Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem wiith eBay high torque starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
I know there has been a lot of interest in the e-Bay high torque starters, and I wanted to relate my experience with one.
I purchased a high torque mini starter described as “PORSCHE 911 MINI STARTER ALSO 912 / 914 / 930” on eBay in November 2007 and installed it in my 1974 914 in April 2008. The seller, Sam DeSantos, does business as Hi Performance of America, LLC.

http://stores.ebay.com/HI-PERFORMANCE-OF-AMERICA

I put about 3,000 miles on the car since installing the starter but recently it would work fine when the car was cold, but would do nothing, not even a click, when the car warmed up and was parked for a short time. I contacted the seller a few months ago and he couldn’t do anything for me because it was outside the 1-year warranty period. I was expecting to get a lot more than 3,000 miles out of it, and I was disappointed because I really liked how the starter made it easier to start the engine compared to the stock unit, and also that it weighs much less than the standard starter.

Rather than purchase a replacement starter I decided to have the Hi Performance of America one repaired. The repair guy told me that the housing on the solenoid needed to be replaced and they showed me where the main electrical contacts were loose and burned from arcing. Also the case was worn allowing the solenoid to rock back and forth and hang up. The starter unit was made up of a used Toyota starter and Nissan solenoid paired with a new gear set and bracket. If the used components had been rebuilt, it was not very well done. Still, I would not rule out purchasing one of these units. The initial cost is low, and they offer a lot of benefits over the stock unit. I only wish someone had suggested I have a reputable rebuilder check it out and repair what needed attention before installing it.

By the way if you ever need a starter or alternator repaired, I highly recommend AutoLectics in Campbell, CA http://www.autolectrics.com/

ConeDodger
I have one. Sam replaced it after a while for some reason I don't recall. I have been using the other one since. It works fine for me...
Krieger
I was looking at getting one of these. They now sell it with a spacer to go between the starter and the tranny. You may want to inspect the teeth on the flywheel if you don't have a spacer or shims. The starter gear can grind into the flywheel.
URY914
How much did the fix cost?
orange914
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 17 2009, 08:12 AM) *

I was looking at getting one of these. They now sell it with a spacer to go between the starter and the tranny. You may want to inspect the teeth on the flywheel if you don't have a spacer or shims. The starter gear can grind into the flywheel.

thats the biggest issue i've seen others complain about. i pattern checked mine first and had to shim it .040. it seems to work good with no issues, but i think now that the 2056 is broken in i'll have the original rebuilt and swap back.

mike
rfuerst911sc
If you get one that fits correctly they seem to last a long time. I purchased one from Pelican a few years ago for my 911SC. Fit with no shims and has performed flawlessly with zero issues. For my GT clone with a 3.0 I decided to go with a Porsche OEM hi-torque starter. It's a Bosch SR68X and I think these are considered 1.2 hp starters. It fits perfect but I have yet to turn the key dry.gif . But I'll know soon how well it works biggrin.gif .
SirAndy
I got my High Torque starter 6 or 7 years ago from Performance Products.

No shimming needed, all brand new components. It has been on various motors since then with many, many miles and so far no sign of wear or trouble.

I don't think the ones sold on eBay these days are the same as the ones that were sold a few years back.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
hydroliftin
To answer a number of posts.....

1) If conedoger got one replaced by Sam, I did not get the same offer.

2) The teeth on the starter looked good, no grinding or issues with the fly wheel. I was aware of the flywheel issue but was not expecting the solenoid problem based on others experience. I wanted to give others a heads up in case they may buy one of these.

3) AutoLectric charged $30 to fix it.

4) I suspect the ones from Pelican or Performance Products may be better quality or may use new parts. The one I got on eBay cost maybe $110 delivered. The ones from Pelican of PP cost more, so I guess you get what you pay for.
SLITS
As posted before, there are about 3 people (I know of) that take the Jap (Nippondenso or Hitachi) starters and modify them for use on other vehicles. They are nothing but a gear reduction starter with a new nose.

The best one on the block was made by R&B Performance out of Parker, AZ. It didn't sell for $109 or $119. His was $140 wholesale and generally about $160 out the door. Fully rebuilt with a new solenoid. He changed the name and I don't remember what it is now.

The others, IMI and whatever the one you bought was called, were problematic at times, and from what I have seen, didn't do a thorough job.
Dr Evil
There are also at least 2 flavors that have been on ebay and one sucked out loud while the other, the one I have, was great. Things change, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.