Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside Rear Shock Tower after removing sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
Howdy all,

I cleaned out my rear shock tower and wanted to get your thoughts on welding the seams inside. Good idea? Bad idea? Do the X and Y but not the A and B? = )

Thoughts and views welcome.

Eric

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Wow, that's some clean metal. How did you get it so clean?

I've done seam welding on places where I'm doing rust repair. The question about seam welding on the shock tower is whether the spot welds done are a weak point in the structure or not.
Cire
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 19 2009, 06:51 AM) *

Wow, that's some clean metal. How did you get it so clean?

I've done seam welding on places where I'm doing rust repair. The question about seam welding on the shock tower is whether the spot welds done are a weak point in the structure or not.

= ) I am fairly anal and have more time than sense... I used a wire brush on a grinder and just stuck at it until it was all gone. I will get the heater tube corners done and send some pictures of those too.

The welds all look good, but wouldnt a weld along the seam just make it even stronger? Doesnt Patrick Motor sports weld the seams in the rear end? Just have it 100% apart and on a rotisserie and want to make sure I do all the stuff I can before I paint it and put it back together.

How much welding should be done? How much sealer stripping should be done? LOL Good questions I know.

= )

Eric

brant
I welded mine on a track only car
pictures in my build thread
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.