Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member Map
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
If you click through to the Members Map link, there's a message that Frappr will no longer offer free maps as of 2010.

Admins, do we need to find an alternative?

The member map is a very cool idea - would be much better with greater participation. Could someone come up with a way to integrate location info from member profiles to automatically populate a member map instead of requiring each individual to opt in?
Rand
Hello google maps api. smile.gif Not only can it be done, but it would be nice if it wasn't dependent on a proprietary third party like frappr.

The location info from our profiles wouldn't be as accurate, and people aren't consistent about how they use the "from" info, but it could at least put a majority grouped in their region. To get any more accurate you would need the user's permission anyway. Maybe a checkbox in the user profile to grant permission and spec their address or gps coordinates... Uh oh, it's beginning to sound like a lot of work.
SirAndy
I've been working (a lot) with the new Google maps API lately.
It's fairly easy to do our own map here so we don't have to reply on someone else.

The only drawback would be that we have no good way of getting all the existing data out of the Frappr ...
That was Howards baby and i'm afraid his admin login is lost in space forever. sad.gif

We would have to start from scratch ...
idea.gif Andy
flipb
If we're going to host a new map on the site, I vote that we put it behind the forum login (like the Sandbox). Otherwise, a publicly-accessible map of where a bunch of cool rustpiles cars are located seems like a bad idea.

Maybe even tie it to the VIN registry instead of member profiles? idea.gif

Speaking of a lot of work...
SirAndy
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 21 2009, 10:50 AM) *

If we're going to host a new map on the site, I vote that we put it behind the forum login (like the Sandbox). Otherwise, a publicly-accessible map of where a bunch of cool rustpiles cars are located seems like a bad idea.

Yes on both accounts ...

I've been thinking about upgrading the VIN pages anyhow. And the profile pages. And ...
type.gif Andy
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2009, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 21 2009, 10:50 AM) *

Yes on both accounts ...

I've been thinking about upgrading the VIN pages anyhow. And the profile pages. And ...
type.gif Andy

Well... Don't just sit there, get to work! type.gif laugh.gif
Rand
Frappr supports KML backup. That would be the ideal way to get the existing data.

I wonder if there is anyway they would be reasonable with 914world... There's enough evidence here they should be open to seeing that our own Howard created the account and he isn't here to maintain it anymore. Maybe someone there would be willing to help an admin get a backup or reset the account credentials?
SLITS
Howard's password .... ferrari hose av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.