Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bedliner Spray To Restore Targa Top?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
If anybody has any shots of using this stuff to restore the finish to your targa top, I'd like to see them. My lid is body color (Mack truck green) and I think I'd like to go back to the textured original type finish.
zymurgist
I would buy another top and experiment with it. That way, if you don't like the result, you still have the matching top.
kenshapiro2002
Thought of that but they're pricey.

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 17 2009, 04:25 PM) *

I would buy another top and experiment with it. That way, if you don't like the result, you still have the matching top.

ConeDodger
It is just an additive to the paint called body schutz. Get it at body shop supply stores.
kenshapiro2002
Gotcha...thanks

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 17 2009, 04:32 PM) *

It is just an additive to the paint called body schutz. Get it at body shop supply stores.

pete-stevers
you should be able to pick a spare for less then 100 bucks
i bought mine for forty
and keep the color coded one that has tons of hours into making it straight
and with that mentality you will end up with tons of spare shit...ask me how i know blink.gif
P.Rocket
I got rid of my old cracked sail-panel vinyl, cleaned up the steel and gave it a very light dusting in a few coats of bed-liner spray. Looks perfect and it's very hard to tell it's not vinyl. I think with the right amount of application your top will look good. Find an old chunk of fibre-glass and practice on it till you get the right look.
I will have a look and see if I have some pictures of my sail-panels and post them later.
Cheers.
craig downs
I took my top to Line-X and had them spray it after I prep it. I asked them to just spray 1/2 the amount they normally do because all I was after was just the texture as a full coat is pretty thick. Since it tends to fade I had them spray a clear coat on that will keep it from fading. I was surprised how inexpensive it was as it only cost $40.00 with the clear coat. He said a full coat would have been around $90.00. It turned out pretty good and when I go out to car meets it gets a lot of good comments. I'll post a pic a bit later
kenshapiro2002
Looking forward to seeing it.

QUOTE(craig downs @ Dec 17 2009, 09:56 PM) *

I took my top to Line-X and had them spray it after I prep it. I asked them to just spray 1/2 the amount they normally do because all I was after was just the texture as a full coat is pretty thick. Since it tends to fade I had them spray a clear coat on that will keep it from fading. I was surprised how inexpensive it was as it only cost $40.00 with the clear coat. He said a full coat would have been around $90.00. It turned out pretty good and when I go out to car meets it gets a lot of good comments. I'll post a pic a bit later

Eric_Shea
I hear banjo's playing... huh.gif
Spoke
I would think to experiment with a finish you could use a piece of steel or something smooth. You're just looking for a finish and color.

I've used Rustoleum's Hammered paint. It gives the bumpy look and comes out with a nice gloss. You can overshoot it with a satin paint if you want something not quite so shiny.
craig downs
I found some before
Click to view attachment

after prep
Click to view attachment

This is the best I have. I can take a close up tomorrow if you like
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(craig downs @ Dec 17 2009, 07:55 PM) *

I found some before
Click to view attachment

after prep
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

A bit too shiny for me Craig. Can they tone it down a little? Is the finish pebble like or sharp?
Elliot Cannon
Take the top off and leave it off. OOps I see you're in Ballimore. Never mind.
P.Rocket
Crappy camera phone pic but they look good without the moisture getting under the vinyl.

If you want to tone the shine down on your roof, just make sure they add some mat-agent to the clear coat and it should mellow it out.

I also agree that that roof should spend most of it's life in the trunk.
stephenaki
QUOTE(craig downs @ Dec 17 2009, 07:55 PM) *

I found some before
Click to view attachment

after prep
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

OK, on the prep part, light sanding? I actually have a 'line-x' style top and want to eventually clean it up and paint it the same color as the rest of the car when I do the complete resto. Just not sure how to get the crap off! I have seen pictures of cars wtih matching tops, best way to prep?
kenshapiro2002
Just woke up. It's 25ยบ

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 18 2009, 12:00 AM) *

Take the top off and leave it off. OOps I see you're in Ballimore. Never mind.

kenshapiro2002
Love the purple vinyl on the green car...my two favorite colors.

QUOTE(P.Rocket @ Dec 18 2009, 03:45 AM) *

Crappy camera phone pic but they look good without the moisture getting under the vinyl.

If you want to tone the shine down on your roof, just make sure they add some mat-agent to the clear coat and it should mellow it out.

I also agree that that roof should spend most of it's life in the trunk.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.