Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any easy ways to install the 3 piece top targa seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
I used wd40 to lube up the one side and attempted entry; but failed half way through, the side I was working on just would not budge after I got half stuffed in there....

Any ways to get that seal in with out breaking it? or disfiguring it?
drgchapman
I think WD40 is bad for rubber, not completely sure, but I used soapy water and it worked fine. You need to be sure to flatten out the crimps in the channel from the factory prior sliding it in as well. You should ask Mikey914, the 914 rubber guru, he knows.
tradisrad
I just did my targa seal. I used windex to lube it. It was not easy to install and took a bit of time. I worked one side at a time and lubed the leading and trailing ends of the rubber/track as I worked it in. Be aware that the track may have been pinched to hold the previous seal and any pinching needs to be straightened before the rubber will slide in.
ahdoman
Aside from the tracks on the sides make sure all the screws are flush or they'll dig into the rubber and stop it. Also make sure you are pulling it in as well as pushing.
PanelBilly
I just talked dirty yo it and slipped it right in. That and took out the crimps
VaccaRabite
lots of dish soap. pulled down on the rubber with plyers while pushing from the top. LOTS of cussing, but it went in.

zach
Mikey914
Soapy water.

If it's one of mine PM me you email and I'll forward the installation instructions. If it's not they wouldn't do you any good as the construction is different.
koozy
I've done a few and one thing that made it WAY easier was to clean the channel thouroughly. The old seals will leave a tiny bit of rubber and/or grime in the inner corners of the channel. I used a cheapo, small (like eyeglass screwdriver type) very thin tip screwdriver and ground the tip to make it even sharper (channel removed from car) and after spraying with brake clean I cleaned the heck out of the corners. A surprising amount of crud was in those tight corners. (like the powdery white stuff that is on a new seal so it's kinda hard to see with the naked eye which was all gummed up). WD-40 felt like it swelled the rubber a little so it didn't work well for me. I used spray graphite (the kind used to lube locks). Sprayed the channel first (after putting it back on the car) then sprayed some in the slot on the seal and the inner face of the seal which will be inside the channel. Used a paper towel to get grip on the lower part of the seal (cus this stuff get's slippery as heck) and pull it in from the bottom while pushing the top a little. I also pry the channel edges open a hair to make sure there is ample space for the thing to slide in. "MOST" times it just slides right in after this prep. I found, if it didn't just slide in, I didn't make sure the channel had enough room for the seal.

Hope this helps.

Click to view attachment
*kennyd*914
I think the easiest way to show you would be to have you bring it over to my place and I'll show you how to install it.
Rather than risking scratching the paint on your car, I'll show you on my car. lol-2.gif
blitZ
I use McGuires rubber restore/protectant. It's real slippery and good for the seal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.