Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticky Stuff Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
What can I use to take off the sticky stuff & ugly black crap that held the backpad to the firewall? Is there anything that won't get me off wacko.gif If not I'd like to use some good shit & just be done wit it wink.gif

..........b

P.s. NO RUST IN THE HELL HOLE!! boldblue.gif Woohoo beer.gif
Bleyseng
laquer thinner works pretty well although the fumes are killer. Wear a mask
TheCabinetmaker
Bruce, I thought you'd have that 2 litre in by now? laugh.gif

Just kidding, lacquer thinner should do the job.
John2kx
Bruce,

This was the worst part of any area on my car to restore. Tried paint remover, sanding, scraping, wire wheels and just about everything else I had in shop to remove factory and PO installed glue. Since my car is black, I would have had to put more effort than I did to end up with a surface finish equal to the exterior.

After spending countless weekends on my back, knees or bent over engine bay, I settled by spraying entire engine bay with one of the truckbed liner type coatings. It turned out OK but not as easy to keep clean as a smooth paint finish would have. The rougher coating I chose seems to collect anything that comes in contact with it. Just another case of "90% prep".

Have you considered sand blasting?

John
boxstr
Bruce we could tow dolly the car out to OC and have it media blasted. Ledt me know.
CCLINBLASTERBAY
rhodyguy
gumout carb cleaner worked the best for me. let it work a bit and the glue will roll up like snot balls. not a paper mask either. go to home depot and get one rated for vapors with the screw on canisters. you'll need it to paint anyways.

kevin
McMark
TA-DA!

1001 uses for Berryman's Brake Cleaner! It'll take you about 4 hours total and will remove the original paint, but it'll be gone and you can then repaint it. Make sure your garage door is open. Fumes aren't as bad a laquer thinner though. Note: Berrymans!

beerchug.gif
jd74914
You could always try the "poorman's method."

Worked fine for me. happy11.gif
jd74914
Oops. happy11.gif

Forgot the other important piece . . .
TheCabinetmaker
Uh, those are "wood" chisels. I just pulled a 1.7 last week that had the worst oil leak ever. The blanket had been removed a few years ago and there was about a half inch of oil builup on the fire wall. A good stiff 1 1/2" putty knife with the corners rounded off (keeps ya from digging into the metal) worked like a champ. the glue had been soften by the oil and came right off. So, all you need is a good oil leak laugh.gif
Qarl
My wife says there is something called unisolve, that is skin-safe that dissolves adhesives.... (designed to remove bandage and tape residue).

Maybe that would work?
jd74914
Uh, those are "wood" chisels.

Yeah, I know it. (I build cabinets in my spare time). Though, the chisel I used was dull as a hoe and so screwed up I figured it wasn't worth trying to fix it for the 1000th time.

A good stiff 1 1/2" putty knife with the corners rounded off (keeps ya from digging into the metal) worked like a champ.

You only need to be gentle to avoid killing the metal (as chisels slice through it like butter) beerchug.gif

BTW I didn't actually take a pic of my tools (these are from google images)
TheCabinetmaker
Cool, I build them for a living, and fix 914's in my spare time rolleyes.gif
jd74914
smilie_pokal.gif Way to be beerchug.gif
McMark
Wood chisels and heat work great for removing undercoating from the wheel wells and under the car.
Jenny
I second the brake cleaner method. From Brad's school of automotive. Works great. Have a fan nearby circulating air though. I remember getting pretty loopy working in the engine bays. I removed that shit from both the orange and silver cars.

Jen
Bruce Allert
Everyone had great suggestions smilie_pokal.gif Thanks!
Curt, I know I should'a had it back in by now but, I'm sure you know, as you're working on one thing on the car, another catches your eye & it's off on a different tangent until you get re-directed back to what you originally started! I got the tranny off the 1.7 yesterday & cleaned it up. Raised the car another 4 or 5 inches, pulled the blanket off the back then removed the motor mounts off the 1.7 to use them on the 2.0 since thay are almost brand new. Must have a wee bit of Attention Defficet going on laugh.gif Wanted to stay home this morning & put the tranny on the 2.0 but my boss called & said they needed a 4th for a scramble... (& if I didn't attend & was fired)! rolleyes.gif So, after 18 holes & a couple beers...........

Craig, thanks for the offer but I don't really wanna go that far since I have the car up on blocks. After I see if this 2.0 runs then I will consider taking it back out & do a total clean up of that part of the car & engine.

Thanks again for everyones help beerchug.gif

........b
TheCabinetmaker
See? You're already talking about pulling it out again.
The more ya do it the easier it gets. My son in law have done 5 together now. Out and back in. We pulled one two weeks ago in 25 minutes. He did the top while I was underneath.
bernbomb914
There is a foil insulation pad listed on ebay which will cover that mess and give you some sound deadening. It is cut to fit perfectly.

Bernie
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 21 2004, 03:34 PM)
See? You're already talking about pulling it out again.
The more ya do it the easier it gets.

Ya, Ya... I'm already looking forward to the install & another removal beer.gif When you have the moves down pat & the way you lift the car it really ain't that bad. I think I just might buy an RV lift like the one I borrowed from JP. I also want to get a "C" or "I" beam that will catch under the control arms. The beam would rest on the RV jack. With the wide table area of the RV jack (2'x2') it makes a sturdy way to lift the rearend.

Bernie, I was thinking along those lines just so I wouldn't have to scrape all that crap rolleyes.gif It would seem to add light or brightness to the bay too. Gotta check it out.

.....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.