Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need new rubber, but whichs one will fit.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Smitty911
Ok, 74 2.0 liter street driven, Currently my son is using it.

It needs new tires, The ones on it are 195/60-15

Eagle GT
Yokogawa
Kumo (sp)
Etc.

Finders not rolled so they would have to fit in stock body.

SoCal so rain not a real issue. I'd like something that will last but not take away from the handling or braking.

Thanks.

Smitty
914Sixer
Consider going with a taller tire 195/65-15.
detoxcowboy
I have same (74 2.0) and am a So. Cal. ect. I went with 205/60/15 Eagle GT. They are sweet and they supposedly will last 55,000.00 and tested best for wet and dry traction in the ultra high performance all season ect. track and road.. 205/60's work on stock fenders all the way around and still maintain a stock appearnce and your getting more tire on the ground at a touch lower profile. looks good. i have tried 50's but they look small and more like hot wheels than stock 914.

Here is a link to tires any of the top four
don't just go by the ratings of consumers check the road and track tests and even then must check in the vaious performance
charts and you will find what your looking for in a tire.
Sometimes a tire gets a better ranking because it is extra smooth and quite but has terrible wet traction, and long distance braking , but excellent dry cornering.

So you have to read the spider/bar charts ect. ect... test charts to find your tire.

Having good wet traction is not a bad idea even in So. Cal. it does rain and that is when you need your car tight not just playing around on a mid summer day when everyone has traction. my opinion..

personally i can't see road noise or comfort being a huge 914 desire or even really stopable so I went with traction over silence and smoothness..

bf goodrich g force
bridgestone "pole position"
eagle gt
516randy
I have 205/60/R15 on mine. Very happy
davesprinkle
195 width tires seem to work for almost every car. 205 width tires seem to work on MOST cars, but some report fender contact on one side or the other. Keep in mind that fender contact will be affected by wheel backspacing.
jmill
What rims do you have? I could go 205's on fuchs but not on the riv's. Like Dave said. It all depends on the backspacing.
flipb
Hmmm... has anyone gone over 195 on Mahles? Any clearance issues?
markb
I have Mahles on my car. I had 205x60x15 Dunlop A2's on there & loved them. I changed to 195x65x15 Michelin's & really don't like them. I'm going back to 205x60x15's & try the Goodyear's.
SGB
And for one more variation on a theme:
I just put Brigstone Potenza 906A (or some equally obscure number) from Tire Rack for about $70 apiece, 195/60-15 in front and 205/60-15 in back. I wanted to go 215/60 or even 225/55 in back, but I was afraid it wouldn't fit- and the wheel is really too narrow to go much beyond 205...
etcmss
its nice to know how your tires are doing but some of us would really like to know what rims these are on. I tried the 195 on my Riverias and no fender clearance.
If you could be specific some of us would appreciate it for future use.
Rand
When I read your subject line, I was going to say that I have to go with Trojan Magnums. But I digress.
laugh.gif
jhadler
A lot has to do with the wheels.

Fuchs will generally allow for as much as a 205/60-15. But not all cars are identical. Some cars may not even allow for 205's on Fuchs...Other wheels tend not to allow for wider tire fitment, 195's might be the limit.

-Josh2
Smitty911
Sorry about that, I believe them to be FAKE FUCH, now that has got to help the rubber selection. lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.