Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am going LS1. 8 guys, please stop in....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghuff
Well I have been staring at my 914 for a while, and contemplating options........

The reality has sunk in that I dont want another turbocharged car on standalone fuel injection.

I saw the 2600$ price tag for the renegade hybrids LS1 kit. I am pretty much dead set on dumping a bone stock LS1 longblock into the car with an edelbrock carb manifold and a holley double pumper of some sort and the edelbrock/msd retro kit.

I will convert to a high flow low pressure carb friendly pump and bam, I will never need more power.

If I do, heads and cam will make an easy 450whp.

Are there other options than the renegade hybrids kit? Who out there is using one?

These questions are just a start, I am still wondering about chassis bracing and so forth as I don't feel like tearing my 914 apart after a few hundred miles of fun driving and autocross.
messix
piratenanner.gif just throw the cam in it any way, your gonna have the intake off and arn't gonna be worried about f/i and keeping a smooth idle, so thow a cam at it! happy11.gif
should give you over 400hp with a mild set up!
ghuff
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 18 2009, 10:41 PM) *

piratenanner.gif just throw the cam in it any way, your gonna have the intake off and arn't gonna be worried about f/i and keeping a smooth idle, so thow a cam at it! happy11.gif

lol I know... it is that easy. But I want to keep the motor install minimal for a while so I can focus my resources on suspension, chassis bracing and stuff to put the power down without breaking.

Oh brakes... yeah etc. All that stuff smile.gif
messix
QUOTE(ghuff @ Dec 18 2009, 11:49 PM) *

lol I know... it is that easy. But I want to keep the motor install minimal for a while so I can focus my resources on suspension, chassis bracing and stuff to put the power down without breaking.

carerra struts in front with big clampers and erics vented clampers in the rear and yer done!

then kick the mule and have fun!
computers4kids
QUOTE(ghuff @ Dec 18 2009, 10:49 PM) *

:

But I want to keep the motor install minimal for a while so I can focus my resources on suspension, chassis bracing and stuff to put the power down without breaking.

lol-2.gif Good Luck...it's a slippery slope and there is no such thing as a "minimal motor install." Do right the first time, especially when it comes to the cooling system. Cutting corners in this area with 300+ horsepower is going to bite you in the bootyshake.gif .
popcorn[1].gif
ghuff
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 19 2009, 06:14 AM) *

QUOTE(ghuff @ Dec 18 2009, 10:49 PM) *

:

But I want to keep the motor install minimal for a while so I can focus my resources on suspension, chassis bracing and stuff to put the power down without breaking.

lol-2.gif Good Luck...it's a slippery slope and there is no such thing as a "minimal motor install." Do right the first time, especially when it comes to the cooling system. Cutting corners in this area with 300+ horsepower is going to bite you in the bootyshake.gif .
popcorn[1].gif

Sorry, but I have to disagree some. 300hp is more than enough for a long time. Getting 300hp out of a bone stock carb'd ls1 with stock exhaust manifolds is cake.

I am pretty happy with 400whp every day in a car that weighs 3000lbs and is FWD.

I will not be skimping on cooling, I am not sure if I could really. Skimping on cooling an aluminum block is tarded. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Why would you put in an LS1, but then carb it? The cool part of the LS1 is that it is fuel injected with cheap and plentiful GM parts.

Zach

zymurgist
NASCAR fan?
shoguneagle
Did this, done that, completed same!!! Made my build such as yours using the Renegade kit. Used 901 trans and do not hammer it from dead stop, you will be ok. Runs like a "raped ape" in a straight line and seems to handle like an older Vette in the corners. Used 911 front everything, modified 911 rear axle/stub/bearing/spacer/etc. Brakes all 911 vented. Everything I build was done before the V-8 conversion was popular and the only thing available was Rod Simpson and first kits from Renegade. Suspensions consisted of Koni Red shocks all four corners, 22 mm sway front, 19 sway rear (stock), 200 # springs rear with adjustable purches, copper radiator with copper pipes to engine, and probably alot more. Kennedy Stage II Kevlar clutch package also used.

Put 300 hundred miles on it and it sat in my garage in Santa Clara, CA for more than fourteen years. I personally did not like like the way it handled in the corners since I had a 1964 Vette which handled the same way. Sold my parts to Andyrew and years later finishing my 911 3.2 Carrera conversion n Flagstaff,, AZ.

The hardest thing was to get the air pockets out of the cooling system. I "burped" to system so many times and still had air. I think eventually I ran a small hose from the highest point on the radiator to the high point in the engine compartment (the filler opening) and that is how I eventually got all the air out.

