Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission disassemble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
OK folks,
I have gotten the shift gears out of the trans housing and all appears well. I would like to take the differential out of the housing so I can clean everything, but wanted to check here for pit falls before I got the 13mm wrench warmed up. I did a search hear last night and looked through 13 pages of threads and did not see anything really about what I am planning. I also checked pelican and did not find much. Remember I don’t want to take the diff apart I just want it out of the case.

Thanks again

-Pete
Bleyseng
Go ahead and take it out but put it back in with new seals esp the drive seals.

Geoff
Red-Beard
Just remember that when you put it back in, the "gear side" goes in first...

You do not want to install it 911 style or you'll have 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears.

Ask Jake, he even took one of his cars out this way, supposedly up to 60 mph, in reverse!

A couple of things to note. Don't over tighten any of the nuts on the studs - 25 ft lbs. If you cannot acheive this, the stud has pulled out of the threads in the case and you need to re-install the stud with locktite.

All o-rings need to be replaced. All seals need to be replaced.

James

BTDT
TimT
agree.gif

whats with all the transmission questions the past few days?

I guess its always the right time for some trannies to be rebuilt
trojanhorsepower
Thanks guys

It's all apart and cleaned. Unfortuntely I found some problems while I was in there (not totaly unexpected). It looks like there is some ware on the 1st and second gear Dog teeth. I will post pics later. Also the case is cracked where the bottom starter bolt goes through. I am at work now so I will have to wait till I get home to post pics.

Thanks again

-Pete
trojanhorsepower
I think this dog needs a dentist. What do you guys think. Too worn, or can I put in a new syncro and seals and run for a while (at least till I can save up the $750 to get one from Red Beard).

-Pete
Bleyseng
Time for a new slider!

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.