Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Mini
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
GF is looking at a 2002 Cooper S with 140k freeway on it. How many miles do these usually run?
VaccaRabite
140K? Keep looking, its about done.

Zach
dlo914
Look for one with around 70k miles if it's an 02. Hmm imma go wikipedia the mini and see what the slight differences are over the years.
wayne1234
I HAD a 02 cooper, make sure you spend some time behind the wheel, they are quirky.... It was one of the only toy cars in which I did not have drop springs on or lowered because it rides so rough.. the leatherette seats were never very comfortable. oh and the hood release is on the passenger side of the car. and check for Rust and leaks ours leaked at the double sunroof drains, in the front of the sunroof there are metal tubes in the drainpan for the roof that exit toward the front of the car, that are connected to another drain tube going down the A pillar that rubber connection came apart somehow??? and the dealer chased the leak several times. I ended up finding it.... The rust at bottom of doors due to blocked drain holes.. and Take off the weather striping that goes around the door opening attached to the body,,, that is a pinch weld seam and was rusting!!! in what I would call the sill area... the car was a 2002,,, we bough it in 2004 with 18,000 miles and sold it in 2009 with around 60,000 miles, It was never driven in the winter so no salt.. and was in the garage most of the time.... it was driven in the rain... and make sure it has had the computer updates we had several rough idle issues (and I mean rough) but they did get it corrected with computer updates... I would hope by now the owner has had them done, but check anyways, dealer should be able to tell you by the VIN... If you do your own oil changes you only replace the inner element, and it is kinda a pain and you have to have a special wrench which you can get on ebay, and you need to get the fleece filter from dealer or online place that sells the OEM.. only other thing I had to do was replace the battery, and thermostat because we kept getting a code from the computer saying that it had taken too long to come up to operating temp, replaced the thermostat and it cured it... and it was easy... they are fun but it does ride like a gocart, make sure you spend at least 20 -30 minutes on a freeway.
wobbletop
Wife has 04 cooper S.

Check for head gasket leaking and oil pan leaking. Fairly common on these cars I believe. My wifes car has both. 140K km (Canada) on the car.

-Walter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.