Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Impeller bolt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
OK, I was getting smug with myself for keeping such good track of all my parts. Now i cannot find the bolts that hold the impeller to the hub, not the bolt that holds the hub to the crank. Cannot even recall if there is a spacer that goes in the hub/crank bolt. Where can I find myself the proper parts?
SLITS
Any hardware store that sells metric fastners. Either flat headed or allen socket head as it depends on what your impeller looks like. If the impeller has a recess for the bolts use allen head.

or

CV joint bolts

And yes, the bolt that holds the hub to the crank has a washer.

Make sure you check the length of the bolts for the impeller to the hub. You don't want them sticking out of the hub on the backside where they will dig into the case.

Cap'n Krusty
Depending on which fan you have, there is a choice of 2 bolts. If the surface of the center area of the fan is flat, hex head bolts are used. If there are 3 counter sunk holes, then Allen head bolts are used. The length is CRITICAL; too short and you won't have enough thread engagement, too long and you'll eat the seal. The hub bolt has a flange under the head, and the surface of that flange has radial ribs cast in to help the bolt lock to the 6 (+/-) mm thick washer between the bolt head and the crankshaft. There is also a spacer between the fan and the hub. It is replaced with a pulley on cars with A/C. That spacer MUST be in there.

The Cap'n
jeffdon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 21 2009, 02:15 PM) *

Depending on which fan you have, there is a choice of 2 bolts. If the surface of the center area of the fan is flat, hex head bolts are used. If there are 3 counter sunk holes, then Allen head bolts are used. The length is CRITICAL; too short and you won't have enough thread engagement, too long and you'll eat the seal. The hub bolt has a flange under the head, and the surface of that flange has radial ribs cast in to help the bolt lock to the 6 (+/-) mm thick washer between the bolt head and the crankshaft. There is also a spacer between the fan and the hub. It is replaced with a pulley on cars with A/C. That spacer MUST be in there.

The Cap'n

Still hunting for the center bolt. This the spacer that goes between the hub and fan???
And another between the hub and crank?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Drums66
The keyway that slips into that notch in the hub
is missing?(not in the picture) idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.