Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodyear Bluestreaks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Eric_Shea
I'm bumping up against an issue with ordering some Goodyear Bluestreaks for my GT car and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them on a factory steel flared car with stock 8x15's in the rear.

My current set up from the hub out is as follows:

* 5mm under-rotor spacer for the GT calipers on a 911 rotor.
* Stock 20mm rotor
* Stock 8x15
* BFG 215/60/15 (these just came with the wheels but, with a 9.5" section width, they are very close to the flares.)

Of Note:

There is no engine or tranny in the car.

I was looking a 6.00 x 15 for the rear and 5.50 x 15 for the front. The only problem I'm seeing is, the 6.00 x 15 is showing a 10.6" section width on an 8" wheel and it "really" doesn't look like my factory flares will accept this UNLESS I'll get some significant camber out of the arms when the engine and tranny are in.

I spoke to Bruce Canepa today and he was kind enough to run out to the Luftwaffe (Lufthansa) car to report back that it is sitting on 6.00 x 15's all the way around! Stock rims and stock flares.

In speaking with Jeff today I was almost ready to pull the trigger on four of the 5.50 x 15's with the 9.3" section width when I heard this.

I'm sending my wheels off to Harvey and I wanted to have rubber waiting for them when they return.

Has anyone ever run Bluestreaks on a GT body with stock wheels? confused24.gif
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ...with all the complexities of wheel and tire fitment, flare clearances, possable ride height adjustment, camber settings, etc.....It,s been my experience that fitting the wheels and tires...you eventually... and possability perminately will use is one of the very last things to do in finishing a car.,( Unless you build it to use a specific rim size and tire size and install or finish the flares accordingly.) You can use some existing wheels and tires,of size " X " (or borrow some from a buddy) , to get the basic alignment , fitment, and clearance data. This will give you enough imformation to know if a 5.50, or 6.00 tire (your example) or any other possable choises will clear the fenderwells. prematurely purchasing a specific tire/size could be a costly mistake. popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
This has 6.00's all around. It's about all I have to go off:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/112669677

It's just that my experience with 914's has taught me that each one can be quite different.

More 6.00's in the rear:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/28506755/original
ME733
popcorn[1].gif ....."each 914 can be quite different" is a resonable statement. I have seen rear fenders as much as 1/2 '' different. (but that was the biggest variation...so far.) That is why I sugested fitting, /selecting the tire size as the last thing to do. Rather than be a follower, reguarding what others have done, Tire size wise ( unless your car is going into a museum ) you should look into HOOZIERS, tires before making a final decision. They have always worked very well on every car I used them on. They are cost effective, have better "durometer "readings than most other tires (softer) and give good service if taken care of. They may have a slightly shorter (smaller diamenter ) tire with the same 6.00 on the side, and various compounds to select from.....food for thought. popcorn[1].gif murray
Eric_Shea
Wish me luck...

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Looks like it barely makes it... 1/4" of clearance on the outside and plenty inside (1 1/2"). I have 5mm spacers under the rotor as well. I could take those out and space the calipers back by 5mm if need be.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
WOW Nice !!!
6freak
No kidding ..very cool
mepstein
Eric - Before you spend money on tires, can you ask around and find someone with a worn out bluestreak so you can play around with spacing? You've been a big help to so many on the board, I'm sure someone would like to return the favor.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Mark, I done bought'em already. You're looking at the result.

This is what we were talking about with the 8x15 offset. It's just about perfect for a GT flared car. Those have a 10.5" standard width.

If I yank that spacer I'll have a tad over an 1" on the backside and "almost" a 1/2" on the outside. That is... unless the camber needs to be set and, from the rear it looked like there was a smidge of negative in there.

Relieved.
sixnotfour
rubbins racin aint it ?
ME733
......I,m glad it worked out for you. beautiful rims, really nice flares, fat tires,....it doesn't get much better than that. But still think about Hoosier tires as a future possibility. They are BIAS ply and work very well with cars with lots of negative camber, and sometimes you can(sort thru and find) slightly different diamenters which will enable you to "tweek" your gearing slightly.MM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.