When you flock you should use paint in the same color as the flock that you are using. Slow dry enamel is best and it works better with a flock gun or as Kwales has said the job will not come out great. We did this in production at my factory for the bottom of paperweights over the years.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.