I think you will enjoy building as well as driving your project. The are a few builders of this type project and you should still be able to do a search. Learn as much as you can from them. Buried around the house I still have my notes.

Anyway, best of luck and enjoy the project and driving.

steve hurt

Believe me, it will move and you will throughly enjoy it. There a lot more and better engineered parts available today so you should have a better selection to eliminate the weaknesses I had in my build.
ghuff
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 19 2009, 09:15 AM) *

Why would you put in an LS1, but then carb it? The cool part of the LS1 is that it is fuel injected with cheap and plentiful GM parts.

Zach

Honestly, I have this need for a car that I can tune with a bent fork from my kitchen drawer while I drink a beer or whatever and listen to some metal. I guess if it sucks ass getting at the plugs then that may influence the carb decision some.

I can turn the screw to make it richer. Simplicity. Jets and rebuild kits are at any speed shop or summit/jegs.

I am not unwavering on the carb conversion, but it would simplify wiring a bunch.

My thoughts of hte cool ls1 thing is that it is aluminum top to bottom, MUCH MUCH lighter than a regular small block chevy, and while the motor may have some weight higher than a flat IV or a Subie 2.5 or EJ20, it is a balance between that and a small block of old days.

I really do not want a type IV, or a 6 in any form. They are just not for me. The 6 expense puts me off entirely, while I could do it I can not in my right mind justify it at all. The high power type IV idea is great, but I know that all it will take is some high CHT's and a little detonation to blow my case apart and I will be swapping in type IV motors like candy even with a baby turbo unless I sacrifice a child and spend a lot of money with Jake Raby, but even then nothing is guaranteed when you are asking for 200hp-300hp out of a design like the type iv.

QUOTE(zymurgist)
NASCAR fan?

Die in a fire! barf.gif biggrin.gif

Shoguneagle, did you use an LS1 motor or a normal small block chevy? I remember seeing photos of your Carrera build and it was a very stunning beautiful car.

The internet seems to say the LT1 weighs about 785lbs fully dressed and an LS1 457lbs fully dressed. Not sure of the accuracy...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 19 2009, 09:15 AM) *

Zach

agree.gif The GM EFI setup is very easy. You can use all stock components, ECU, sensors, etc...

The car will always start on the first crank, give better fuel economy AND if you ever have a problem, just plug into the OBD port and the car tells you what is wrong.

Fuel injection is easy! Even a TBI setup is better than a carb. Just keep to a mild cam if using a TBI or you will need to re curve the fuel map.
byndbad914
consider going the 5.3 route as well for real budget sorta build - throw a few parts at it and make great power for low $$. Also, at minimum, if you have the intake off do the cam as stated, even if you think you don't want the extra power, you don't HAVE to use it, but can have it there should you do some transaxle upgrades later, etc.

I am amazed what a 5.3L can put out with little $ shoved in it.

idea threads on a different forum I peruse

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12871

Steve Rupp has a Track Rat thread somewhere (the search function there sucks) where they built and dyno'd a 5.3L up around 500HP!! Freakin' nuts and on a budget. Those LS engines are pretty awesome, and the 5.3L will come in cheaper than the LS1.
ghuff
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Dec 19 2009, 12:26 PM) *

consider going the 5.3 route as well for real budget sorta build - throw a few parts at it and make great power for low $$. Also, at minimum, if you have the intake off do the cam as stated, even if you think you don't want the extra power, you don't HAVE to use it, but can have it there should you do some transaxle upgrades later, etc.

I am amazed what a 5.3L can put out with little $ shoved in it.

idea threads on a different forum I peruse

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12871

Steve Rupp has a Track Rat thread somewhere (the search function there sucks) where they built and dyno'd a 5.3L up around 500HP!! Freakin' nuts and on a budget. Those LS engines are pretty awesome, and the 5.3L will come in cheaper than the LS1.

Are those iron or aluminum blocks? I ask because I am dead set on an aluminum block only.

I want to keep the weight low, I think that will be key to a fun V8 experience.
BIGKAT_83
Pretty easy to do the 914 LSX conversion, Meziere now makes all of the componets for a remote electric water pump. They have the plates for the front water inlets and outlets and have a very nice remote inline thermostat housing.
These take most of the work out of doing the conversion.

You can get machined plates to move the motor mounts on the LSX block to the same place as a SBC and then use the older type motor mounts.The cost on these is less than $40. These then line the block up with the stock 914 mount location.

I would use a all aluminum L33 5.3 liter truck engine and add a LS1 intake and go with the fuel injection, Put a GM hot cam in it and a set of springs and your good for a 7000 rpm engine. By the way you can change the cam with the intake on the engine. You can find these in my area for $600 to $700 complete and under 50k miles.

