Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: under seat amp?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
astronomerdave
Has anyone mounted an audio amplifier under the seat? If so, which unit(s) fit(s)? I'm intending to drive the pair of 6.5'' 90W Blaupunkt speakers from 914ap, and the source is the headphone out jack of a pc.

tnx,
Mike Bellis
You would get better cooling if you mount it on the firewall behind the passenger seat. It would have to be a very small amp if you mount under the seat.
Spoke
The amp in my 911 is under the seat but there is a lot of room there. I don't think there is much room under the 914 seat.
ConeDodger
Got an appearance group console? Mine is installed inside the console behind the gauges.
914werke
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 17 2009, 08:00 PM) *

Got an appearance group console? Mine is installed inside the console behind the gauges.

Like this:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
underthetire
Don't think an aftermarket amp would fit to well, but if you get a infinity amp out of a 99-04 grand cherokee, think that would fit. Could measure it if you want. Lots of them in junk yards right now from cash for clunkers. Wiring diagram is on line, and I can tell you it works well with the stock 5 1/4, and 6X9 with the dash tweeters. It sits under the back seat. 2 minutes to pull one out.
detoxcowboy
I had 2 proton amps (heavy duty old school stuff) 1 under each seat awhile back. They were 2 1/4 inch high amps, what you can do to get the clearance is mount your seat on 3/4 inch wood runners between the actual seats and seat rails. This raises your seat perfect height for seat use with amp under and seat fits pefectly into the backpad modling.. Worked out great but there is the issue with if your car leaks in the car wash or rain water likes to puddle in the rear seat corners coming either from your rear window install or targa seals at the corners.. Also if your not wanting to do that there is a thin line and a pc line from blaupunkt that are under 2 inches high and would fit that local (the thin series is not in production but very cheap now on ebay), other bitch was run all the wires from your head unit to your amps then back out to your speakers without them being noticed, you can run your power form batt. behing the backpad ect.. Don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do with the audio in the 914, but to keep it undectable and moutable takes some work and creativity like the guy with the amp in his center console (nice by the way) also heard of someone putting an amp under the dash to the left of the glove box, also you can make your own passenger foot board and hide there. I currently run to mcintosh monsters on the front fire wall of the gas tank and run everything under the gas tank and out the various factory locations to where they need to go.. and power comes right down the center tunnel and out behind the pass side foot board.

do your home work before you buy or start tearing your car apart..
if i remember some of my home work this amp link to blaupunkt will fit with no alterations under your seat because it is low and short on width and depth.... the problem area in under the seat is the very rear portion when rocked back and this amp just fits in out the that tighter area..last 1 1/2 inch or so.. I think its an ugly amp but 2x75watt is plenty for a 914.. currently i am running 6 x 100 and can't/don't want to ever use it all while sober.. drunk.gif

http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7607792129_main.asp
PRS914-6
I tucked a thin amp under my drivers seat to work with my iPod. They are GTS Classics seats not OEM though. Here is the rough layout before it was finished

Click to view attachment
oldschool
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:48 PM) *

I tucked a thin amp under my drivers seat to work with my iPod. They are GTS Classics seats not OEM though. Here is the rough layout before it was finished

Click to view attachment

I have a dumb question, my stereo turn off any time a song or the volume is set to high? confused24.gif
pillay2k
Could always do something like this:
Looks standard:
IPB Image
But isn't:
There is a 5 Channel Harmon Kardon amp + 4 component crossovers + led lighting under there, loss of space minimal. I am 6'1 and still feels plently roomy. Pretty stong too, wood build with 8mm acrylic sheet + vinyl covered top board.
IPB Image

IPB Image
johnnie5
Front trunk.
dlo914
Make sure your window seals are in good condition or it's gonna be a shocking listening experience or one hot seat.
computers4kids
They make amps for motorcycles with plenty of push that are very small and will fit several places on a 914.
tat2dphreak
pillay, I think my friends would literally KILL me if I took any more room out of the passenger side... one friend is 6'4 and has no room as it is... smile.gif

front trunk, or rear firewall(behind a seat, low) would work better than under the seat.
rjames
QUOTE(pillay2k @ Dec 18 2009, 04:31 AM) *

Could always do something like this:
Looks standard:
IPB Image
But isn't:
There is a 5 Channel Harmon Kardon amp + 4 component crossovers + led lighting under there, loss of space minimal. I am 6'1 and still feels plently roomy. Pretty stong too, wood build with 8mm acrylic sheet + vinyl covered top board.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Doesn't a set up like that require some venting for the amps? I would think they would generate a decent amount of heat and having them covered up by carpet wouldn't allow the heat to dissipate. confused24.gif
rjames
I have a dumb question, my stereo turn off any time a song or the volume is set to high?

Before I took my stereo out it would do the same thing. In my case I think the electrical system needs a once over. Not enough juice getting to the stereo when the electrical system is under load (like when the lights are on, etc.)
pillay2k
QUOTE(rjames @ Dec 18 2009, 05:32 PM) *

Doesn't a set up like that require some venting for the amps? I would think they would generate a decent amount of heat and having them covered up by carpet wouldn't allow the heat to dissipate. confused24.gif

Well spotted!
I have it venting under the seat in the gap between cross member and acrylic panel, was thinking of adding some 12v CPU fans if the temps do get a bit high. I'll add some temp strips and will report back in the new year with my findings! smile.gif
iamchappy
I have one of the amps in the center console and another nice size amp
under the head unit under the dash...
Drums66
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Dec 18 2009, 06:34 AM) *

Make sure your window seals are in good condition or it's gonna be a shocking listening experience or one hot seat.

That's what I was Thinking!!.....But if you keep your car inside when it rains
do it to it idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

tat2dphreak
I have one of the amps in the center console and another nice size amp
under the head unit under the dash...

damn, you beat me to it... this was my idea exactly... I was probably going to mount a free-air, or solobaric enclosure sub this way tho, not the amp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.