Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall shift rod bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
luvatenor
Having found that my slopping shifting was due to an absence of the firewall bushing. I proceeded to attempt to install one. After 2 hours of frustration and pain, I abandoned my effort to fight another day. Does anyone have an easy way(or easier) to install this bushing? Any comments are greatly appreciated- Rolf
Geezer914
Place the bushing in a pot of boiling hot water. This will make the bushing pliable. Use a wide blade sdrew driver to give it some help. It will resume its original shape after it cools. You can't install it with the shift rod in place.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Dec 20 2009, 01:23 PM) *

Place the bushing in a pot of boiling hot water. This will make the bushing pliable. Use a wide blade sdrew driver to give it some help. It will resume its original shape after it cools. You can't install it with the shift rod in place.

agree.gif

Pretty simple if you follow those rules. Once it is soft I usually give it a slap with a rubber mallet...pops right in!
luvatenor
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Dec 20 2009, 12:33 PM) *

agree.gif

Pretty simple if you follow those rules. Once it is soft I usually give it a slap with a rubber mallet...pops right in!

Unreal- I never thought of that- you might have saved me from more pain- thanks again-Rolf
luvatenor

agree.gif

Unreal- I never thought of that- you might have saved me from more pain- thanks again-Rolf- approx how long should I boil it?- I guess I should bring the pot out to the car- yes?-thanks again
luvatenor

agree.gif

Unreal- I never thought of that- you might have saved me from more pain- thanks again-Rolf- approx how long should I boil it?- I guess I should bring the pot out to the car- yes?-thanks again I did remove the shift rod first!
Cevan
Until its al dente?
Geezer914
Place it in the boiling water and bring the pot out to the car. It will be soft enough to work with, but you have to act fast.
Cap'n Krusty
Bring the pot out to the car? Dude! You'll NEVER get the job finished .................

On the serious side, it would have been a good thing had you asked forst, because you probably removed the shift rod at the base of the lever, and you've made yourself a bunch more work .............

The Cap'n
Jerry75914
wow, that is amazingly simple and effective! I wish I'd known before I did mine a ways back... headbang.gif
wobbletop
I used a heat gun as well to warm up the general area as well... otherwise the bushing gets real cold, real quick.
luvatenor
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 20 2009, 05:28 PM) *

Bring the pot out to the car? Dude! You'll NEVER get the job finished .................

On the serious side, it would have been a good thing had you asked forst, because you probably removed the shift rod at the base of the lever, and you've made yourself a bunch more work .............

The Cap'n

Yes Cap'n, I did remove the shift rod and placed it in the tunnel by the shifter. When I ordered the bushing from Pelican, this is what they told me to do. I didn't realize it would bring me more work than I needed- never did this before-a learning curve. Thanks again for your help-Rolf
watsonrx13
Here's my write up, with a link to this site. If you're not aware, we have a 914 Info section (see top of this page) that has various tech articles that our members have written to help the newbies.

-- Rob
tat2dphreak
I didn't get mine hot enough when I tried, but used a long bolt with a washer to act as a press to get it in... worked like a champ.
luvatenor
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 21 2009, 07:58 AM) *

I didn't get mine hot enough when I tried, but used a long bolt with a washer to act as a press to get it in... worked like a champ.

I am amazed. I used the boiled water method- timed it and once under the car took me 10 seconds to get it in! Worked like a charm and i owe it all to you- Thank you again-Rolf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.