Cost would also be cheaper doing the fuel injection. If you use a carb and intake you would need a MSD igintion control. If you get all of this new it will be over $1000.

Bob
zymurgist
Honestly... I'd buy a C5 Corvette and be driving it immediately rather than spending the time and effort on a conversion.
jimkelly
914 + big power = street fun

fat tires and flairs needs 450hp & 930 trans,
narrow body needs 300hp & 901 : )
ghuff
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Dec 20 2009, 05:00 AM) *

914 + big power = street fun

fat tires and flairs needs 450hp - narrow body needs 300 : )

Like the first hit of crack to a crackhead, I think it was the ride in your v8 that did me in initially yet I did not know it.

Thank you Jim smile.gif How goes getting your white car together since you decided to keep it? That one was in pretty darn good shape.
computers4kids
QUOTE(ghuff @ Dec 19 2009, 06:32 AM) *

Sorry, but I have to disagree some. 300hp is more than enough for a long time. Getting 300hp out of a bone stock carb'd ls1 with stock exhaust manifolds is cake.

I am pretty happy with 400whp every day in a car that weighs 3000lbs and is FWD.

I will not be skimping on cooling, I am not sure if I could really. Skimping on cooling an aluminum block is tarded. smile.gif

agree.gif 300 hp in these cars is a ton of fun and works pretty well for a street car. Yes, and it's not too hard to hit that kind of hp to the rear wheels. I weighed my finished v8914 at 2350 with an iron SBC. I've probably added another 100lbs adding AC. The conversion added 200lbs to my car (weighing the car on a digital scale).

In these light weight cars, saving 100-150bs or so going aluminum won't make that big of a difference with a good running v8, unless your'e plan on a lot of twisty track time.

As far as fuel injection and carbs, I would go with the fuel injection, although I did not. I'm very happy with my carbed motor, it runs like a champ, starts first time every time in a multitude of weathers, and gets 24mpg on the highway with an H gear for 5th.

Go for it!
ghuff
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 19 2009, 04:18 PM) *

Pretty easy to do the 914 LSX conversion, Meziere now makes all of the componets for a remote electric water pump. They have the plates for the front water inlets and outlets and have a very nice remote inline thermostat housing.
These take most of the work out of doing the conversion.

Nice. What about the coolant hoses, and radiator shrouding? I suppose I could fab the shrouding myself and of course get two flexlite fans........

You can get machined plates to move the motor mounts on the LSX block to the same place as a SBC and then use the older type motor mounts.The cost on these is less than $40. These then line the block up with the stock 914 mount location.

I guess this allows the use of cheaper/earlier v8 conversion parts? Does anyone else make these besides renegade hybrids? Or these plates just let me bolt the motor to stock 914 mounts?

If using the stock mounts, have you had any trouble murdering them with the torque and power of an LS1?

I would use a all aluminum L33 5.3 liter truck engine and add a LS1 intake and go with the fuel injection, Put a GM hot cam in it and a set of springs and your good for a 7000 rpm engine. By the way you can change the cam with the intake on the engine. You can find these in my area for $600 to $700 complete and under 50k miles.

I have a buddy with an 1100hp drag camaro who went iron block and I can most likely get his stock block, heads, cam and everything super cheap. Like what you posted above! smile.gif

Cost would also be cheaper doing the fuel injection. If you use a carb and intake you would need a MSD igintion control. If you get all of this new it will be over $1000.

If that is the case, then you are right. I will get his stock injectors and rails, then maybe grab a used ECU and harness to wire in. Wiring is no issue for me.

Bob

So basically this can be done without the 2600$ renegade hybrids kit?

I'm still questioning the ls1 to 901 bellhousing adapter, clutch stuff, and throttle linkage..........

Are there other companies that make these parts? What did you do for those?

I appreciate any guidance, as single income with 2 kids and wife the less I spend the better, without cutting corners. If there is a good way without the renegade hybrids kit, then I will be all for it even if it requires a little more work.

Could you post some pics of your LS1 monster? smile.gif
charliew
The adapter clutch and flywheel come from Kennedy no matter where the install kit comes from. If you are a good fabricater you don't need a kit but if you are just good at bolting stuff together and want it all worked out for you then go with RH's kit and be done with it. You will probably end up spending more on the wheels, brakes, tranny, battery relocation and suspension stuff than the motor and adapter and radiator kit. You can spend the money over a few years but it will be hard to do a nice car for under 10k especially if it has a wide fenders.
RJMII
isn't the 996 Transaxle the same bolt pattern/starter location as the Boxster S six speed?

http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm

We are now manufacturing an adapter kit to install an LS series engine to the Porsche 996.
RJMII
Boxster S 6 speed:

Click to view attachment

996 transmission:

Click to view attachment

The side pics show that the flanges are 6 bolt on the Boxster S, and IIRC they have the same diameter as the 930 flanges. (refer to Eric's thread on 'simple' 5 lug conversion for getting the power to the wheels from the trans).
Rand
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 19 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Honestly... I'd buy a C5 Corvette and be driving it immediately rather than spending the time and effort on a conversion.

