Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD Box location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
I need some help determining a good location to mount an MSD box in my Six conversion. I have heard some good ideas...I would love to see some pictures if you have any.
carr914
Before I switched this car to the Electromotive system, My MSD Box was in the same place.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
bcheney
Did the Targa top still fit under the rear trunk lid?
carr914
Here is another one of my old 914-6s. The PO mounted the MSD box. I would have been wary of the MSD getting wet, but I never drove the car in the rain.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Dec 18 2009, 08:11 AM) *

Did the Targa top still fit under the rear trunk lid?

Yes, but this car had a full cage and it was a pain in the ass to get fingers to the rear latches, so it very rarely came off.

T.C.
bcheney
That's a good spot since the battery has been relocated. My battery is in the stock location.
johnnie5
Rear trunk.
IronHillRestorations
Will they fit in the same location as the stock 914-6 CD box? It's as good a place as any.
iamchappy
Mines on the firewall.
bcheney
I to have seen it mounted in the stock 6 location on the side of the battery tray. I have been told you need to keep it 6-8 inches away from a 12 volt source per MSD. Damn, I wish this was easy...
jt914-6
I put my MSD 6AL, tach adaptor, and adjustable timing control boxes behind the seats. Mainly for heat and to unclutter the engine compartment. The only thing in the engine compartment is the coil....

Click to view attachment
wobbletop
PO put it here and I've had no problems with it. I've since changed it to a MSD6AL and used the same location. Seems like a well sealed unit.

Click to view attachment

Edit: I just went through my install manual and there is no mention of a minimum distance to battery.
SirAndy
If you still have the stock battery tray ...

I made a mounting plate that bolted to the stock FI brain bracket. That put the MSD box in the same spot as the stock FI brain.

Simple, out of the way and no holes to drill ...
shades.gif Andy
MDG
+1 on Andy's method. Took out the Bosch, fabbed up a bracket, put in the MSD. Took less than a half an hour.

good luck on it
mike
Justinp71
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Dec 18 2009, 11:04 AM) *

PO put it here and I've had no problems with it. I've since changed it to a MSD6AL and used the same location. Seems like a well sealed unit.

Click to view attachment

Edit: I just went through my install manual and there is no mention of a minimum distance to battery.

agree.gif

This is where I have mine aswell and I think its a good location, my battery is in the trunk though.
Scott S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 18 2009, 02:26 PM) *

If you still have the stock battery tray ...

I made a mounting plate that bolted to the stock FI brain bracket. That put the MSD box in the same spot as the stock FI brain.

Simple, out of the way and no holes to drill ...
shades.gif Andy

Hi Andy -
Do you have any pics? Perry K talked me into doing this too and is building it into my new harness. I would like to get a start on the bracket.

Thanks!
iamchappy
Yep, works there as well...I ended up moving it to the other side as it was getting a bit crowded on that side.
mounted mine with those rubber isolator jobbies.
bcheney
Thanks for all the pics and input everyone. I expect to have my new engine wiring harness from Patrick Motorsports next week or early the week after Christmas. I plan to install the MSD in the safe dry confines of the rear trunk.
TC 914-8
Man there are some good lookin engines and compartments out there. My box is mounted on the Left side fire wall, I relocated the coil to the back trunk to keep it away from the heat. Now that i see other examples, (T.C.'s), I might put the whole mess back there.
Good luck
Click to view attachment
effutuo101
I put mine behind the passenger seat. That way I can reach the fuse that I ran in line when I leave the car.
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 18 2009, 07:57 AM) *

Before I switched this car to the Electromotive system, My MSD Box was in the same place.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Here is what the New Owner (in Wales) of my old car did with his MSD.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
I have to be honest for a street car I don't care for the electronics to be in the trunk. Porsche installed their CD boxes in the engine bays of 911's + 914's for a long time with no issues that I'm aware of. The MSD,Mallory and Crane ignition boxes are well made and are either fully potted or heavily conformal coated so unless you're pouring a garden hose on them while running I don't think there are any problems. Just my 2 cents. beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(9146986 @ Dec 18 2009, 07:42 AM) *
Will they fit in the same location as the stock 914-6 CD box? It's as good a place as any.
They will and that's exactly what I did with mine. No I don't have pics. that was back when the car was together and running/driving. And that's been just way too long ago. wink.gif
campbellcj
Mine are in the trunk. Behind the passenger seat is another option but the wiring is a bit more work and the accessibility far worse.

IPB Image
jt914-6
[quote name='campbellcj' date='Dec 20 2009, 01:40 AM' post='1252983']
Mine are in the trunk. Behind the passenger seat is another option but the wiring is a bit more work and the accessibility far worse.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason NASCAR and other "race" cars mount the ignition boxes inside the car is for heat reasons. That's one reason I mounted mine where I did. Also as stated, to unclutter the engine compartment. I have a three quart Accusump where most people mounted their MSD in the rear trunk, so that option was out. The way I built my car, behind the seats was a good location. They don't effect seat travel either. Accessibility??? If you'll notice in my pic, the rpm chip is easy to get to. Unless it dies, what other reason does one need accessibility for??? As far as wiring, I have two wires from the dist. coming through the firewall and two going to the coil. Wasn't a problem.... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
Which ever genius that put the battery there should be ......waterboarded.
bcheney
Great shots and advice everyone. Keep'em coming. This is turning out to be a great thread for the topic.
bcheney
Here is another entry...

carr914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Dec 21 2009, 08:03 AM) *

Here is another entry...

Except a horrible job on the grounds
naro914
Here's how Huey and Papa Smurf's are:
craig3x
guess why I have 2
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/cra...ot/porsche5.jpg
naro914
QUOTE(craig3x @ Dec 21 2009, 08:27 PM) *

twin plug?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.