Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philly scammer car is back for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenpolives
For all the folks who tried to look at the fully restored 2.0 outside Philly, it is now a 1.8. This is the same car from Woburn Mass where the owner freaked when so many people called and wanted to see the car first. He wanted me to drive 6 hours to look at the car myself rather than have a fellow memeber check it out and let everyone know the truth. To Him I say pissoff.gif
cgnj
You mean this car.
car for sale
Well, I'm pissed. I paid a deposit on that car and have a signed agreement of sale. And not for $2500. Went to pick it up yesterday. "I decided to keep it". Sign on this morning and see this thread, check the ad and see it was posted either before or while I was on the road to close the deal.
East coaster
Damn.........for 2500 bucks, how bad can it be??? Is is rotted bad? Lose the rear spoiler and the monza exhaust and run it.
boxstr
Someone had responded to the original ad or ebay and it was $2500 and they were told it was know $3500 because of a misprint or more than likely it was the interest that was given to the car when it was a 2.0.
CCLINSELLYOURCAR
cgnj
My worthless piece of paper relects a price substantially less than $2500. I cannot honestly tell you if it is a 1.8 or 1.7. It has djet. I guess I could have crawled under and measured the cylinders. In my opinion, I didn't have enough jackstands and no 4x4s to insure my safety. I wasn't prepared because it described as "mint".

I'm still waiting for him to respond to my email.

Carlos

Yes I have a dog in this fight
rhodyguy
for fuck sake!! how can someone misprint an ad in the classifieds? it's not like it's some grocery ad in the newspaper. it's his fingers doing the walking.

kevin
airsix
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 21 2004, 06:03 AM)
You mean this car.
car for sale
Well, I'm pissed. I paid a deposit on that car and have a signed agreement of sale. And not for $2500. Went to pick it up yesterday. "I decided to keep it". Sign on this morning and see this thread, check the ad and see it was posted either before or while I was on the road to close the deal.

If you have a signed agreement, and (this is the most important part) you payed ernest money to the seller - THAT IS A BINDING CONTRACT. Hopefully the signed agreement acknowledges that ernest money was payed at signing. If this is the case, that car is yours. You take that magic piece of paper to court and it'll be like a trip to Burger King (ie. you get to have it your way).

If you want serious trouble you get a oral agreemnet.
If you want things to go well you get a written agreement.
If you want a sure thing you sign a written contract and secure it with an ernest money paymemt.

You do #3 and you will probably win 99 times out of 100. (IANAL)

-Ben M.
cgnj
Hi,
I'm guessing 3 to 6 months for a court date. Filing/service fees, required pretrial mediation, may be more time than I want to expend and the car becomes a marginal or bad deal. Although a 2 law firms that I do consulting for do have small remote offices in Montgomery County that could provide some support. To me this was a 3/4 year project car that fit well with my intended purpose to give it to my son. (13 yrs.)

I have this
If you want a sure thing you sign a written contract and secure it with an ernest money paymemt

See attached file. Take note of the rust disclaimer.

Carlos

davep
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 21 2004, 07:23 AM)
My worthless piece of paper relects a price substantially less than $2500. I cannot honestly tell you if it is a 1.8 or 1.7. It has djet.

If the car is a D-jet and not a 2.0 then it should be a 1.7, especially since it is a 1973 (last year for the 1.7).
1.7 had a round air cleaner, and the 2.0 was square.
1.7 has 4 stud intakes, the 2.0 has 3 studs.
Was it drivable? If the tranny is okay, then about half the investment is covered.

DaveP
kenpolives
Get you money back and somebody take the classified add off. This "Bernie" has fed everyone a bunch of crap. I can't beleive I thought of driving down a few weeks ago to see this P.O.S. car. I never thought I'd be happy to have freezing rain.... but it saved me that day. Does the car still have the Mass plates? I'd ask to see a title, if he doesn't have it call the local police tell them he may be selling stolen property.

If anyone see's the car, bring the big pointy screwdriver and see if you can get the car to fold in half.
seanery
I thought about removing the ad, but I'm not sure I have access to do that.
GWN7
I'd contact the local police. You have what appears to be a bill of sale and money has changed hands. He has refused to give you the car as per the terms of sale and is advertising the car forsale again by having the ad listed here. Copy and print the ad from the classified section and take that with you. If the local police don't want to get involved go to the state police. Looks like fraud to me. Cheaper than paying a lawyer and might be faster.

If the police investigate this, they might seize the car untill the case is over or if they visit him he might finalize the deal with you with out your having to sue.
scotty
I'd donate some of my miles to fly Brad out to talk with this fellow. It doesn't sound too good <_<
cgnj
Hi,
Please don't delete the ad. I have already saved it. I don't know if multiple people being able to produce and ad would help, but if some of you could save it in case I need it I would appreciate it. I may have a "cause of action" here and will float it by some friends who are in the business tommorrow. Please be aware that Bernie has told me that he is an attorney. I think I'll se if he's listed on the PA. Bar. Post your comments with that in mind.

By the way he did finally call me. Wants me to pay more.

Carlos

VIN 4732906264
(in case it ever goes on ebay and some noob no offense intended googles the vin)
seanery
pic of ad listing:
seanery
pic of ad:
Gint
Hi,
Please don't delete the ad. I have already saved it.

I can delete it, (and I thought about doing just that) but I chose not too when I saw this post earlier today. Primarily for the reasons you stated. It occurred to me that you might want the ad inyact for any future litigation.

If anything, I might change the expiration date so that it doesn't get removed unless the seller is smart enought to remove it. Thanks to Sean though, it's a moot point now since we have a copy of it.
Gint
It's already gone. Did an admin delete it or did the seller do it?

Since the ad is gone, so is he. I just deleted his account. He never validated it anyway.
seanery
I did NOT remove it.
Gint
No worries Sean. I was just curious if the guy had the sense to delete it himself.
airsix
QUOTE(cgnj @ Mar 21 2004, 05:51 PM)
I may have a "cause of action" here and will float it by some friends who are in the business tommorrow.

I was looking at your contrtact and thinking everything was looking perfect for you right up to the point where it says you'll pay him the outsanding balance by the 20th, which was yesterday. You may or may not still have recourse since it now appears that neither of you fulfilled your obligation. I'm not saying that to be a dick - I'm just saying that's how a judge may view it. You may argue that you didn't pay because of his actions - but I don't know how that will play out. I'm still rooting for you.

-Ben M.
william harris
chair.gif OK, the lawyer has to step in. The buyer here should have no problem. He was ready, willing and able to perform. The seller had already breached the contract by repudiating it and (consistent with prior episodes) trying to renegotiate the price up after the deal was made. So the seller's repudiation and breach excuses the buyer from any further performance under the contract (wouldn't it be absurd to require the buyer to pay the balance of the purchase price knowing the seller won't deliver the car?)(then again, sometime logic and the law part company)(but thankfully not in contract law). So, judgment for buyer. Also, look into the applicable law for unfair and deceptive trade practices, this law often allows for treble damages plus lawyers fees. We all know this guy has a real bad history with efforts to sell this car. Good luck. Yack.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.