Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Drain oil valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Is there a engine oil quick drain plug available for a 1.8? I see one on Pelican but it's for a -6. Does it work?

Ok. How often do you change the washer on the oil drain plug and is this the right one? Drain Plug Seal Washer, 22x27mm

How often do you clean out the sump filter? Thanks
santa_smiley.gif
sww914
I think it's too risky to use one of those on our engines. You don't want to rip it off of the bottom. Our sump plates face straight down and those are designed for V-8's and other engines with an oil pan and horizontal a drain plug. Change the oil every 3K and clean the screen, too.
tat2dphreak
you know, I thought about one of these... I mean if your type 4 doesn't leak enough, you can make it leak just the way you want it to... wink.gif who needs to change oil when you can just add more in every time you walk into the garage... tongue.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Dec 21 2009, 10:50 AM) *

you know, I thought about one of these... I mean if your type 4 doesn't leak enough, you can make it leak just the way you want it to... wink.gif who needs to change oil when you can just add more in every time you walk into the garage... tongue.gif

I had a Dodge Neon that had a bad oil leak. I kept adding oil all the time, and changed the oil and filter a couple of times a year. Drove it over 400,000 miles before selling it.
tat2dphreak
I drove a chevy Luv pickup in college like that...

occasionally the oil lght would come on, and I'd pull over and add some more oil... I bought the cheapest oil I could, by the case, because I knew it wasn't going to be in the engine for long.

eventually I pulled the engine, put a rebuild kit(gaskets, bearings and rings) in it and drove it from lubbock to austin all the time for another year... not bad for a $200 car, + $145 rebuild kit.. smile.gif

we need a "shitty car thread" all the crap cars we had to make due with smile.gif
jt914-6
Bill....The factory part number for the drain valve is F-109. PP must not want to stock it. I've used one on my work truck and pickup for years and have had no problems. I have one on my six on the tank/cooler hose. I put it in there to keep from having to undo a hose connection to drain tank and cooler for a oil change. Clearance would be a question on a four. It adds about an inch to the bottom of the engine case. You would have to bottom out pretty bad to knock it off. As I'm not running a four, I'm not sure what clearance problems there would be on a four....

Click to view attachment

http://www.fumotousa.com/
70Sixter
I definitely would not want one hanging low on my -6. But I have always wanted one for the oil tank. That hose set-up looks great!
Cevan
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 21 2009, 12:18 AM) *

Ok. How often do you change the washer on the oil drain plug and is this the right one? Drain Plug Seal Washer, 22x27mm

The washer is a cooper crush washer, size 12x18. This is NLA according to my local dealership. I bought a bunch online for cheap. I change it everytime the drain plug is removed.
bandjoey
I see why it's advertised for the six. Used on a line not the motor. Found a washer replacement at allzim. Com .60cents. Strange the sump gasket kit comes with 1 crush washer not 2 and the washer is nla.
jt914-6
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Dec 21 2009, 02:15 PM) *

I definitely would not want one hanging low on my -6. But I have always wanted one for the oil tank. That hose set-up looks great!

I used an aluminum "T" and welded on AN fittings. On the third outlet I welded a plate and tapped it to the size of the drain valve. I used JB weld since the valve was copper. I loosen the hose ends and turn the valve down to drain. The way it is in the pic it is turned to the side and there are no clearance problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.