Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
Ok, so I'm thinking about having my Fuchs stripped and polished. Does anyone have any pics of some already done and where did you send them to have them done.
I'd rather have them done then do it myself for a couple of reasons; 1. I'm in Kuwait now and 2, I don't have the patience.

Thanks, peeps!
Socalandy
Al Reed is the guy to go to. Here's mine the day I picked them up shades.gif
johnnie5
Al Reed is the way to go, but there are many out there that will also do a good job. I had mine done here in San Diego by an outfit called US Wheels, recommended to me by a tail dragger friend of mine. They charged me $100 a wheel with the black inlay, or $80 a wheel for straight polished. There is a guy in Florida that posts on The Samba regularly who does Fuchs.... never saw his work in person though.
Cevan
I did mine with a combination of bead blasting and polishing. It was a lot of work. I would probably pay someone to do it next time.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Weidman Wheels in Oroville. Al Weidman is a 914 guy and a member here. His brother Harvey used to own a 914 and still keeps the snapshot around to show. Harvey is recognized as the world's leading expert on Porsche wheels by PCA. Al Weidman sold their original shop to Al Reed years ago...
r_towle
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 19 2009, 07:52 AM) *

I did mine with a combination of bead blasting and polishing. It was a lot of work. I would probably pay someone to do it next time.

Click to view attachment

I have a very nice set of OEM wheels I would gladly trade for those wheels Chris....

Rich
al weidman
I sold my business to Al Reed, then moved to No. Calif., been doing wheels here for 29 years. Harvey has the whole business now and does nothing but Porsche wheels, mostly concours restorations and fabricating special application wheels. Here's a polished wheel. santa_smiley.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Gint
I spent 30 hours doing this myself:

IPB Image

From this old thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13557&

I've said this before; Doing this taught me the value of Al Reed's work. Sure, now that I've done it and have a process I could do that level of polish in about 8 hours now instead of 30, but it's just not worth it. Al and Diane do great work. And if that's a product of Mr. Weidman's tutelage, then props to him also.
tod914
Andy, wheels look fantastic. Did you have the insets anodized?
ME733
popcorn[1].gif All the examples of polished wheels just do nothing for me. I prefer the original porsche design, finish, which is original. In my opinion, the extra "bling" of highly polished wheels detracts from the overall apperance of the car. I wonder if you would consider using the original finish wheels, or have them refinished to original condition befored going the highly polished route . Well everything is in the eye of the beholder, and what makes the 914 fun is the ability to roll your own, as the design can accomidate many different modifications and look great. for your consideration. popcorn[1].gif Murray
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.