Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Auction Here in SLC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9057978

Wow... blink.gif
SLITS
That's the gubermint for ya ... sieze and sell before conviction. More money for "fact finding trips" to the Bahamas.

Money will be returned to those who suffered losses bs.gif
johnnie5
You gonna go to the auction on the 7th Eric?
john grier
Is that legal?
I have no idea if the guy is guilty or not, and I do not care.
But how can his cars be sold before he is convicted?
Looks to me that his cars are being stole by someone.
What if he is found innocent.
His cars have been sold!
How can He get them back.
Just my rant
ghuff
Asset forfeiture laws are NOT pretty.........

Cops can seize your stuff on suspicion of drug smuggling period.

It is sketchy, and yes we do live in a fucked place in ways.
johnnie5
Founded for the people, by the people.... unsure.gif
Sleepin
land of the free right?
mojorisen914
The only thing missing to make that collection perfect is ofcourse; a 914!
Mikey914
The guy probably is guilty, but I'm a little disturbed that The auction is before the trial.
Elliot Cannon
Asset forfeiture has been going on for a long time. You just don't hear about it much. I wonder why? idea.gif lol-2.gif
Spoke
Here's two that I would like to have. Except the wheels on the Judge don't fit the image.
Dr Evil
Lots of replicas. I like the Panteras smile.gif
GeorgeRud
Kind of a strange collection of vehicles, lot's of replicas and second rate collectables. Nevertheless, there are some that I wouldn't mind owning!

It does bother me that the government can sell these before he's convicted. What happens if he is found innocent? Are the cars returned to him? Doesn't this strike all of you as guilty until proven innocent?

Any government that can give you all you want, can take all you have!
Mikey914
I wrote the author of the article and recieved the following:
Sent: Sat 12/19/09 8:47 AM
To: Mark Whitesell (whitesell@hotmail.com)

You're right Mark.
Usually these auctions take place post-trial.
But in this case, the US Marshal told me that they went to the judge an explained that the cost of storing all the vehicles in the warehouse was costing $20,000/month. And they'be been storing them for about 9 months or so...and, not knowing how long it would take to get trial over with, they decided to save you and me--the taxpayers-- a few bucks.
Also, selling everything now, helps the judge with determining restitution when it gets to that point, because he has a hard number to work with.
Still a sad case.
The auctioneer tells me that he got dozens of calls and emails following the story...several from people who saw their (former) cars in the video. And they want to come and bid on them to get them back! Apparently, the defendant is alledged to have given cars to investors as a form of payment when he couldn't give them cash.

Thanks for watching.
I think we'll probably do a story when the open houses take place, and a follow-up when they sell them all.

kmc

Keith McCord
KSL-TV (NBC)
Anchor/Reporter
55 North 300 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84180
801-575-5500 Work
801-560-2221 Cell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:33 AM
To: Keith McCord
Subject: The Car collector article you did.

I read the article, it truely is interesting. I did find one thing that really disturbed me about the whole thing. The timing of the auction. The trial is set for July 27th, the auction is in January. This seems to be in complete disreguard for due process. The larger issue here is how can the US government sell items that have been seized prior to trial? The guy probably is guilty, but the complete disreguard for due process is scarry.

What would happen if he was truely innocent, and was found innocent?

I would appreciate any links to any subsequent articles you may do on this issue.

SIncerely,

Mark Whitesell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.
ghuff
Save us a few bucks, that is a good spin.

If found innocent the .gov needs to own up and eat the bill, and fire whoever built the case around not enough actual fact and damning fact.

I like the double talk. I think this applies:

IPB Image

Burden of justice and bill of justice lies on the rape happy justice system. I love when I am found innocent of small things I still get to pay my court costs while the cop writing the ticket is just like hey whatever i tried to get more money for the gov!
rascobo
I can't swear it's true, but an attorney told Me that seizure and sale can take place without criminal charges ever being made.
That it's then incumbent upon the person who owns the property to prove they are not guilty of the crimes they haven't been charged with. Being it's impossible to prove a negative, the courts always rule for the Government.confused24.gif

If Your heads not hurting, read it again. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.