Wow, that completely bypasses everything I love about the idea of a v8 914. With its mid-engine configuration, lighter weight, and everything else dialed in, the 914 is not even close to being the same. I don't want just another vette or other common muscle car. A v8 914 is a unique sleeper.

Ahhh, sleepers... wub.gif
"Hey look dear, it's an old 914... I hear they came with vw motors. Hahah." Then it rips off like a muscle car. Yet handles better.
ghuff
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 21 2009, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 19 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Wow, that completely bypasses everything I love about the idea of a v8 914. With its mid-engine configuration, lighter weight, and everything else dialed in, the 914 is not even close to being the same. I don't want just another vette or other common muscle car. A v8 914 is a unique sleeper.

Ahhh, sleepers... wub.gif
"Hey look dear, it's an old 914... I hear they came with vw motors. Hahah." Then it rips off like a muscle car. Yet handles better.

This is exactly the goal. And I am going to have to stay with an LS1, as it seems to be the cheapest option of staying aluminum block which is a foundational requirement of mine.

No offense to other(iron) v8 guys, but I just want to start by keeping the weight down as much as possible.
andys
It would be good to know if the bolt patterns are the same, though the two transaxles probably are not unless the Boxster motor rotates in the opposite direction. Kennedy could answer the bolt pattern question.

Having done (well, almost done anyway) an LS1/914 conversion, it takes some doing in terms of fabricating special parts but doable it is. I'd be concerned with the 901 transaxle strength, but that mostly depends on how you drive it; Some people can ruin just about any trans in a heartbeat while others' can make them last just fine. I'm using an Audi 01E 6 speed which some have claimed is good to 500HP, but I'm not anywhere near that anyway. Took a lot of special fabrication to adapt it and to mount it into the car.

The below is a photo before the engine/trans were installed. I did drive the car only once so far just up and down the street; no license plates, no insurance, so I parked it quick.

Andys

RJMII
I confirmed it with Brad and Jake. =o) the Boxster S and the 996 are the same bolt pattern. Similar to the 911 901 and the 914 901, they did the internal modifications to make it mid engine instead of tail dragger.

Don't mention to KEP that you'd be using the Boxster S trans, though. they don't know the differences between the Boxster and Boxster S transmissions yet. Just because they make a product doesn't mean they know all of the applications that it could work with.
ghuff
QUOTE(RJMII @ Dec 28 2009, 10:45 AM) *

I confirmed it with Brad and Jake. =o) the Boxster S and the 996 are the same bolt pattern. Similar to the 911 901 and the 914 901, they did the internal modifications to make it mid engine instead of tail dragger.

Don't mention to KEP that you'd be using the Boxster S trans, though. they don't know the differences between the Boxster and Boxster S transmissions yet. Just because they make a product doesn't mean they know all of the applications that it could work with.

Now I am wondering how much for a boxster S box, and then I can hopefully fabricate some stick linkage up.

I can not stand cables, I am so done with them sad.gif

What do those go for normally? I can fab up some trans mounts and i can perhaps hack apart 914 axles or do something semi custom there if it has not been done.

I am on the fence gearbox wise. I can probably keep a 901 together, but I would also like to buy the right kennedy adapter kit 1x and do it right.

I would hate to blow apart a few 901 boxes, wasting them and time.
RJMII
From what I've read (mostly in some of Jake's posts); The shifter and cables would be an easy integration into the 914. Probably a lot easier than shift linkage. Stock Boxster S cables, Stock Boxster S shifter, Custom mount built in the right spot for your right hand.

Did you already do a five lug conversion? Did you check out Eric's thread on the five lug conversion? He addresses some key axle issues there that would be a worthy read. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost

The cost range on the Boxster S transaxles that I've seen on ePay run from $2k - $3k. (I've been watching them because I want to put one behind my V6)
pjhaun
front.
Andyrew
If you want a carbed SBC buy a carbed SBC, not an LS engine. The whole reason the LS engine is so nice and has such great #'s is the fuel management system and intake setup.

Going carbed is just back dating 20 years..

Just throw on a cam and put a cone filter off the throttle body. You wont have it any other way. And you'll probably actually drive the thing.

Good luck, Oh and a boxster trani setup sounds like your adding a year to the project and at least $3k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.