Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whattaya Think Of "D" Steering Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Anybody here using one? I'm thinking of buying a new wheel and there isn't much room under the wheel for the legs when getting in or out. Smaller diameter wheel? "D" shape?
Elliot Cannon
Get a smaller diameter wheel or a removable one or both.
neil30076
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:28 PM) *

Anybody here using one? I'm thinking of buying a new wheel and there isn't much room under the wheel for the legs when getting in or out. Smaller diameter wheel? "D" shape?

Lower seat or loose weight also works lol-2.gif
kenshapiro2002
My stock one is removable but I can't see carrying a socket wrench around lol-2.gif
effutuo101
I had one in my silver car. I loved it! way better then the one I have now. Ease of ingress/egress and so on. My next steering wheel will have the quick release.
kenshapiro2002
I'd lower it but this 1970 technology has you leaning forward if you lower it. 5'11" and 165 doesn't allow me too much weight loss room. Going boarding tomorrow...maybe I'll break them off.

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Dec 17 2009, 08:38 PM) *

Lower seat or loose weight also works lol-2.gif

kenshapiro2002
Had one what? A "D"...a quick release? What make and model wheel did you love?

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Dec 17 2009, 08:41 PM) *

I had one in my silver car. I loved it! way better then the one I have now. Ease of ingress/egress and so on. My next steering wheel will have the quick release.

sixnotfour
offset adapter
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/steering.htm
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 17 2009, 05:38 PM) *

Get a smaller diameter wheel or a removable one or both.

Only slightly off topic, Elliot's yellow car has the easiest ingress of any fully caged car I have seen. The side bar detaches and pivots to allow an almost normal entry to the car. Much better than climbing in over the cage like a contortionist.

I suggest a quick release attachment for the steering. Perhaps McMark can design one that works and looks stock. An Original Custom biggrin.gif
neil30076
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:41 PM) *

I'd lower it but this 1970 technology has you leaning forward if you lower it. 5'11" and 165 doesn't allow me too much weight loss room. Going boarding tomorrow...maybe I'll break them off.

Ken, I'm 6' and 168 ( and 63!) and i don't have a problem - I jump over the door, slide down and i'm ready to go biggrin.gif
kenshapiro2002
Loss of thigh muscle at your advanced age. piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 05:41 PM) *

Ken, I'm 6' and 168 ( and 63!) and i don't have a problem - I jump over the door, slide down and i'm ready to go biggrin.gif

bandjoey
You can get removable ones at Cracker Barrell. laugh.gif
neil30076
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 06:19 PM) *

Loss of thigh muscle at your advanced age. piratenanner.gif

Very f****g funny - I'm turning my attention to the 928 i picked up today - at least on those BB's I get some respect lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
I had a D wheel in my 911 and loved the extra leg room. My 914 seems to have more leg room than the 911. I did buy a Sparco quick release, cut the mounting hub off the back of a 911 steering wheel and mounted it in the 914. So I have a Porsche quick release wheel now.
kenshapiro2002
THAT was funny! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 17 2009, 09:19 PM) *

jt914-6
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:09 PM) *

THAT was funny! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 17 2009, 09:19 PM) *

So is the story behind the pic..... lol-2.gif
tat2dphreak
I actually want a "D" wheel for mine too, man...
pcar916
I've done "D" wheels and they weren't comfortable to shuffle-steer, if that's your style.

I've tried those Cracker Barrel wheels and those things work great. Unless your "friends" pinch 'em... a lot. Who knew Momo and Smart Racing had southern US distribution channels. piratenanner.gif

jt914-6
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Dec 18 2009, 04:45 PM) *

I've done "D" wheels and they weren't comfortable to shuffle-steer, if that's your style.

I've tried those Cracker Barrel wheels and those things work great. Unless your "friends" pinch 'em... a lot. Who knew Momo and Smart Racing had southern US distribution channels. piratenanner.gif

You're the sole distributor to Cracker Barrel aren't you Ron?..... beerchug.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 17 2009, 06:19 PM) *

Crumble's in your lap not in your hands!! bye1.gif
6freak

You ask..there Gay look`n ,,,,unless your in an F-1 car
kenshapiro2002
Bigotry rocks. chair.gif

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 18 2009, 10:02 PM) *

tat2dphreak
evidently if you don't have a "D" wheel you don't know the difference between "there" and "they're"

and if they make you gay, there's nothing wrong with that, Ken smile.gif

kenshapiro2002
First off...it was 6freak was the one who made the disparaging remark about the wheel being "gay". I'm one of those super liberal east coast left wing dems who loves folks of all persuasions. I was being sarcastic when I congratulated him on his bigotry.

He also doesn't know "your" from "you're". chair.gif

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 18 2009, 11:41 PM) *

evidently if you don't have a "D" wheel you don't know the difference between "there" and "they're"

tat2dphreak
I know who said what, ken, and I'm one of those liberal hippies too smile.gif I just don't have to quote in each reply tongue.gif
kenshapiro2002
Which is why folks can't tell who you're slamming! lol-2.gif aktion035.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 19 2009, 12:09 PM) *

I know who said what, ken, and I'm one of those liberal hippies too smile.gif I just don't have to quote in each reply tongue.gif

6freak
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 18 2009, 08:41 PM) *

I meant happy rolleyes.gif ..lol...I always get spelling wrong ...there they`er ,were where, wear, ware, whole ,hole, witch, which, too ,to, two, and my Brother chews my ass about it all the time ...I just plan suck at spelling I think it because i dont take the time to stop and think about it...and just to clear up the muddy waters I was not calling anyone gay santa_smiley.gif
sixnotfour
Youre title does ask "whatta you think ?"
Another way would be ;
"Anyone ever use a d shaped wheel ?"

my reply would be ; I dont think it will roll very well.
Mike Bellis
Just don't use a Grant GT wheel. They are very flimsy and bend back and forth when you pull on them.
Drums66
QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 19 2009, 11:04 AM) *

I meant happy rolleyes.gif ..lol...I always get spelling wrong ...there they`er ,were where, wear, ware, whole ,hole, witch, which, too ,to, two, and my Brother chews my ass about it all the time ...I just plan suck at spelling I think it because i dont take the time to stop and think about it...and just to clear up the muddy waters I was not calling anyone gay santa_smiley.gif

Oh!.......one of the bi-words goes both ways idea.gif stirthepot.gif
kenshapiro2002
No need to make fun of Gay folks here. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 19 2009, 02:04 PM) *

6freak
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Dec 18 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Bigotry rocks. chair.gif

QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 18 2009, 10:02 PM) *

What`s bigotry anyway??
scotty b
D wheel should be replaced, it will make your car ride rough and will wear out that tire extremely fast. Now if on the other hand you have a D tire....just put some air in it, it should be fine then. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.